Internet around the world.

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Internet around the world.

Post by New Hegdeh »

I am experiencing internet trouble like I haven't experienced in several years... Any of you have the same problems? Here in Peru the internet service is overcrowded due to covid, I guess there it happens too...
Every minute is a year of struggle
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Re: Internet around the world.

Post by Lukafio »

My speeds have been slowing down too and I am in the sub-suburbs of the greater San Francisco metro area. My old dial-up seemed faster at times.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

I discovered that whatever the problem is, it involves the reach of the wi fi... I can't use the net as much as I want in my room, I need to be in the living room (or hall, damn, i hate living in a flat, I miss the house I had)... I've seen news of some antennae being destroyed by people that believe they are 5G antennae (they aren't, they are 4G or something else entirely) who believe its causes covid (it doesn't), but that is in other cities or in other districts of my city; Lima may not be broken into suburbs like San Francisco I think city planning is very different in the US than in Peru (there is almost no planning here) so I dont know how to explain so you can relate, but the region is well off... I think the problem is with providers needing to satisfy more costumers than ever.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

I'm in what city folk call the country. While it may have been country and ranches decades ago, it no longer is. People move out here and commute a hour or more to work in the city, then complain they don't have all the luxuries. So ... they build them and suburbia expands. I've lived in a variety of areas. In my grumpy old age I long for dial-up and flip phones. Give me the simple life.

I haven't been to Lima (been past it; 100 nautical miles), but I understand what you are relating about the layout. I've been to other places that are similar.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

I rejected all cellphones because none was a flip phone... Now I reluctantly have a smartphone.