Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post by New Hegdeh »

there's the boys (series) and there's new mutants (movie)

I hope they resolve everything by the end of season 2 or before season 2 ends... I also hope that despite that they do a third season and a fourth and a fifth...
Every minute is a year of struggle
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

I read yesterday that The Boys has already been renewed for a third season. The announcement was made before the second season was even released.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

That's good news.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Today Supernatural returns, in a week we gonna get Star Trek: Discovery, yay!
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

I couldn't stand the Boys Season 1. Didn't even bother with Season 2. I get that they couldn't do all the edgy stuff that Ennis had in the book, but at least try to follow the plot a little.

I saw they had what seemed to be a fair take on Love Sausage, outline and all, only to learn it was a tentacle dick joke (which almost looked like a stand in for Hughie's aunts monster tapeworm from the comic?). Guess no international curbstomping of Stormfront.

They've written out so many of the greatest parts of the book so far, IMO. This is less the Boys TV series, and more Original Content using names from the Boys. I swear they've set up three quarters of the Seven for redemption arcs. Nah, that's silly. A-Train was irredeemable, never had any remorse for splatting Annie, and he lost his head in the end over it once Hughie was exposed to that truth by Butcher. Now Hughie saves him despite knowing that callous disregard for the love of his life? The Deep was a corporate lacky who literally did nothing but exist for the sake of diversity, and so on.

The big issue I have is...they skipped the bit where the Boys were a legitimate government body meant to keep the Supes in check, which Butcher used to his own ends to attain vengeance against Homelander for the death of his wife, and went straight to Butcher trying to find out how to kill all the Supes.

We got a violent Thug who doesn't play worth a damn, instead of the smart and manipulative brit who played the long game in getting his revenge, who simply didn't want to just kill those whom wronged them, but dismantle the entire structure that supported them in the first place.

Simply killing Homelander doesn't fix anything. Vought continues to exist, and continues to create more Supes. Butcher put into motion events that completely removed Voughts presence in weaponizing Superheroes, and Hughie's warning to Stilwell, that the Boys still exist, and that they were still watching for people like Vought, no matter how they rebranded, to try and pull what they did and stop them.

For all it's edginess and over the top sexuality and violence, the comic had a good story backing it, and it had many many great moments in it despite the repugnant excess. I don't feel there's such a story in the series however.
The Kobold gonna kobold.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

2nd season is over, I loved it, but I am not comparing it with the source material, I haven't seen the source material but, couldn't it be that they are playing the long game to make the tv series align with the comics?
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

New Hegdeh wrote:2nd season is over, I loved it, but I am not comparing it with the source material, I haven't seen the source material but, couldn't it be that they are playing the long game to make the tv series align with the comics?
Zero chance. Too many characters and events are different in varying degrees.

We won't see classics like Hughie punching a hole in Blarney Cock by accident (then saving the hamster he had hidden up his butt), Butcher slowly killing Jack from Jupiter (the carbonskin man was his stand in), the international beat down of Stormfront, or Stilwell showing zero fear to a blood soaked Homelander.

Billy Butcher is such a wasted character in the show. He was such a coldly calculating monster in the comic. He just comes across as an angry thug in the show though.

Hey, if you enjoy it, more power to you. It ain't for me, it just doesn't feel like the Boys.
The Kobold gonna kobold.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

maybe when its over and I have forgotten it I will check the comics to see them with "virgin" eyes... What do you refer to when you say "international beat down"?
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

A Brit, a Frenchie, an American, and a Russian teaming up and beating a literal Nazi to death. While the Scot pukes in the background.

The books are excessive in it's gore, sexuality, and degeneracy, I was hoping the live action adaptation would've been a more....toned down take on the story. Oh well.
The Kobold gonna kobold.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Well, in the live action the literal nazi was beated down by a bisexual warrior, a former christian fundie and a Japanese mute. And then she died when they made her charcoal with laser eyes. Maybe the show is being unfair to the source material, but it aint that bad, maybe its much lesser in quality, but the original has so much quality that a diminished version still is great.
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

Spoiler warnings, people, please!
I'm about two weeks behind on The Boys. :)
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Sorry. But consider it a free trailer!
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

Luckily, I recognized a spoiler was coming from the way the sentence was written, and bailed out just in time (I think). :)
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Hurry, watch what you are missing, the longer time passes more spoilers will go your way and you can't run from them every time, if you are two weeks behind it means you only need 2 hours of tv or so in order to finish
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Well, my 2nd fave show ended, the CW's "The 100", and man was that ending, buggered up..