Isekai, do you know them? Which are your favourite?

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Isekai, do you know them? Which are your favourite?

Post by New Hegdeh »

I want to explore the infamous isekai genre, anyone wants to recommend some of them?

So far I have seen and enjoyed:
The Rising of the Shield Hero
In Another World with My Smartphone
Knight's & Magic
Isekai Cheat Magician
Gate

I have tried and disliked Re-Zero (too dumb protagonist) as well as konosuba (that is the one about a dude that dies and gets a goddess as companion to the other world)

I've probably seen more isekais but I cannot remember their names and what I thought of them.

I saw (partially) and disliked:
Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious (too slow)
Outbreak company (the worst of Japanese media is the focus of the show as if it were the best)

And I am not interested in "Problem Children Are Coming from Another World, Aren't They?"...

Currently I am watching "Promised neverland" and I love it but I think it aint no isekai.
Every minute is a year of struggle
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Re: Isekai, do you know them? Which are your favourite?

Post by JadedDM »

Probably my favorite one is Log Horizon. I also rather enjoyed Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash because it felt like it had shades of D&D to it.

The former only had two seasons; a third was to be released this fall, but was pushed to next year because of COVID-19. The premise is a bunch of people log into their favorite MMORPG to try out the new expansion pack, and discover they are now in the game. What separates it from similar shows is that the characters start changing the physics of the world over time, and exploit game mechanics in unexpected ways. The show is much more about people learning to survive and adapt to this new world, with a heavy focus on social elements (like building a community). And the main character isn't a great warrior or powerful sorcerer, but a support class, which is an interesting change of pace.

The latter only had one season, and that was four years ago, so I assume it has been canceled. It was much darker in tone than Log Horizon, as death is permanent (you do not 'respawn') and things are much grittier. The premise is a bunch of people show up in this D&D-esque world with no memory of how they got there. They seem to have come from our world, because now and again they have flashes of memory of it. They are forced to become adventurers to survive, trying to scrape together enough coin from killing goblins just to pay for room and board. Each character has a different class with different abilities, with the main character being the Rogue.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Log Horizon sounds like Sword Art Online and Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash sounds like... Drifters... Which reminds me, I should watch Drifters, its well spoken of... But SWO disappointed me, but it disappointed me due to what the characters made out of the hero... Gonna check your recommendations if I find them.

1.EDIT: Found Log horizon, so i gonna watch it, now I am searching for Grimgar.

2.Edit: Found Hai to Gensou no Grimgar so, also gonna watch it... I think I will let the promised neverland for later.

3.Edit: So far I like the beginning of Grimgar, makes me think of the beginning of Goblin Slayer but with a much happier outcome.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

What the heck is isekia???
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

New Hegdeh, let me know how you like them.

Garhkal, it's a genre where a person (or group of people) are transported to another world (usually a high fantasy one) and must learn to adapt. Technically speaking, the old D&D cartoon from the 80's was an isekai, for instance.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

And many isekai are mixed with the harem genre because these transported people tend to have superior powers that garner them quite the fanbase (personally that's the worst part of the genre but I can tolerate it if the rest of the show is great)... I was enjoying Grimgar but I was also feeling way too tired so I chose to shut my eyes for a second, next I know, it was daylight and watching it in darkness was no longer possible... But god be damned, I need to watch it anyway, so I gonna watch it even if i have to watch it during the day... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isekai the travelers often tend to be gamers or hikikomori or other kind of otaku... Captain N: The Game Master and Kidd Video are also isekai in a sense but yeah, they do not go to high fantasy worlds (except some levels of Captain N).

(No need to use the "new", I used it because Half-Elven Gnomic Dwarf and HEGDEH were already in use but I didn't remember their passwords or other account info)

(I wasn't bored, my eyes were acheing)
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Ahh.. Then other than that old cartoon, i've never seen any..
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Check the ones I mentioned and the ones Jaded DM mentioned, The Rising of the Shield Hero and Gate are somewhat mature, although for mature anime Goblin slayer and Inuyashiki are better, but those are not isekai. (Inuyashiki is my favourite anime).
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

JadedDM wrote:Technically speaking, the old D&D cartoon from the 80's was an isekai, for instance.
I think I have the old boardgame from that show. :up:
garhkal wrote:Ahh.. Then other than that old cartoon, i've never seen any..
You're not alone. :read:
New Hegdeh wrote:Check the ones I mentioned and the ones Jaded DM mentioned, The Rising of the Shield Hero and Gate are somewhat mature, although for mature anime Goblin slayer and Inuyashiki are better, but those are not isekai. (Inuyashiki is my favourite anime).
Hmn ... maybe this weekend. :pop:
New Hegdeh wrote:(No need to use the "new", I used it because Half-Elven Gnomic Dwarf and HEGDEH were already in use but I didn't remember their passwords or other account info)
Don'cha hate it when that happens. LOL :pos:
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Lukafio wrote:
New Hegdeh wrote:(No need to use the "new", I used it because Half-Elven Gnomic Dwarf and HEGDEH were already in use but I didn't remember their passwords or other account info)
Don'cha hate it when that happens. LOL :pos:
I am too young to be getting old already I mean, today I am 36 years old, yesterday I was 22 years old... Who crammed 14 years in a single day? Yeah I hate forgetting account info and passwords, I understand they are a necessity but oh well, things happen that one has to get used to... Tomorrow I gonna probably be 60 years old or more. My memory is already slipping.
Lukafio wrote:
New Hegdeh wrote:Check the ones I mentioned and the ones Jaded DM mentioned, The Rising of the Shield Hero and Gate are somewhat mature, although for mature anime Goblin slayer and Inuyashiki are better, but those are not isekai. (Inuyashiki is my favourite anime).
Hmn ... maybe this weekend. :pop:

Just dont watch them with people you consider underage unless you have already seen them and approved them for kids, Goblin Slayer and Inuyashiki have rape, The Rising of the Shield Hero imply there is rape so there is implication of rape... Gate may be PG (Publico en General ---> General Public ---> Appropriate for all ages, even kids), Grimgar has some somewhat perverted scenes in the 2nd episode but dont let that stop you from enjoying the beautiful drawings and trying to get up with the theme (I find it a little slow but it does give me hope for what's coming).
Lukafio wrote:
garhkal wrote:Ahh.. Then other than that old cartoon, i've never seen any..
You're not alone. :read:

While I've watched technical isekais like Escaflowne and Magic Knight Rayearth and Alice in Wonderland... I didn't discover isekai as a genre until this year... So I was there like you... I had a brief stint going back to university, didn't left much impact on me, but one of the quirkiest people I met (probably too influenced by modern anime which tends to be quirky) laughed a lot when I told him I am interested in watching isekais... He introduced me to some of the isekais I didn't like, I guess there was a generational gap where 20 year old otakus like isekais I do not and I like isekais they do not even register... Hope you enjoy the ones I recommend (but I warn you some modern anime have odd characterization scenes where characters exagerate to grotesque caricaturesque proportions their observations or perspective on things, something you wouldn't see in classics like Saint Seiya, my favourite anime growing up, which we in latinamerica knew as Knighst of the Zodiac, or "caballeros del zodiaco", laughed at with the misnomer "caballeros del sobaco" more or less "Knights of the armpit". Back on track... Don't mind the scenes where they chew the scenery, take the good even from them because they can provide vital considerations, like in Boku No Hero the characters will sometimes reveal astounding outstanding strategic and tactical observations amidst their quirky outbursts about why they are heroes or villains and those asides make the challenge even more entertaining and obvious).
Lukafio wrote:
JadedDM wrote:Technically speaking, the old D&D cartoon from the 80's was an isekai, for instance.
I think I have the old boardgame from that show. :up:
The game had a boardgame? Or you mean 1st edition D&D equipment? If there was a boardgame of that cartoon I would love palying it one day, but I never liked the abuse of the the complainer is always wrong trope... Or that they never made the last episode... Or that Disney and Marvel studios own it but we wont see any of it in modern screens nor it matches the gameplay of the 2nd edition I played.

Also... I recommend the comics "Fables" (not the whole franchise, I have only seen Fables and the stories of Jack and I despised the stories of Jack)

Wow, I am talkative today... Better leave, over and out.

