42nd Anniversary of the term Jump the Shark

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

42nd Anniversary of the term Jump the Shark

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Just a quick post to commemorate the birthday genesis of the term 'Jump the shark' or jumping the shark. It was on this evening forty-two years ago that the infamous episode of Happy Days aired (actually titled 'Hollywood: Part Three'), where Fonzarelli accepts a dare to jump on water skis over a pen containing a shark.
I can actually understand the thinking behind the absurd plot that is remembered to this day and birthed an unflattering reference phrase. Mega-hit movie 'Jaws' had only been released a little over two years earlier. The writers just tried to jump on that train.
However, I saw this as it aired as a young lad and even I, who like tens of thousands of other young boys was infatuated with the Fonz character, thought it was ridiculous.
I know some of you could describe some of the later editions of D&D produced by WOTC as having jumped the shark.
_Matt_
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Re: 42nd Anniversary of the term Jump the Shark

Post by Lukafio »

I too recall that episode from my younger years, and had purged it from memory until just now. Can I send you my therapist's bill? :P
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by JadedDM »

Fun Fact: The opposite of 'jumping the shark' (the specific point where a show's decline in quality can be easily observed as having started) is 'growing the beard' (the specific point when a show's increase in quality can be easily observed as having started). It comes from Star Trek: The Next Generation, and references when Riker grew his beard for season 2.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Lukafio wrote:I too recall that episode from my younger years, and had purged it from memory until just now. Can I send you my therapist's bill?
:D
JadedDM wrote:Fun Fact: The opposite of 'jumping the shark' (the specific point where a show's decline in quality can be easily observed as having started) is 'growing the beard' (the specific point when a show's increase in quality can be easily observed as having started). It comes from Star Trek: The Next Generation, and references when Riker grew his beard for season 2.
8O
Thanks for the input Sir Jaded. I did not know that, but am glad I do now :up:
_Matt_