Ranked by treasure

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Ranked by treasure

Post by New Hegdeh »

Has there ever been an attempt to rank official monsters from "those that give more treasure" to "those that give less treasure"? Or from "those that give more treasure per XP point gained for killing it" to "those that that give more treasure per XP point gained for killing it"? (The tarrasque for instance probably ranks high in the first list, but it takes so much to kill a tarrasque that it probably ranks last in the second list)

I am tempted to do exactly that with the monsters I downloaded from way back machine's content (its lomion archive) but I would also factor those from the standard monster manual... However I think that I don't need this ranking enough to do the effort considering I have to check monsters, check letters, check the XP they give for defeating them, check the range of wealth their treasure is worth and maybe check the range of wealth their corpses are worth... And I don't know if I should really do it, considering I am still rearranging the same encyclopedia into categories (undead on one side, steeds on others, dinos on other, outer planars on other arranged by alignment, etc.) and some entries seem incomplete...

What do ya think 'bout this endeavour?
Every minute is a year of struggle
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Re: Ranked by treasure

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

New Hegdeh wrote:Has there ever been an attempt to rank official monsters from "those that give more treasure" to "those that give less treasure"?
New Hegheh wrote: And I don't know if I should really do it, considering I am still rearranging the same encyclopedia into categories (undead on one side, steeds on others, dinos on other, outer planars on other arranged by alignment, etc.) and some entries seem incomplete...
If we're talking 1 or 2E I'm not aware of any such rankings. I personally always try to finish one project before moving on to another.
_Matt_
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

Yeah, I have never seen such a thing NH. Someday I guess.... someday.

RPGD ... lol, that's my biggest downfall :lol: I got so many things on the go, it seems like I never finish. :D
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by New Hegdeh »

RPG Dinosaur wrote:If we're talking 1 or 2E I'm not aware of any such rankings.

Cole wrote:Yeah, I have never seen such a thing NH. Someday I guess.... someday.
I am a 2nd edition guy but I think if any newer edition has such rankings they probably translate wel to the older editions
RPG Dinosaur wrote:I personally always try to finish one project before moving on to another.
Cole wrote:RPGD ... lol, that's my biggest downfall :lol: I got so many things on the go, it seems like I never finish. :D
I wish my feeble attempts at not multitasing succeded, but I am like Cole on this one, although Cole has projects he has finished in his history, even if he is giving planet a rehaul... Cole, you can consider it a finished project, so, hooray for ya! I am on the other hand all unfinished business. If I die today and myth were based on fact, I would return as a ghost.
Every minute is a year of struggle