Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

OOC Chat

The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Moderator: JadedDM

Forum rules
The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Placed on Hiatus....
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: OOC Chat

Post by JadedDM »

Talyn is right, we're not following a script. I know the DL modules are a bit infamous for railroading, but they're not quite that bad. :lol:

Just play Caramon as you remember him. Unless you go way out to left field with him (i.e., murdering innocents because they looked at you funny or something), I don't think there'll be any problems.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

I guess I had a few Laurana things to get out of my system, ie the meeting with Tanis, and now they are on the road she can do what she wants.

The Elven Princess Railroad stops here.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

I may be really busy from now till Monday. My posting may be somewhat sporadic. If things are moving well, don't wait to long for me to post.
"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

SightbinderX will be bowing out for the time being, due to his hectic schedule. Consequently, I will be taking over for Tanis.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Yeah, I havent heard from him in days, usually hear from him at least 5 times a day....

:(
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
SightblinderX
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SightblinderX »

Sorry... been so tired lately. so so tired...
[b]Kensai & Professional Hero[/b]
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

*lays a hand on SBX's shoulder*
Don't worry, go sleep your full. We miss you, but can carry on without you until you're ready to come back. ;)
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

How are we doing so far, folks? Having fun? Things moving fast enough for you--or too fast? I'm trying to find a good pace here, where things move forward regularly but I don't want to leave anyone behind, either.
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

The pace is moving along fine, JadedDM. I'm sorry that I haven't kept up the pace myself.

SBX, hope you get some rest man. I know what its like to be in zombie mode for days on end.

As for traveling order....

Tas is up front, followed by Flint and Tanis.

Riverwind and Goldmoon are in the back.

It looks like Sturm, Lauranna, Caramon, and Raistlin are somewhere in the middle. Either Caramon and Raistlin followed by Lauranna and Sturm or the reverse. Keep Caramon and Sturm on opposite sides and staggered with Riverwind. Basically just don't have Raistlin and Goldmoon on the same side and in front and back of each other.
"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

mltillis wrote: Basically just don't have Raistlin and Goldmoon on the same side and in front and back of each other.
Why on earth not?

And yes, I'm happy with the game. I was *not happy at all* (in fact, very annoyed) when, try as I might, there was no way to assure us all a good night's sleep at the inn, but I've recovered.
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

Breila wrote:
mltillis wrote: Basically just don't have Raistlin and Goldmoon on the same side and in front and back of each other.
Why on earth not?

Trying to keep the heavier meat-shields spread out evenly. If an attack were to come from the right, and Goldmoon and Raistlin were both on that side in front and back of each other; Caramon and Riverwind would both have to step around the two. Plus frailer looking members close together ( whether they are frailer or not ) could give the impression of a weak spot in the formation.

Still we could have Sturm and Caramon side by side and Lauranna and Raistlin directly in front of them. That would work just as well.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Breila wrote:Why on earth not?
Cooties.
Breila wrote:And yes, I'm happy with the game. I was *not happy at all* (in fact, very annoyed) when, try as I might, there was no way to assure us all a good night's sleep at the inn, but I've recovered.
Was sleeping at the inn important?

I should probably forewarn you now, then, that there are little moments like this in these modules that are, for lack of a better term, blatant railroading. I apologize in advance for these, particularly when they are noticeable to the players. Ironically enough, I never use railroading in my homebrew games. But then, my games have a very organic storyline that is designed to grow and change with the players' choice.

When these modules were first created, back in the 80s, the idea of having an overlying story was kind of a new idea. Previously to that, modules didn't really have stories beyond the basic plot, which was usually something like 'go clean out the local mine of monsters' or 'save the mayor's daughter from orcs.'

Something I often say about video games, and is true in D&D as well, is that the tighter the narrative, the better the story. But fewer choices. When I heard that Dragon Age II was to have a 'tighter narrative' than the first game, I immediately knew what that meant--less choices. And I was dead right about that.

Not to say the entire thing is completely linear. To be honest, after spending years hearing from old vets about how badly railroaded the Chronicle series is, I was actually surprised by just how much freedom there is in these old things. But there are certain things that are 'supposed' to happen. And because these modules are so old, and the concept was so new at the time, the railroading can come off a bit crude and overhanded at times.

For instance, what if Goldmoon and Riverwind, strangers in a strange land, decide not to trust the party of weirdos? What then? Well, the module contrives that after leaving the inn, they will continually 'bump into' Tanis and the others by random chance, again and again, until they decide to work together finally.

The scene with the old man, Hederick, and the staff was taken from the books, not the module. I chose that instead, because I felt it was more interesting and exciting, but was also a solid way to get the party together and reveal that Goldmoon had the Blue Crystal Staff and what it is capable of doing. By showing they were all willing to help defend her, and were not just trying to get the staff for themselves, they show she can trust them.

Maybe that was a bad call on my part. Would Goldmoon have joined them anyway? Would she have told them about the Blue Crystal Staff and demonstrated its powers to them? (Because without that knowledge, the party has no motive to go on the quest to learn more about the staff and likely would have spend several days at the inn before getting bored enough to go find something to do.) I also admit I was getting a little bored after over 10 pages of everyone just sitting at the inn, talking. Player interactions are great and all, but I suppose I was getting overeager to get on the road and get at the meat of the quest. In any case, I am very sorry about that. I'll try to curb myself in the future.

There will be other events where the party is 'required' to do something, however. For instance, it won't really matter where you take the staff (Haven, Qualinost, etc.) because they will all direct you to the same place and you have to go to that place. If you try and leave Abanasinia, wave after wave of infinite bad guys will fight you until you turn back. If you wait around too many days, stalling, the bad guys start to move forward, slowly cutting you off from anywhere but the place you are supposed to go. (I don't want to say the place for the sake of spoilers. But anyone who's read the books, seen the movie, or played the game knows what 'place' I am speaking about. Or who the 'bad guys' are, for that matter.)

If it helps at all, try not to think of it as the module railroading you, but rather as Goldmoon having a destiny and her goddess is kind of moving things around on the chess table of life to ensure that certain things happen. A lame justification, I know. But for what it's worth, I am trying to give you guys as much freedom as the module will allow without hampering its main story.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Quite ok with the prompts myself, while the story we are playing is quite different, we have certain places we have to go.. :)

Of course its how we get there, not where we are going... :D

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Jaded, I wasn't complaining! Just recapitulating how I felt at that moment. Of course I know that certain things have to happen for the module to work, and so when I realized that whatever I tried, you found a way to push me towards revealing I had the staff - a most unwise thing to do, really - I gave in. Perhaps it was a rage of disappointment that the old man who seemed to be in favour of the old gods really was an ennemy and not an ally that made it so bitter. Hence the curse.

There might be another battle of wills and wits, and I know and accept that it's you who controls the game, and I'm thankful you invest all the time and effort. I might get upset, throw a tantrum because I don't get my way, but in the end, I will always return faithfully to the computer to find out what happens next. You - and everyone who plays with us - are enriching my life, and I don't want to miss it. Thanks to you all, and especially to you, Master Jaded.

P.S.: Sorry, but what does "cooties" mean?
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

Breila wrote:P.S.: Sorry, but what does "cooties" mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooties