Gaming and the vaccine..

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Gaming and the vaccine..

Post by garhkal »

I wonder.. With the latest word from the CDC< about "those who are fully vaccinated, can now go maskless most anywhere', how THIS will impact gaming conventions?!
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Really depends on the convention, I suppose. Some will probably still be canceled this year, just to play it safe. Others might open up normally, or at limited capacity. It will probably depend on a number of factors, such as where it is held, when it is usually held, how big it usually is, etc.
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

JadedDM wrote:Four months later, and now I've had both shots and am totally vaccinated (or 'vaxxed to the max' as I like to say). Unfortunately, my work hours have quadrupled, and I don't actually have time to try putting together an in-person D&D group now. :(
I feel your pain, JDM.
I've been working six days a week since returning from pandemic-induced furlough in mid-September. What I wouldn't give to be bored these days.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Be thankful both of you have jobs still!
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

garhkal wrote:Be thankful both of you have jobs still!
That is what makes the whole thing bearable. Better to be going crazy at work than going crazy looking for work.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

Stik wrote:
That is what makes the whole thing bearable. Better to be going crazy at work than going crazy looking for work.
And some of us are just plain old going crazy.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Lukafio wrote:
Stik wrote:
And some of us are just plain old going crazy.
Hey.. If you're already weird enough, you don't have to worry about going crazy.. :D
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

On the bright side, I actually managed to put together a game. Sort of.

It's just one player (who is also fully vaccinated). I've decided to convert one of the old HHQ series, specifically Wizard's Challenge, over to 5E. My hope is to eventually build up a full group, some day. But for now, this will work.

She rolled a half-elf wild sorcerer. For those not familiar with the module, the HHQ series were a series of solo adventures--Fighter's Challenge, Wizard's Challenge, Cleric's Challenge, Thief's Challenge, etc. They tend to be roleplay heavy and combat light, since they are designed for a party of one. Wizard's Challenge is basically a magical murder mystery. This particular player enjoys interacting with NPCs and getting to know them, and that's a big part of this one, so it's a good fit. I'm hoping to have everything ready for our first session later this week, or failing that, next week.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Hope it goes well for ya.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

I remember those. I use to use them to help get things going when party creation was dragging, This way the players that were done didn't have to wait on slow poke. The benefit was they had a leg up on XP. I didn't do it all the time though. I think drivethruRPG has the PDFs for sale.

As for the thread topic ... a group I played with reached out to see if I wanted to play in person. I would have been happy to join them, except conditions were not conducive to the style of mixed gathering. So I'll keep waiting and enjoy my refound love for paining minis.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

I'm FULLY vaccinated now. Couldn't tell my son to get it and not do it myself. However, months have passed now and absolutely nothing has happened to me (if anyone is keeping tally). I felt a small pinch both times, zero side effects. All this did was waste some time and hopefully prevent me from getting pneumonia again and dying.

So now I can game again, however NONE of my friends are vaxed, so none of them can come into my home as my wife has strictly forbid that from happening. So once again I'll wait until they ALL get vaxed one way or another, mandated or otherwise.

I mainly just want to be "allowed" to be around my friends again .... don't care what the government wants.
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

I'm one of the unvaccinated. Early on, my thinking was simply....I'm low risk, I don't go out and socialize much, and I've never been a big early adopter of things, let alone medical treatments with abnormally fast development periods. Let's wait and see what happens.

As time goes on, I become more and more resistant to the idea of getting the shots. Government is getting realllly pushy about it, and are stripping rights and freedoms away. I do not trust their intent. I do not trust the media, I've had unique viewpoints on some controversial subjects in the past, and I know they lie through their teeth about damn near anything. And I certainly don't trust pharma corps whose sole objective is to make money, especially how they handled the development of these treatments, or how they suppress other potential treatments.

I think at this point, one of my biggest motivations for not getting it, is because that slimy lying sonofabitch globalist bastard we call a Prime Minster is demanding I comply. No. Go join your daddy (not Pierre) in hell you piece of commie trash.

And this business about "only vaccinated people allowed" is hogwash. Rubbish! We've seen in various countries, the greatest example being Israel, where despite having high vaccination rates, they continue to have high rates of infection. It's clear none of the shots prevent you from contracting the virus, and it does not prevent you from spreading it if you have it. And now they want you to chase the endlessly moving goal post of "fully vaccinated" by adding booster shot on booster shot.

So stop restricting your games based on vaccination status, it's pointless. And at the end of the day, realize the simple truth. You cannot trust the government, the media, Big Pharma, or Big Tech. They have none of your interests in mind, and you should question their intent when they wish to take your rights and freedoms away, and restrict what you can do or say.

And I don't see a good path out of this situation. Stuck on this crap train with no brakes, all that's left is to wait for it to derail, then see if I'm still standing to pick up the pieces and move on.
The Kobold gonna kobold.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

The vaccine is perfectly safe, CK. I've had it since April, and I'm not magnetic, my DNA is not changing, my health is not failing, my hair and teeth aren't falling out. Nor is anyone else's.
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

The vaccine is perfectly safe
There's literally a database for reporting potential adverse reactions, and it's use has exploded since the roll out of vaccinations. We've seen AstraZeneca pulled from some countries, and Moderna restricted from being used on young adults due to concerns over the impact on their hearts. There is a measure of concern for potential risk, and I know people with family members who have had adverse reactions. These are actual injuries, and not just "hey I can hang a spoon off my shoulder now" nonsense. Please don't dismiss their experiences.

I've gathered what information I can despite rampant misinformation on all sides. Yes. All sides. I've considered the statistics, the risks, and I made what I believe to be an informed choice. Is it the right one? Time will tell. But....

It's my choice. Not the governments. So they can piss off with their coercement and threats. The harder they push, the more vindicated in my choice I feel. Like I said, I don't trust their intentions, and the pushier they get, the less I trust them.

Anyways, I hope my group can go back to in person gaming soon, but we have one hold out, which is due to a family member undergoing cancer treatments, so they want to limit potential exposure to any infections, not just covid, as much as possible. Is what it is.
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

JadedDM wrote:
The odds of the vaccine hurting or killing you is tremendously low. Far, far lower than the odds of COVID-19 killing you. Refusing to take it on that basis is the equivalent of refusing to ever take a shower, because of the infinitesimal odds that you might slip on some soap and die.

The truth is, the vaccines are safe. Want to know how you can be sure? Because the rich and powerful are jumping to get them. If there was any doubt as to their safety, they would be taking a 'wait and see' approach, watching to see how they would affect the plebs first. After all, they can just hold up in their mansions/yachts/private islands indefinitely, so there's no reason for them to rush if there were any doubts at all.
Bang on! These conspiracy folks are forgetting one major thing. The world governments aren't about to kill off 80% of the population, they wouldn't have any robots left to work and do their bidding.

I'm fully vaxxed now and had ZERO issues, almost didn't even know I got the shots at all. Same with my son, wife .... but I'm not going to vax my daughter, to young (no need). The odds of dying from COVID at these young ages are ALSO equivalent to to slipping on soap and dying (probably less)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons