New D&D Gaming Room For All! (play live)

Chat, Learn and Talk about PADnD's Live Gaming Room.

Moderator: Cole

Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: New D&D Gaming Room For All! (play live)

Post by Cole »

Meph wrote:Very cool. Is there a reason it's limited to 12 locations? Just on that map you showed alone the DM could possibly mark out 40 locations if he so desired. It looks to be coming along great though. Nice job.
Upped it to 20 locations ;) ....remember, you can do 20 per map, or 20 per level. :)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Next BIG feature folks!

I intially had it coded up the first day, ready to show everyone, but then my buddy came on and we started brainstorming. Seemed as DM's we both just wanted a bit more... then a bit more, then a bit more. We ended up with this after 4 days of me retooling the new "Strategic Map" and DM Editor. AKA the Battle Map system :)

If you look below as always, I have attached multiple screen shots. Player views on the left, DM view on the right (both are obviously on different PC's and/or devices). But for those of you not so tech savy, yeah these split screens I show are provided so you can see what "Players see" and what a DM's will see in their own homes, or on their own devices.

#1) The top screen shows the player screen on the left looking at the map with a FOG OF WAR covering the majority of it. While the DM see's the right side and has placed the fog and a few orcs here and there.

#2) The second screen down shows just the DM screen in full view. I wanted people to see that the DM can remove monsters, items, FoW etc all on the fly. They just either click the remove links under the map to dump whatever they like, OR click on the map anywhere they like to add any monster, item etc whatever they can dream up. Whatever a DM types in, will be displayed with a unique icon if I have one available otherwise it simply uses a default icon, but retains the DM's description.

#3) The last screen simply shows a player screen on the left and a DM on the right. The DM sees descriptive bubbles and #s to allow the DM to recognize which symbol he/she is dealing with (as to not delete the wrong one by accident). While the player screen shows the players the actual "orc" icons. If the players move their mouse over each icon, it will zoom in and display a larger picture of the item selected, it will also show them the DM's label. In this case they would simply say "orc" above their heads.

As this is magically done through the pain staking art of code. :wink:

The DM controls everything on the screen. The players can only instruct the DM of their actions and they can easily put it into action. The DM can also log in and pre-configure their map. Setting it all up and adding a solid black veil over the players entire screen until they are ready to unveil their creation. The DM can also add zone-like fog of war icons which cover whatever areas they like and are simply removed on the fly with a simple click.

We tried to make this as easy as possible for the DM in mind as the players cannot physically move their own icons. It's up to them to tell the DM "I move in from the east on the dragon" and the DM can simply move the icon for them for all to see within seconds.
Attachments
screen12.jpg
screen12.jpg (240.79 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
screen11.jpg
screen11.jpg (227.66 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
screen9.jpg
screen9.jpg (355.25 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
Meph
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st & 2nd Edition

Post by Meph »

Nice....you could have made my life much easier when I ran Wave Echo Cavern. I made ever room and hall into a numbered layer, printed a map and numbered them for behind my screen and then unclicked each "fog of war" layer as the players explored. It worked fine but it was a bit of prep work.

Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

wow what was the odds I used the same map in my example :lol:

Yeah, hopefully I made it as easy a possible. I'm a quick flow DM myself and I like things to work smoothly, so I code with that in mind. Somethings were just not possible, but I did end up making a frigging amazing DM tool for later though that I couldn't use in this gaming room. ;)

Either way, my buddy was happy with what we accomplished and it appears to be working 100% now. You can upload a map in seconds (if not under) ... plot down everything you like in a few minutes, black it out so players can't see anything or use a bunch of FoW's and your ready to rock! :biggrin: :up:
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Next feature done!

Add FULL Private Messaging system by request. Not sure why I didn't think about that at first, but it's done now. Players can send PM's to each other or the DM and vise versa. Even the play that sends the message can't see it on his/her own device ... now that's private ;)

thought bubbles are blanked out as well ;)

In the screen below, I have displayed a Player 2 window conversing with the DM.

Added some more small features as well, including a new bottom menu for DM's. Mobile device compatibility for DMing and a doorbell that chimes when someone joins the game :)
Attachments
screen13.jpg
screen13.jpg (183.56 KiB) Viewed 5365 times