Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post by JadedDM »

garhkal wrote:Well, my 2nd fave show ended, the CW's "The 100", and man was that ending, buggered up..
Haha, yeah, this was pretty much my reaction to how it ended:

youtu.be/7Voa01r3UOE
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

What is the 100 about?
Every minute is a year of struggle
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

JadedDM wrote:
garhkal wrote:Well, my 2nd fave show ended, the CW's "The 100", and man was that ending, buggered up..
Haha, yeah, this was pretty much my reaction to how it ended:

youtu.be/7Voa01r3UOE
LOL.. That was my thought too. I loved how Clarke challenged these 'beings', about 'WHO ARE YOU TO judge another race, as to whether they deserve to live etc"...
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

New Hegdeh wrote:What is the 100 about?
In the future, mankind is all but destroyed in mass nuclear war. The only survivors were the people who were living in orbit, in various space stations, at the time. When those space stations start to fail a century later, the survivors have no choice but to send down 100 (hence the title) people to see if they can survive on the now post-apocalyptic Earth.

That was the original premise of the first few seasons, anyway. Towards the end, things went a bit off the rails with intergalactic portals, time dilation, aliens and what have you. Although that actually made me like it better, to be honest.

In a nutshell, it's a teen drama but with way more death (enough deaths to rival if not surpass Game of Thrones) and sci-fi elements. Overall, I liked the show. But it has its flaws. It tosses around the 'idiot ball' quite a bit, especially in the earlier seasons. Character development can be a little wonky. Sometimes it feels like you're watching a D&D game where the players keep quitting, so their characters are handed over to new players, who play those characters completely different. (One guy, I swear, has a different personalty every season.)
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

I think I watched the first episode and thought "teen wangst, not my pangst", but you make it look interesting, maybe I gonna give it another go.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

To be fair, there is teen wangst involved. Especially in the early seasons, when they are still teens.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

JadedDM wrote:
New Hegdeh wrote:What is the 100 about?
In the future, mankind is all but destroyed in mass nuclear war. The only survivors were the people who were living in orbit, in various space stations, at the time. When those space stations start to fail a century later, the survivors have no choice but to send down 100 (hence the title) people to see if they can survive on the now post-apocalyptic Earth.

That was the original premise of the first few seasons, anyway. Towards the end, things went a bit off the rails with intergalactic portals, time dilation, aliens and what have you. Although that actually made me like it better, to be honest.

In a nutshell, it's a teen drama but with way more death (enough deaths to rival if not surpass Game of Thrones) and sci-fi elements. Overall, I liked the show. But it has its flaws. It tosses around the 'idiot ball' quite a bit, especially in the earlier seasons. Character development can be a little wonky. Sometimes it feels like you're watching a D&D game where the players keep quitting, so their characters are handed over to new players, who play those characters completely different. (One guy, I swear, has a different personalty every season.)
Season 1 dealt mostly with the '100', starting to come to terms with earth is livable, humans still are there (the grounders), and fight to survive. IMO the first season set a good stage for the rest of the show. Gave us our first look at 5 of our main characters. Bellamy, Clarke, Raven, Octavia and Montey.
It imo also had the MOST 'teen angst' out of the seasons.

Season 2, adds in a good deal of culture for the grounder tribes, and introduces us to the 'mountain men', and a brewing war between the 3 factions (Sky people, mountain men and grounders). Had some brewing romances, such as Lincoln and Octavia, Jasper and that chick from the mountain (forget her name), Clarke and Lexa.

Season 3, dealt with the mad AI, who unleashed the nuclear war on the planet (ALIE), and a brewing cult around what she called the 'city of light'. I hated the whole for the most part.

Season 4, dealt with having to prepare for a 2nd "Prime fire" wave of heat and radiation, due to a dozen or so LARGE ASS neuclear power plants, all going critical (right after ALIE was defeated), and the hunt for a bunker for some to survive in. Eventually it was found, but couldn't hold everyone.. So they had a hunger-games like fight off, to see who'd gain ownership of it...
This season was one of the top 3 for me.

Season 5, dealt with Clarke, the lead female, surviving on the ground, after taking the medical treatment to become a "Night-blood), her finding a fellow survivor (Maddie), seven survivors who went back up to the arc, and those who were stuck in the bunker, going to 'canibalism to survive', and a ship of prisoners (The Eligius IV) which came back, to find the planet wasted. A patch of ground, dubbed eden survived the prime-fire wave, and they fought over who'd get it.. Near the end, they left on the ship, to find a new planet (everyone stuck in crio pods), except for 2 folks. Montey, and his lover, Harper, who had a kid, Jordan. The last ep shows them hovering over a new planet. IMO the best of them all.. In fact, had they ended the show like that, i would have been VERY HAPPY.

Season 6, imo is where it started going off the rails.. It dealt with the finding of the new planet, Sanctum, learning of other nightbloods there, who had their own mind drives, which allowed certain folk, to essentially live forever (take over someone elses body wipe their mind, then put in the mind chip and presto, new body!), called the "primes", showed a new war between the groups as Clarke got taken over by Josphene (the daughter of Russel prime), but eventually beating her. And introduced the 'anomoly and the egg' (the two devices mentioned by Jaded)..

Season 7, expanded on the anomoly, showing us it was a wormhole between worlds; five total initially, Sanctum, Bardo, Skyring (also called penance), Etheria and nakaria). Due to some of the planets lying near a black hole, time dilation impacts travel between certain worlds.. Such as going from Skyring to Bardo, one hour on bardo can equate to 10 years on penance. You have to wear a special helmet or lose your memories also.
It also brought in the "You must Transcend, or die" test of these ancient alien beings, who some think, made those egg stone thinggies..
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

So its started corny only to turn insane, sounds interesting
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

For me, i'd rate it.
Season 5
Season 2
Season 1
Season 4
Season 6
Season 3
Season 7, in order of best to worst.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Tomorrow there is another episode of Supernatural and, supposedly, Star Trek: Discovery returns, the day after tomorrow we are to expect Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train, it will pass some time before I give it time.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

New Hegdeh wrote:Tomorrow...Star Trek: Discovery returns...
I just caught the season premier a little while ago. What did you think?
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

I didn't see the trailer... But I enjoyed the first episode of this new season. They have boldly gone where no star trek has gone before.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

I enjoyed their version of Pike and the Enterprise, but that is all I saw of it. I'm not sure when, but Pike will be the focus of a confirmed new Star Trek series. That almost has me willing to pay for CBS access.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Lukafio wrote:I enjoyed their version of Pike and the Enterprise, but that is all I saw of it. I'm not sure when, but Pike will be the focus of a confirmed new Star Trek series. That almost has me willing to pay for CBS access.
Yes, it's going to be called "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds." But knowing what I know about Pike...it's going to have a hell of a downer ending, I guess.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

There's also gonna be one concentrated on section 31... I hope they are much better than the crap called "Lower decks".