I've had the computer-in-the-shop blues.

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

I've had the computer-in-the-shop blues.

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Yeah, my desktop has been at the shop for the last ten days. The dvd/cd insert had stopped opening, with one of my Twilight Zone dvds still inside, and there were some other issues that needed attention. Unfortunately, these have occurred after the warranty expired. :sucks: Been real busy as well, but got a chance to get to the library to stop by. Should be getting mine back on Monday.
_Matt_
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: I've had the computer-in-the-shop blues.

Post by garhkal »

Yea, i had a issue a # of years back... Had mine for just over 5 yrs, then it crapped out.. Turned out it was just two bad mem sticks.
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

garhkal wrote:two bad mem sticks.
At first glance I read that as two bald men. :lol:

I hear your woes. I have two laptops and a desktop next to me that I need to fix. Plus my current system is starting to show its age. Guess its time I upgraded from Windows95. :D
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by garhkal »

That happeneed to me, back in 2015 iirc. My old Win 98 laptop finally crapped out after almost 12 years of owning it.. Had to get one with Win 8.1 on as that's all that was available (Or Win 10)..
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Blast it! Got the computer back last week. Noticed when I would leave it for a few hours it would go into a deeper version of sleep. The monitor would come back, but it wouldn't receive any input from the tower. :x Fortunately, the place I took it to the first time has a ninety-day warranty on their jobs.
The tech who worked on it the first time says that he personally doesn't use sleep on his, that in his experience it causes problems for a lot of computers. He believes this new problem might also be connected to the power source for the tower. My desktop is back in the shop, but at least it's covered under the warranty this time. When I get it back I'm going to take this guys advice, disable sleep mode and simply turn the computer off when I'm not going to use it for a moderate length of time.
Back at the library using their public ones :( , but the shop said I should get it back by the end of the business week.
_Matt_
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

At home I use a screen saver and then turn it off when I'm done. At work I have a lock on the screen saver and I restart e very night when I leave (have to leave them on). In both cases though, I don't use sleep. :tired:
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"