Location, Location, Location ...

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Poll: Wondering which of these locations might have more D&D players.

Augusta, GA
No votes
Monroe, LA
No votes
Charlotte, NC
67%
West Palm Beach, FL
No votes
Nashville, TN
No votes
Other, (state in comments)
33%

Total votes: 3

Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Re: Location, Location, Location ...

Post by Lukafio »

Well if 5E is less byzantine than 2E, then I'll go on record as preferring the pre-historic versions before 2E. The original and its modules will always have a soft spot with me.
Last edited by Lukafio on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by New Hegdeh »

JadedDM wrote:
New Hegdeh wrote:More like someone who wanted to try videogames went for high quality emulators of nes and supernes games... since the books are online, but I understand, its morally questionable to use the books that are online.
Actually, emulators and ROMs are considered illegal, too. Even for old games that aren't published any more. (At least, in my country, anyway. Can't speak for others.)
good point, I personally avoid emulators.
JadedDM wrote:
New Hegdeh wrote:...players can be made to enjoy...
I'm not sure enjoyment is something that can be forced.
that's not what I meant
JadedDM wrote:That said, how much luck have you had in convincing new players to switch to 2E? Pretty sure every single person I tried it on eventually switched over to 5E anyway in the end.
New Hegdeh wrote:the 5th edition isnt a better system.
Depends on what one's definition of 'better' is. It's certainly more intuitive, more streamlined and considerably less byzantine than 2E.
2e isn't that byzantine to me, but I guess, different strokes.
Every minute is a year of struggle
TristenC
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by TristenC »

Lukafio wrote:
JadedDM wrote:This would be like if someone decided they wanted to try videogames, so they scour the internet to find an old Atari 2600, instead of just picking up an Xbox or PS5 or a Switch.
Why are you calling the Atari 2600 old? It is an awesome upgrade from Sega's Pong. :rolllaugh:
I wonder if my lil sister still has ours?
Found this in my old room when i stopped by my mom's a week ago
Attachments
fun
fun
1fun.jpg (295.16 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
What doesn't kill you just means you made your save... this time...
TristenC
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by TristenC »

TristenC wrote:
New Hegdeh wrote:
there are other venues, but I guess those are morally questionable
Actually, http://www.purpleworm.org/rules/ makes specifically the 2e books (mostly the core and several of the more popular splatbooks) available online for free. There is even a legal disclaimer on the front page so users don't have to wonder or worry about crossing the line.

Also, https://www.drivethrurpg.com/ makes an absolute plethora of sourcebooks, modules, suppliments etc for all kinds of rpgs available in digital format, or print.
in fact, for the 50 USD$ you would spend on one 5e book in a store in the states, you could get a print 2e dmg, phb and a module or two (albeit the modules might be digital at that price).

also, recetly observed in my local game store...
Attachments
Screenshot_20210202-001127_Gallery~2.jpg
Screenshot_20210202-001127_Gallery~2.jpg (273.04 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
What doesn't kill you just means you made your save... this time...
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

TristenC wrote:
TristenC wrote:
New Hegdeh wrote:
there are other venues, but I guess those are morally questionable
Actually, http://www.purpleworm.org/rules/ makes specifically the 2e books (mostly the core and several of the more popular splatbooks) available online for free. There is even a legal disclaimer on the front page so users don't have to wonder or worry about crossing the line.

Also, https://www.drivethrurpg.com/ makes an absolute plethora of sourcebooks, modules, suppliments etc for all kinds of rpgs available in digital format, or print.
in fact, for the 50 USD$ you would spend on one 5e book in a store in the states, you could get a print 2e dmg, phb and a module or two (albeit the modules might be digital at that price).

also, recetly observed in my local game store...
and these are good news :D
Every minute is a year of struggle