Orphan Trek

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Orphan Trek

Post by New Hegdeh »

Needing to kill time I started rewatching Star Trek: Enterprise, already familiar with it I chose to start right at the middle... Recently I've watched "North Star" an episode where an accidental human colony in the expanse is discovered by Archer and crew. Due to their mission they cannot reconnect that lost colony with the rest of humanity, but to me that makes it an orphan story... Another orphan story I can think of comes from TNG's Moriarty where we never see him released into the open... In a way Voyager has its own orphan stories since the whereabouts of Neelix and The Doctor are unknown... With so many new Star Trek series I believe there is a chance that one of them (hopely not "lower decks") gets revisited, depending what is more appropriate, Strange New Worlds can revisit North Star and Moriarty, Neelix and The Doctor may be revisited in Star Trek Picard. But... How does one make this possible? How does one nudge the writers' creative juices in those directions? Any ideas? I want orphan trek to get what they need.
Every minute is a year of struggle
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Re: Orphan Trek

Post by JadedDM »

I've been rewatching Enterprise myself lately, and I remember North Star; that was the wild west planet, right? The guy who wrote that episode later said that in his mind, the planet wound up becoming a 'wild west' theme pleasure planet. But yeah, Strange New Worlds might visit it. Anything is possible. There's also Terra Nova, the lost human colony that thought (mistakenly) that Earth attacked them.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Yep, North Star was the wild west planet... I hope these old stories from the newer trek series got revisited... But that means getting some letters to the showrunners and I have no clue where exactly should those letters go... Terra Nova appeared in the 6th episode of the 1st season, thus it was part of the episodes I didn't rewatch. as I chose to calculate which episodes where equidistant in number to the first and last episodes of each series, and start there... I begun at somewhere around the episode First Flight.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

Has anyone read Star Trek: New Frontier series? The stories are centered upon Captain M'k'n'zy Calhoun and his crew aboard the USS Excalibur. Many of the characters are already know to TNG fans. To me that is an orphan trek in itself. Pity it was never turn into a TV show or movie. It had the potential to be a great spin-off.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

I know about the novels from memory beta but they do not seem to be canon due to conflicts between them and the series, however I do suppose they can be series-worthy... Which known characters appear on it?

Now, a slight detour, reading tv tropes' "ultraterrestial" I went to see voyager's "distant origin" but got sidetracked into watching "The 37s" before getting to see "distant origin", now I wish we could see more of both, the 37s and the voth. I wish I were the scriptwriter for my own Star Trek series, I would make it about a ship like the voyager, stranded far away, but one that chose to stay at a human colony founded by abductees, and who chose to start that colony's own space program, not to boldy go to new places for exploration sake but to find other lost human colonies and rebuild their network... Full with their own Pathfinder Project and eventually a way back to earth for the few that didn't want to stay but had to because the majority were staying.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

New Hegdeh wrote:I know about the novels from memory beta but they do not seem to be canon due to conflicts between them and the series, however I do suppose they can be series-worthy... Which known characters appear on it?
When you stop to consider when they were written and what was occurring in cannon lore, yes it could have been a perfect marriage. The onscreen stories took a different direction so looking back now it seems like an alternate timeline. Yes, Memory Beta does have a fair amount of information, but the books are so much better. I enjoyed reading the series and revisiting some characters that were familiar and seeing them grow. I 'bolded' the seven that had 'screen time'.
  • 1 Captain M'k'n'zy Calhoun - is the only non-TV Star Trek character to be the subject of an action figure. He is the second person to beat the Kobayashi Maru test; James T Kirk was the first..
    2 Lt. Commander Elizabeth Shelby - first officer, initially appeared in the TNG episodes "The Best of Both Worlds Parts 1 and 2".
    3 Lt. Commander Burgoyne 172 - chief engineer, a member of the Hermat species
    4 Dr. T'Para Lotos Selar - CMO, first appeared in the TNG episode "The Schizoid Man"
    5 Lt Robin Lefler - OPS, first appeared in the TNG episodes "Darmok"
    6 Lt Zak Kebron - security officer, a member of the Brikar species that first appeared in the Starfleet Academy novels as Worf's roommate
    7 Lt Mark McHenry - Helm, first appeared in the Starfleet Academy novels; is the great-grandaon of Lt Carolyn Palamas and the Greek god Apollo (STO "Who Mourns for Adonais?")
    8 Lt Soleta - science officer, a Vulcan/Romulan hybrid that first appeared in the Starfleet Academy novels
    9 Ambassador Si Cwan - a prince that was once a ruler of the Thallonian Empire,
    10 Admiral Edward Jellico - originally appeared in the TNG episodes "Chain of Command Parts 1 and 2"
    11 Ensign Janos - was a genetically-altered Mugato from the planet Neural (STO "A Private Little War")
    12 Lt. Commander Kat Mueller - XO (second officer and night-shift commander)
    13 LT Arex Na Eth - Navigator, a member of the Triexian species; first appeared in the TAS episode "Beyond the Farthest Star"
    14 LT Shiboline M'Ress - Communications, a member of the Caitian species; first appeared in the TAS episode "Beyond the Farthest Star"
    15 Kallinda Cwan - a princess and younger sister of Si Cwan
    16 Moke - adopted son of Captains Calhoun and Shelby
    17 Xyon - is the debt-son of M'k'n'zy and Catrine of Calhoun.
    18 Dr. Xy - the offspring of Burgoyne 172 and Dr. Selar, was named after Xyon
    19 Morgan Primus - the mother of LT Lefler was a Human who through a quirk of nature, was born an immortal, with the ability to heal many types of wounds. Rumored to also be Una, Leigh Hudec, and Number One (under Captain Christopher Pike).
    20 LT Romeo Takahashi - gamma shift operations officer
    21 LT Tania Tobias - first appeared in the Starfleet Academy novels
    22 LT Mick Gold - gamma shift helm officer
New Hegdeh wrote:Now, a slight detour, reading tv tropes' "ultraterrestial" I went to see voyager's "distant origin" but got sidetracked into watching "The 37s" before getting to see "distant origin", now I wish we could see more of both, the 37s and the voth. I wish I were the scriptwriter for my own Star Trek series, I would make it about a ship like the voyager, stranded far away, but one that chose to stay at a human colony founded by abductees, and who chose to start that colony's own space program, not to boldy go to new places for exploration sake but to find other lost human colonies and rebuild their network... Full with their own Pathfinder Project and eventually a way back to earth for the few that didn't want to stay but had to because the majority were staying.
Have you ever explored the Star Trek: New Earth series? The novels occur during the second five-year mission before TMP. It was intended to be the springboard for a flagship new book line called Star Trek: Challenger. Here is a listing of the books.
  • New Earth
    Star Trek: New Earth: Wagon Train to the Stars by Diane Carey ISBN 0-671-04296-3
    Star Trek: New Earth: Belle Terre by Dean Wesley Smith with Diane Carey ISBN 0-671-04297-1
    Star Trek: New Earth: Rough Trails by L.A. Graf ISBN 0-671-03600-9
    Star Trek: New Earth: The Flaming Arrow by Kathy Oltion and Jerry Oltion ISBN 0-671-78562-1
    Star Trek: New Earth: Thin Air by Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Dean Wesley Smith ISBN 0-671-78577-X
    Star Trek: New Earth: Challenger by Diane Carey ISBN 0-671-04298-X

Challenger
    Gateways #2: Chainmail by Diane Carey ISBN 0-7434-1855-7
    Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond (anthology) by Diane Carey, Peter David, Keith R.A. DeCandido, Christie Golden, Robert Greenberger, and Susan Wright ISBN 0-7434-5683-1
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Thanks, but at the moment I am just checking tv series and films (longer answer in PM).