Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post by JadedDM »

I rather liked Lower Decks, myself.

In addition to that, the Section 31 show, Picard, Discovery, and Strange New Worlds, there will also be a kid's show on Nickelodeon called "Star Trek Prodigy." Evidently Janeway is returning for that one.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

JadedDM wrote:
Lukafio wrote:I enjoyed their version of Pike and the Enterprise, but that is all I saw of it. I'm not sure when, but Pike will be the focus of a confirmed new Star Trek series. That almost has me willing to pay for CBS access.
Yes, it's going to be called "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds." But knowing what I know about Pike...it's going to have a hell of a downer ending, I guess.
Yeah I get your point, but that never stopped me from watching Titanic and cheering for the iceberg. :lol:
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Lukafio wrote:
JadedDM wrote:
Lukafio wrote:I enjoyed their version of Pike and the Enterprise, but that is all I saw of it. I'm not sure when, but Pike will be the focus of a confirmed new Star Trek series. That almost has me willing to pay for CBS access.
Yes, it's going to be called "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds." But knowing what I know about Pike...it's going to have a hell of a downer ending, I guess.
Yeah I get your point, but that never stopped me from watching Titanic and cheering for the iceberg. :lol:
That's cold...

pun intended.
JadedDM wrote:I rather liked Lower Decks, myself.
Sorry for dissing on a show you like but I cannot stand the cynicism of the show and the art style, probably it is the art style what I loathe more.
JadedDM wrote:In addition to that, the Section 31 show, Picard, Discovery, and Strange New Worlds, there will also be a kid's show on Nickelodeon called "Star Trek Prodigy." Evidently Janeway is returning for that one.
I think I could watch STP.
Every minute is a year of struggle
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

I've not gotten into ANY OF THE streaming services, Especially disney...
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

New Hegdeh wrote:Sorry for dissing on a show you like but I cannot stand the cynicism of the show and the art style, probably it is the art style what I loathe more.
The art style is very similar to Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites, but I suspect that's because one of the co-creators of those shows made it.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

and similair ti thundercats roar and to the new TMNT, and everything these days... it just sucks...
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

I don't know what the new TMNT looks like, but I have to disagree about Thundercats Roar. I don't think it looks anything like Rick and Morty or Lower Decks. I always thought it looked a lot more like Adventure Time, if anything.

Then again, I also think some of the animation on Lower Decks, especially the space stuff, looks pretty good.

New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

to be fair I only watched the first episode... couldn't stand it to care... adventure time is similar to roar and the new tnmt and well, these new cartoons are all similiar and on purpose drawn like shit... obviously, whenever sentient anthropomorphs do not appear, they make an exception
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

I not a fan of CBS All Access (but hey it's their business) so I don't subscribe. I thought STLD was just an attempt to grab $$$ in a cheap way, same with STD (DISCO). I do have to admit that I have been pleasantly surprised at some of the stories and plot-lines that have come out of both. Yes I am an old school Trekkie, but they have been giving a nod to the old stories, including TAS, and moving forward in their own fashion. They are not perfect and I am still not signing up for the CBS service, but they are trying and that I will grant them ... sometimes.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Discovery is now in netflix, it comes out every Friday, maybe cbs all access gets it on thursdays.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Specifically, Netflix International. The US version doesn't get it.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

... and I don't subscribe to any streaming services by personal choice, but thanks for sharing.
JadedDM wrote:Specifically, Netflix International. The US version doesn't get it.
Could set up a VPN to get non-US shows.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Lukafio wrote:... and I don't subscribe to any streaming services by personal choice, but thanks for sharing.
There are people who watch TV that isn't streamed??? :wink: :lol:

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a TV show that was broadcast. At least a decade, I think. Probably back whenever the US switched from analog airwaves to digital ones, rendering my old rabbit ears useless.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

JadedDM wrote:Specifically, Netflix International. The US version doesn't get it.
Look at the bright side, you get all 3 Back to the Future movies, we get either 1st and 3rd or just 2nd...

There's pirate sites too, but I didn't say that.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

JadedDM wrote:
Lukafio wrote:... and I don't subscribe to any streaming services by personal choice, but thanks for sharing.
There are people who watch TV that isn't streamed??? :wink: :lol:
I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a TV show that was broadcast. At least a decade, I think. Probably back whenever the US switched from analog airwaves to digital ones, rendering my old rabbit ears useless.
Ah but the new 'rabbit ears' are not too bad. But I don't watch TV either any more. I have as decent media collection that I view. From time to time, I will grab a Redbox DVD to see something new. Believe it or not, that is how I saw most of the Marvel movies.
New Hegdeh wrote:
Look at the bright side, you get all 3 Back to the Future movies, we get either 1st and 3rd or just 2nd...
There's pirate sites too, but I didn't say that.
I've heard of those places. Everyone has a parrot on a shoulder, a wooden peg leg, and every other word is 'Arrgh'. :rotf: