Gaming and the vaccine..

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Gaming and the vaccine..

Post by garhkal »

So far, we've had a Full year almost, of folks not being able to game in person (and NO i do not consider roll20 or the like, to be gaming in person).

With a vaccine now coming out, what are YOUR thoughts on gaming, and getting the vaccine?
With news about firms already being given the 'green light' to tell workers "GET THE VACCINE OR LOSE YOUR JOB", and other businesses already making waves about mandating the vaccine for customers to still use their services (Public venues/concerts/airlines etc), i am wanting to ask folk

"As a DM/player, would you support mandating the vaccine, for folks to get back to in person gaming, whether locally, or at gaming conventions? Would YOU as a player/DM, openly decline to game in person, with someone who has not been vaccinated?!"

For Conventions, would YOU be ok with them, mandating folks show a "covid vaccine card" before they can register for events/come into the arenas?

PS all, this HAS been ran by Cole, and he gave the thumbs up.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Gaming and the vaccine..

Post by New Hegdeh »

I am all pro vaccine and my parents are wanting to wait a little on using it, but I dont think the vaccine is the final solution on the pandemic, its a solution, but it wont solve everything from night to day, numbers would need to get down before I considered playing in person
Every minute is a year of struggle
SgtSlag
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SgtSlag »

I have been gaming in person, at home, and at a friend's house, with 6-10 people in attendance at each game. All sans mask. I will skip any political commentary.

We ran a demo game of 2e BattleSystem at the local gaming store, with each of us wearing a mask, the entire time, back in November/December.

I choose not to mandate a vaccination on anyone. Would I attend a public event knowing that a vaccine card was NOT required to gain admission? Yes, I already have, several times.

Am I an anti-vaccer? No.

Do I tremble in fear of dying, without the vaccine? No.

Am I a high/low risk person for COVID-19? High risk.

I would rather live 10 years of fun and exciting life, as opposed to 60 years of barely living, due to fear. YMMV.
Cheers! :coffee:
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

While I do not believe we will become a version of I am Legend, I am not rushing out to get myself vaccinated just yet. Let science do its thing is my thought. As for gaming, I believe in precautions. For me this is not born out of fear but rather because of what I have seen in my life. There is a safe and sane way we gather if done smartly. My thoughts, we are not there yet. Do I miss the social interactions? You bet I do. I have gone with out gaming before and survived, I will do so again.
:funky:
I don't know who or how many will recall this, but there was a time when people refused to wear seatbelts and swore they were more dangerous than not wearing them. Now it is habit for many to enter a car and put them on without a thought. Are all the safer for it? Who knows, but it doesn't hurt me to wear one.
:beer:

EDIT NOTE: The picture and reference to I am Legend is just joke and nothing more. :rolllaugh:
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

I haven't gamed in person, face to face, in years now.

But if I did, or if I ever do again (and I admit, it is something I've been thinking about), it would only be after the vaccine has been made available to everyone, for safety reasons.

Would I game with an anti-vaxxer? No. Anyone who values their own 'freedom' to catch and spread a disease that has killed nearly 400,000 Americans so far over the safety of their neighbors, friends and family is not someone who I'd want at my table, even putting aside safety concerns.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

JadedDM wrote:I haven't gamed in person, face to face, in years now.

But if I did, or if I ever do again (and I admit, it is something I've been thinking about), it would only be after the vaccine has been made available to everyone, for safety reasons.

Would I game with an anti-vaxxer? No. Anyone who values their own 'freedom' to catch and spread a disease that has killed nearly 400,000 Americans so far over the safety of their neighbors, friends and family is not someone who I'd want at my table, even putting aside safety concerns.
What about someone who doesn't want to take it, TILL all the bugs get worked out (ie all the damn side effects). OR one who for religious (Or other) reasons, doesn't take vaccines??
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

What bugs? What side effects?

What religion has objections to vaccines? I'm not aware of any that do.

The only good reason to not take a vaccine is if you are physically unable to, due to health reasons (someone with immunodeficiency, for instance).
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

garhkal wrote:
"As a DM/player, would you support mandating the vaccine, for folks to get back to in person gaming, whether locally, or at gaming conventions? Would YOU as a player/DM, openly decline to game in person, with someone who has not been vaccinated?!"

For Conventions, would YOU be ok with them, mandating folks show a "covid vaccine card" before they can register for events/come into the arenas?
1.) I'm not OK with them mandating anything really. But if I had the vax, I wouldn't be worried at all about who around me did or did not. If they do mandate it, I would hope that it's more than a year or so down the road so "proper testing" has had time to occur.

2.) See above as I feel the same for all questions.

Since we have seen multiple strains now and scientists are not sure if the current vaccine even works on the "south-African" variant yet (at least not fully), then forcing a vaccine at this point seems quite idiotic. However, as I have spent nearly a year now reading and watching videos etc on this subject and dealing with it in my workplace, I have a better grasp on what is going to happen in the future then most.

It's quite apparent to me and many others that this Covid-19 will keep evolving and be forever changing just like a flu virus and you WILL require a booster shot of sorts EVERY YEAR just like a flu shot, which will allow you to stay vaccinated. There isn't going to be a save all vaccine. < FALSE hope. ( I could be wrong, but some experts predict this already)

So like a flu shot, which I never get and which is not mandated (at least not in Canada), I'll probably pass at least until a later date and more testing. Overall, I hope most people get it (just like a flu shot) and life can continue on and we can all get back to conventions etc.

So, get the shot if you want. If a convention says you need a card to get in, then so be it. Get your card. If you want in bad enough, you'll do it. As for me, I'll pass.
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

JadedDM wrote:What bugs? What side effects?
Well, as per this AARP site, it has a few side effects..
https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... fects.html
Federal analyses of both vaccine trials show that few adverse events — which the CDC defines as any health problem that happens after a shot — separate from the less serious side effects were reported. Swollen lymph nodes (lymphadenopathy) occurred in a small portion of the participant population. And four people who received Pfizer’s vaccine and three who received Moderna’s developed Bell’s palsy, which, in most cases, causes temporary weakness or paralysis in the face.
Now, that's on top of several reports i've seen, of folks who got it, dying (one doctor in FL, and a # of patients in Norway).
What religion has objections to vaccines? I'm not aware of any that do.
Jehovas' witnesses.. Though some sites seem to list them as having overturned that policy, either in the 60s or 80s.. One says even in the 50s.. So its up i the air. Others, say islam opposes vaccines based on pork, while some say they don't. Christain scientists, siencology.. IIRC there's a few others. I've also heard of both Amish and Menonites who do oppose them. NOW THAT's not saying there's a BROAD over-arching, anti-vax methodology in religion... BUT there's some that don't do vaccines.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Minor, temporarily side effects. And there's no reason to think waiting will change that. Human biology is quite messy; there will never be a vaccine or cure for anything that works 100% of the time with no problems. People have allergies or their body chemistry reacts in an unexpected way sometimes.

The odds of the vaccine hurting or killing you is tremendously low. Far, far lower than the odds of COVID-19 killing you. Refusing to take it on that basis is the equivalent of refusing to ever take a shower, because of the infinitesimal odds that you might slip on some soap and die.

As far as I know, Muslims don't oppose vaccinations, and some even consider them obligatory. Scientologists have a lot of wacky beliefs, but anti-vaccination isn't one of them. I've heard of the Jehovah's Witness one, but as you said, they reversed that doctrine back in the '50's (although they still oppose blood transfusions, I believe).

As for Amish/Mennonites, I can't say for sure. But as your original question was, would I invite someone who wasn't vaccinated to my table, it seems a moot point. It strikes me as exceedingly unlikely that an Amish person would ever want to play D&D with me. Or anyone else, for that matter. So I doubt it will ever come up.

The truth is, the vaccines are safe. Want to know how you can be sure? Because the rich and powerful are jumping to get them. If there was any doubt as to their safety, they would be taking a 'wait and see' approach, watching to see how they would affect the plebs first. After all, they can just hold up in their mansions/yachts/private islands indefinitely, so there's no reason for them to rush if there were any doubts at all.
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

Lukafio wrote:Image
In the "Strange But True" file, I found out that the guy in the picture above is the brother of a friend of mine.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

Stik wrote:In the "Strange But True" file, I found out that the guy in the picture above is the brother of a friend of mine.
You're friends with Will Smith's brother? :lol:

All kidding aside, that is cool Stik.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Four months later, and now I've had both shots and am totally vaccinated (or 'vaxxed to the max' as I like to say). Unfortunately, my work hours have quadrupled, and I don't actually have time to try putting together an in-person D&D group now. :(
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

JadedDM wrote:Four months later, and now I've had both shots and am totally vaccinated (or 'vaxxed to the max' as I like to say). Unfortunately, my work hours have quadrupled, and I don't actually have time to try putting together an in-person D&D group now. :(
keep your hopes up, that situation won't go for ever, the worst is over.
Every minute is a year of struggle
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.