Postcript: In researching tv tropes content I stumbled upon the fact that there is an "Animated Series Handbook" I wonder if it allows playing things from the series in 2nd edition... Also...

I misunderstood one scene in the grimgar anime, the misunderstanding didn't last long but it allowed me to wonder...

Which class is the weakest? Let's assume the thief is... If you assumed the thief is the weakest class... Follow this link...
Last edited by New Hegdeh on Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

LOL ... someone is feeling chatty. :o

Thank you for the advance warning. No little ones in my household, so all is safe. :D

:orc: Yes they made a boardgame based on the cartoon. If you are familiar with the game Candyland, it plays similar to that. It was called Quest for the Dungeonmaster

If you were 22 yesterday, 36 today, and will be 60 tomorrow, then you will will exponentially be the oldest member here by the end of the week. My memory slips on occasion, I call it my sometimes syndrome. :wink:
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

yes... Well, I think I spent my eneergy creating a class proposal. And I was editting my post and you missed the edits I think... and yeah, soon I am gonna be the oldest member...
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

New Hegdeh wrote:Grimgar has some somewhat perverted scenes in the 2nd episode but dont let that stop you from enjoying the beautiful drawings and trying to get up with the theme (I find it a little slow but it does give me hope for what's coming).
Yeah, that was my one complaint of the show. It can go a little overboard in sexualizing the female characters. That's anime, for you, though. I'd be hard pressed to find one that didn't do this. And I've seen far worse in other anime.

It does start slow, but I kind of liked that about it. They struggle just to kill a goblin. It sort of reminded me of the early days of MMORPGs, when I'd play Ultima Online and a single orc could kick my ass easily, so I'd have to level up killing chickens and cows instead. :lol:
New Hegdeh wrote:I misunderstood one scene in the grimgar anime, the misunderstanding didn't last long but it allowed me to wonder...
Out of curiosity, what was the scene you misunderstood?
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

JadedDM wrote:
New Hegdeh wrote:Grimgar has some somewhat perverted scenes in the 2nd episode but dont let that stop you from enjoying the beautiful drawings and trying to get up with the theme (I find it a little slow but it does give me hope for what's coming).
Yeah, that was my one complaint of the show. It can go a little overboard in sexualizing the female characters. That's anime, for you, though. I'd be hard pressed to find one that didn't do this. And I've seen far worse in other anime.
I think its more prevalent in contemporary anime (or from the last 10 years), I don't see it in humanoid monster bem, saint seiya, escaflowne, magic knight rayearth, slayers, even inuyashiki doesn't do it, I don't see it in Psammead el duende mágico ("Five children and it" is the source of it)... Mmm... ok to some degree some of these anime do it, but not that bad... Attack on Titan doesn't do it, nor Boku no hero academia... Its pretty random which anime will do it and which wont.
JadedDM wrote:It does start slow, but I kind of liked that about it. They struggle just to kill a goblin. It sort of reminded me of the early days of MMORPGs, when I'd play Ultima Online and a single orc could kick my ass easily, so I'd have to level up killing chickens and cows instead. :lol:
At least an orc and not a goblin... I see that kobolds in Grimgar are almost werewolves... I was gonna give it a break until they decided going kobold hunting... but then my computer overheated and I had to stop anyway.
New Hegdeh wrote:I misunderstood one scene in the grimgar anime, the misunderstanding didn't last long but it allowed
JadedDM wrote:me to wonder...
Out of curiosity, what was the scene you misunderstood?
I think it were two scenes, one when where the thief's teacher tells him about becoming a thief and one much later that may or may not have hinted at his "spirit sight" or whatever that thing is, but I am not sure which is the scene I misunderstood... Gotta watch it again to remember and I am already like 9 episodes in, must have been in the first three episodes 'though. Or maybe when they were in the church with the cleric's teacher and the thief almost did something, only to not do anything at all. I cant remember well because it was a "blink it and you miss it" moment and I just got the idea in my head after that, forgetting the exact genesis. Maybe I thought the thief would discover he has.. I wont say it here I dont want to spoil it for others.
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

Finished Grimgar, it ended just as it was getting amazing, a little too soon.