Magical weapons that return.. how?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Magical weapons that return.. how?

Post by garhkal »

A Few magical items, when you hurl them, they return to the hurler..

SO HOW DO YOU have that return happen?

Does it blink out from where it hits (or lands if it missed) and appear back in the throwers hand?
Does it fly back into his hand (ala Thor's hammer)
Does it fade out, and the thrower have it fade in?
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Re: Magical weapons that return.. how?

Post by JadedDM »

I've never had one in any of my games, at least not that I can remember. But if I did, probably the third one (fade in, fade out), as that was how it worked with Wulfgar's hammer in the Drizzt books. So I tend to imagine it working like that as a result.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

The few times I did it, I had it mimic Mjölnir. It gave the opposition an opportunity to try and intercept it once they realized what was happening. Succeeding was a different matter.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

How do you handle, then trying to intercept/grab it??
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

I did it as an abilities check (Dex/athletics) akin to someone running and trying to catch (intercept) a ball with certain conditions:
  • 1. You could not be the person that was attacked, unless you have a special ability. (Imaging what would happen if someone threw Mjölnir at Thor.)
    2. They could not have been involved in any sort of melee combat the round it happens in.
    3. The character attempting to intercept is so focused, they do not get any Dex based mods to their AC if attacked while trying. (Also any successful attack upon them causes an automatic fail to intercept.)
If they succeed in the abilities check:
  • 1. The weapons motion can be stopped (if possible) or deflected (also if possible) if the character is unable to wield the weapon. (Think Mjölnir once more. Who can lift it?)
    2. Any special powers/effects of the weapon are in play. For example:
    • They can't lift Mjölnir, but can grip it. So they would be holding on to it while it returns to Thor.
      They would be automatically subject to any 'special' damage caused by the weapon. I.E. Cold/Fire, Good/Evil
Basically the character doing this is intentionally putting themselves in harm's way. Doing something like this is difficult in reality so I tried to mirror that in game when I used to happen. On the flip side it is also a very heroic action, so I made sure the XP reflected it appropriately.

Naturally depending on which edition you're using will determine how you do it if you wish.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

Yeah, pretty much as Luk has posted. I had a player once with a returning axe. Nobody ever tried to stop that axe though during combat. But if someone did, I would do pretty much the same sort of thing Luk has presented. ;)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons