Gaming Kickstarters ... a light conversation

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Gaming Kickstarters ... a light conversation

Post by Lukafio »

• :bye: When it comes to kickstarters some people feel like this :pos: while others are more like this :charge and then you have others like this :funky: What are some of your experiences with the different gaming kickstarters out there? :greet:
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Gaming Kickstarters ... a light conversation

Post by New Hegdeh »

What's a gaming kickstarter? Is it a new kind of toy youngsters are playing with these days?
Every minute is a year of struggle
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

New Hegdeh wrote:What's a gaming kickstarter?
  • :arrow: It is a global crowdfunding platform focused on creative projects, such as films, music, stage shows, comics, journalism, games, technology, and publishing to name a few. People who back Kickstarter projects are offered tangible rewards or experiences in exchange for their pledges.
:idea: Gaming is just the type of kickstarter for the conversation.
There have been many RPG kickstarters as well as for traditional tabletop games.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Oh, I think I have heard of that, but as the total failure I am, I am too poor to pay for any of them so I just ignore them.
Every minute is a year of struggle
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

I've never funded one before, but I have benefited from their existence. I've played Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder Kingmaker, which were both made with Kickstarters.
Meph
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st & 2nd Edition

Post by Meph »

I have backed about 20 of them so far and been happy with every one so far. Most of my have been Kobold Press 5E stuff, Printable Scenery, EC3D, Fat Dragon Games, and other various 3d printing kickstarters.
Meph
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Meph »

Just for an idea of the value, this is the FDG one that is about to end. My $90 all-in pledge gets me EVERYTHING on the page except for the add-ons at the bottom.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fa ... =user_menu

On a smaller scale this one by Dark Forge Realms is only $13 and gets me everything here. The main models are from his patreon that I missed. $13 for them all is fantastic....as a bonus with the kickstarter there are a whole bunch of stretch goals added.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/de ... =user_menu
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Lukafio »

I asked because I'm looking into Dead Reckoning and wanted to gather people's thoughts.
Figured some folks here might have experiences they would be willing to share.
Meph
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Meph »

I would be VERY wary of that kickstarter. Look at the company. They have had 8 campaigns, the last one they started after the pandemic started. It reached it's funding goal but not what they hoped so they cancelled it. I don't know the details behind this one but read the comments. Lot of people have either dropped their funding level to $5 or cancelled it entirely. Kickstarter is an awesome platform to get funding for a project. The downfall is the developers. I would recommend reading their updates and the comments before backing it.