Tst your vocabulary

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Tst your vocabulary

Post by New Hegdeh »

http://testyourvocab.com/result?user=14681873

I dont know how accurate this is, since English ain't my mother tongue the 27K estimate is a good one (average person has between 30K and 40 K according to them) but you may wonder what would the estimate for you be. Yet again, I don't know how accurate it is.
Every minute is a year of struggle
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Re: Tst your vocabulary

Post by JadedDM »

English is my native language, and the only one I know, and I only scored 500 better than you did. :lol:
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

Copied this from their site.

Even though I was born in America, English is my second language. I think the only reason I scored 31,100 is because of my age. They have found that the average vocabulary has been shrinking with each progressive generation.

Thanks for sharing that New Hegdeh. :up:
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

I was in quora discussing Sapir Whorf with a dude that claimed that some "philosopher" thought humans work with 500 000 concepts... I challenged it because I thought vocabulary was much wider for people worldwide... he gave this link... I am not sure if it works because one answers a few wordsand it extrapolates the others, many words which I knew I recognized from their similiarity to Spanish words or their use in AD&D. AD&D does marvels for one's language. Despite using "necromancy" for non-divinatory magic.

Oh, the guy who I was discussing with was the one that spoke of 30-40 K... Didn't see the site had other numbers
Lyrwik
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: AD&D 2nd Ed

Post by Lyrwik »

I got 33,700.
New Hegdeh wrote:many words which I knew I recognized from their similiarity to Spanish words
Yeah, I also found that a lot of the harder words were very similar to Spanish words. I can speak Spanish (although not at your level of proficiency in English), and as such, many of those words I could work out from my knowledge of Spanish... but I'd not actually heard them as English words, so I didn't count them. Maybe I should have.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

Lyrwik wrote:I got 33,700.
New Hegdeh wrote:many words which I knew I recognized from their similiarity to Spanish words
Yeah, I also found that a lot of the harder words were very similar to Spanish words. I can speak Spanish (although not at your level of proficiency in English), and as such, many of those words I could work out from my knowledge of Spanish... but I'd not actually heard them as English words, so I didn't count them. Maybe I should have.
Hmn ... you both have a valid point. I like that rather than being old. LOL
Of course it could be both.
New Hegdeh wrote: I recognized from their ... use in AD&D. AD&D does marvels for one's language.
Just one more way the game helps people with life skills.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

I saw a few which I recognized but wasn't sure I knew what they meant so I didn't mark them, many looked like jargon.
Lukafio wrote:
Hmn ... you both have a valid point. I like that rather than being old. LOL
Are you old in spirit? Age is in the mind :mage On the other hand, venerable, wyrms and great wyrms are the strongest dragons.
Lukafio wrote:Of course it could be both.
New Hegdeh wrote: I recognized from their ... use in AD&D. AD&D does marvels for one's language.
Just one more way the game helps people with life skills.
It also prepares people against bigotry. :knight: :elf: :orc:
Lyrwik
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: AD&D 2nd Ed

Post by Lyrwik »

Lukafio wrote: Just one more way the game helps people with life skills.
For me, I'm quite good with statistics and probability. I attribute that at least in part to playing D&D and Warhammer.

I also have a stronger grasp of the Imperial system than is necessary (being in a metric system country) due to having to work out movement speeds, weapon ranges, etc. However, that's really only useful when playing D&D, or when talking to someone 60+ who went to school when we still used Imperial.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Oh imperial, I understand it thanks to AD&D but do not like it really, it always got in my nerves when Archer or anyone else in Enterprise would give the date with the month first and the year last... Either do like the Japanese and start with the year, or do like everyone else and start with the day, but dont stick months into the sides when days are smaller and years are larger.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

I prefer metric myself, but sadly live in one of only three countries in the world that still uses imperial. ( U.S., Liberia and Myanmar)

After a lifetime of using YYYYMMDD:HHMM it is still odd to do MM/YY or MM/DD/YYYY.
New Hegdeh wrote:Are you old in spirit? Age is in the mind :mage On the other hand, venerable, wyrms and great wyrms are the strongest dragons.
Chronologically and physically old, but in good company if with those wyrms. Mentally I'm a juvenile delinquent.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

You lived in Japan? That's a cool country.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

I agree and wish I had spent time there, ... so does my son. LOL
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Oh ok, but yeah, there's a reason its known as "cool Japan".