Location, Location, Location ...

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Poll: Wondering which of these locations might have more D&D players.

Augusta, GA
No votes
Monroe, LA
No votes
Charlotte, NC
67%
West Palm Beach, FL
No votes
Nashville, TN
No votes
Other, (state in comments)
33%

Total votes: 3

Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Location, Location, Location ...

Post by Lukafio »

Life has tossed me a curve ball and it :sucks: :moon:

I'm gunna try and make the best of it and see if I can have some fun in the mean time.
So just for giggles, which location do you think has the most opportunity to find players? :charge
Last edited by Lukafio on Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Location, Location, Location ...

Post by JadedDM »

They're all southern states, so it's hard to say. I grew up in MS, and granted that was over 20 years ago so no idea what it's like now, but back then the Satanic Panic was pretty popular, so D&D was seen as evil.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

On further research, I'll go with Charlotte, by virtue of it having the largest population. The way I figure, the more people in a city, the more likely you'll find D&D players.

Monroe - 46,780 people
West Palm Beach - 112,852 people
Augusta - 198,751 people
Charlotte - 2,054,000 people
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

wow, their populations sure are small, arent they more like towns than like cities?
Every minute is a year of struggle
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

JadedDM wrote:On further research, I'll go with Charlotte, by virtue of it having the largest population. The way I figure, the more people in a city, the more likely you'll find D&D players.

Monroe - 46,780 people
West Palm Beach - 112,852 people
Augusta - 198,751 people
Charlotte - 2,054,000 people
New Hegdeh wrote:wow, their populations sure are small, arent they more like towns than like cities?
I've been to all of them years (decades?) ago. I can agree with the populations for Charlotte and Monroe. WPB & Augusta are deceptive though, and this will also answer Hegdeh's question. Both are part of greater metro areas. So within their limits, those are the residents, but take into account the area and you are in the millions.

LOL for as long as I've been playing, D&D was always seen as evil. I'll find me some mischievous souls to turn. Mujahahaha :orc:
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Oh ok.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

New Hegdeh wrote:wow, their populations sure are small, arent they more like towns than like cities?
In Canada I think it's 30,000 to become a city, I live next to the 3rd largest, maybe the 4th largest city in ALL Alberta and we only have 100k, just over. ;) So that kinda looks funny to me. But in the USA that's probably a joke.

Anyway, yeah, I'd go with population for players, the more people, the more odds. I found almost none where I used to live on the island, now I'm here, I have talked to all kinds of people that play D&D. It's easy... even my daughters teacher plays :D

Unfortunately they all seem to play 5e :( or some new age system. Still haven't run into any 2Eers :(
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Makes sense, though. No new 2E material has been published in over 20 years.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Cole wrote:
In Canada I think it's 30,000 to become a city, I live next to the 3rd largest, maybe the 4th largest city in ALL Alberta and we only have 100k, just over. ;) So that kinda looks funny to me. But in the USA that's probably a joke.
Well, Lima has 9674800 inhabitants at 12 thousand per kilometer square... So yeah, its a matter of perspective, but I rather life in a place with only 131136 inhabitants or so... City life is alienating...
Cole wrote:Anyway, yeah, I'd go with population for players, the more people, the more odds. I found almost none where I used to live on the island, now I'm here, I have talked to all kinds of people that play D&D. It's easy... even my daughters teacher plays :D

Unfortunately they all seem to play 5e :( or some new age system. Still haven't run into any 2Eers :(
Try to convince them to try 2nd edition, if they play 5th edition they are easier to persuade that if they do not play at all.

JadedDM wrote:Makes sense, though. No new 2E material has been published in over 20 years.
There is no need for new material, with the wealth of material AD&D already has, all you need is to know where to find it.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

From my perspective, currently next to a major metro area with about as many people a Lima in approximately 6,900 square miles (18,000 km2) of land. I have lived in several major American cities and am done with it. I yearn for 30K or less spread over an area. I know that reduces the odds of finding players. All my stuff is older than 2E anywho. LOL Once we can resume tabletop gaming, I'll find something wherever I end up.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

New Hegdeh wrote:There is no need for new material, with the wealth of material AD&D already has, all you need is to know where to find it.
Well, that's sort of what I mean. Nothing is being published; not just new material, but old material, either. It's no longer in print. You can't walk into a bookstore or a Target and just pick some up like you can with 5E. You need to track them down on eBay or something like that. Why would any new players go through all that effort and expense when they can just play the current version, which everyone else all around them is already playing?

This would be like if someone decided they wanted to try videogames, so they scour the internet to find an old Atari 2600, instead of just picking up an Xbox or PS5 or a Switch.

The only new players picking up 2E would be the ones who are being taught by old 2E players. And of those few, even fewer would choose to stick with it, as 5E is far more popular and streamlined.

So trying to find 2E players is quite a challenge; something I learned the hard way years ago.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Lukafio wrote:From my perspective, currently next to a major metro area with about as many people a Lima in approximately 6,900 square miles (18,000 km2) of land. I have lived in several major American cities and am done with it. I yearn for 30K or less spread over an area. I know that reduces the odds of finding players. All my stuff is older than 2E anywho. LOL Once we can resume tabletop gaming, I'll find something wherever I end up.
preach it.
JadedDM wrote:
New Hegdeh wrote:There is no need for new material, with the wealth of material AD&D already has, all you need is to know where to find it.
Well, that's sort of what I mean. Nothing is being published; not just new material, but old material, either. It's no longer in print. You can't walk into a bookstore or a Target and just pick some up like you can with 5E. You need to track them down on eBay or something like that. Why would any new players go through all that effort and expense when they can just play the current version, which everyone else all around them is already playing?
there are other venues, but I guess those are morally questionable
JadedDM wrote:This would be like if someone decided they wanted to try videogames, so they scour the internet to find an old Atari 2600, instead of just picking up an Xbox or PS5 or a Switch.
More like someone who wanted to try videogames went for high quality emulators of nes and supernes games... since the books are online, but I understand, its morally questionable to use the books that are online.
JadedDM wrote:The only new players picking up 2E would be the ones who are being taught by old 2E players. And of those few, even fewer would choose to stick with it, as 5E is far more popular and streamlined.
that's the challenge, but players can be made to enjoy the less streamlined and less munchkiny 2E
JadedDM wrote:So trying to find 2E players is quite a challenge; something I learned the hard way years ago.
their loss.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

JadedDM wrote:This would be like if someone decided they wanted to try videogames, so they scour the internet to find an old Atari 2600, instead of just picking up an Xbox or PS5 or a Switch.
Why are you calling the Atari 2600 old? It is an awesome upgrade from Sega's Pong. :rolllaugh:
I wonder if my lil sister still has ours?
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

You make me remember another point, videogames nowadays are technologically improved next to the young Atari 2600, but the tech for D&D isn't better now that it was in the 90s, the 5th edition isnt a better system.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

New Hegdeh wrote:More like someone who wanted to try videogames went for high quality emulators of nes and supernes games... since the books are online, but I understand, its morally questionable to use the books that are online.
Actually, emulators and ROMs are considered illegal, too. Even for old games that aren't published any more. (At least, in my country, anyway. Can't speak for others.)
New Hegdeh wrote:...players can be made to enjoy...
I'm not sure enjoyment is something that can be forced.

That said, how much luck have you had in convincing new players to switch to 2E? Pretty sure every single person I tried it on eventually switched over to 5E anyway in the end.
New Hegdeh wrote:the 5th edition isnt a better system.
Depends on what one's definition of 'better' is. It's certainly more intuitive, more streamlined and considerably less byzantine than 2E.