Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post by New Hegdeh »

Which of these current on air do you know of and watch? I think with the exception of doom patrol, agents of shield and stargirl, most are between seasons and I was expecting to watch The Boys today but whatever source told me it was gonna air the 26th of July was bogus and it does not air until the 4rth of September... The umbrella academy will air soon and I stopped watching swamp thing when it was cancelled, but I don't know where to retake the swamp thing so I want to listen if there are other shows to watch, I couldn't bear warehouse 13 and 'though I like torchwood I didn't bear it either...
Every minute is a year of struggle
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post by JadedDM »

I'm watching Agents of SHIELD and Supergirl currently, on Netflix. I'm also rewatching Agent Carter on Disney+.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

I stopped watching supergirl a few seasons back, I haven't given Agent Carter a chance, how much sci fi elements are there in it? I mean the title character herself has no superhuman powers, does't she?
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

I enjoyed Agent Carter, but then again look at the time period it is set in. I was watching most of the DC shows on the WB, but became board with them. I went back to DS9 & Firefly. Considering dusting off BSG & B5.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

I am afraid Agent Carter may be too nationalistic, shades of that appear in agents of shield now and then but the show makes up for that with all the cool storylines involving powers mightier than those of humans, I finished watching deep space nine earlier this year... What's B5? I may need to check battlestar galactica and firefly even if its reruns.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Carter herself has no powers, no. She's simply human. Mostly it's a spy thriller and a period piece.

I believe B5 is Babylon 5.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

For realism I prefer police procedurals, like criminal minds, she doesn't have any superpowered enemies?

Babylon 5, I've heard great things about it, maybe I should give it a go, at the moment I am watching drifters, also, I've got to get back to grimgar soon...

I could dig for manimal or secret of isis if I am to dig for old shows 'though.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Mostly Carter fights secret spy organizations, like Leviathan or the Secret Empire, all while having to deal with real world issues of the time, like misogyny. I do remember at least one villain who develops super powers in the second season; but it's been a long time, so I might have forgotten others. Overall, though, the show is much more grounded than SHIELD is...no time travel, alternate dimensions, or alien invasions (or at least, not to my recollection; I might have forgotten. I'm only like 3 episodes in at the moment).

I'm actually rewatching Babylon 5, as well, coincidentally enough. Up to season 4. It's pretty good.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Mmm... If all else fails I will give it a go, but I am more inclined to watch Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica, and maybe secret of Isis and manimal.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

New Hegdeh wrote:I am afraid Agent Carter may be too nationalistic, shades of that appear in agents of shield now and then but the show makes up for that with all the cool storylines involving powers mightier than those of humans, I finished watching deep space nine earlier this year... What's B5? I may need to check battlestar galactica and firefly even if its reruns.
    • Yup what Jades said about Agent Carter. Plus do recall the origins of both. Agent Carter comes from WWII CPT America, and Shield itself comes from Agent Carter. So the American-centric themes are expected. That is why I also enjoy non-American heroes, to keep my global perspective.

You are gunna die to see season two of Firefly :!:
JadedDM wrote:Carter herself has no powers, no. She's simply human. Mostly it's a spy thriller and a period piece.

I believe B5 is Babylon 5.
    • The mind is the ultimate superpower.
      Yup B5 :up:
New Hegdeh wrote:For realism I prefer police procedurals, like criminal minds, she doesn't have any superpowered enemies?

Babylon 5, I've heard great things about it, maybe I should give it a go, at the moment I am watching drifters, also, I've got to get back to grimgar soon...

I could dig for manimal or secret of isis if I am to dig for old shows 'though.
    • Oh wow, old school Isis from the 1970's. Might have to watch Wonder Woman too then. (Did you know Lynda Carter turned 69 today 8O)
Have you seen Sliders?
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Lukafio wrote:
New Hegdeh wrote: Yup what Jades said about Agent Carter. Plus do recall the origins of both. Agent Carter comes from WWII CPT America, and Shield itself comes from Agent Carter. So the American-centric themes are expected. That is why I also enjoy non-American heroes, to keep my global perspective.

You are gunna die to see season two of Firefly :!:
Is Firefly nationalistic? I thought it was set in space... But TOS has nationalism and is set in space so...
Lukafio wrote:
    • The mind is the ultimate superpower.
      Yup B5 :up:

• Oh wow, old school Isis from the 1970's. Might have to watch Wonder Woman too then. (Did you know Lynda Carter turned 69 today 8O)
Have you seen Sliders?
[/quote][/quote]

I loved sliders and quantum leap! I liked Wonder Woman but I prefered Isis, I know Isis crosses over with Shazam, the show about Captain Marvel...

As for Lynda Carter, she was hot, but I watched her in the arrowverse and guessed she had to be in her 60s. Everything ends.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

Firefly is not nationalistic. I was trying to make a joke and failed.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

I fumble at charisma checks when joking, so I get it... anyway, couldn't find manimal or isis on the sites I know of, a man in black asked what I wanted to do with isis... got the wrong isis.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Lukafio wrote:(Did you know Lynda Carter turned 69 today 8O)
Nice.

She played the president on Supergirl a couple of years back. I think she's still got it.
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

The first season of The Boys was amazing. I can hardly wait for the second season.

The Amazon series of The Tick was very good, too. It really captured the feel of the original comics.
"No matter where you go, there you are."