A Wild Star Wars discussion appeared!

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall
Favorite D&D Edition: 5th Edition

Re: A Wild Star Wars discussion appeared!

Post by TigerStripedDog »

Crimson-Kobold wrote: What wasn't consistent about it?
That it wasn't used by the Rebels to blow up the Death Star. That it wasn't used by the Rebels to blow up the second Death Star. That it wasn't used by the Resistance to blow up the planet. That the Emperor needed a planet destroying weapon at all (why not just Hyperspeed a Star Destroyer into a planet?). That the Resistance needed a multi-planet destroying weapon (see previous)...

Once any capital ship can be used to wreak that kind of destruction... once it can be turned into an ultimate weapon you lose the need for other ultimate weapons.
Crimson-Kobold wrote: How so? They toppled a galactic Empire, helped set up a replacement Government, and maintained relative peace for three decades. Considering the chaos of the Clone Wars, and the oppressiveness of the Empire, to be able to establish what they did is utterly remarkable. Just look to countries on our world, and how they fair when a despot is removed. Iraq led to a lengthy war that gave rise to one of the most barbaric terrorist organizations in modern history, Libya is still a gong show without Ghaddfi. Removing the head of state who has set themselves up to be the ultimate governing power, and establishing a functional government without it devolving into warlords vying for power is incredibly difficult. The Rebellion, with Luke, Leia, and Han leading the way, accomplished that feat.
That laugh is not one of a villain who has been defeated...

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

No one is going to use kamikaze attacks with their cap ships on a regular basis it's far to costly, and now that their enemies have shown themselves willing to use it a last ditch effort to win a battle, counter measures can and likely will be deployed. Interdictors are still a thing.

And it wouldn't even work on the Death Stars. Large surface damage, sure, but that's not going to trigger the chain reaction needed.
That laugh is not one of a villain who has been defeated...
We dont even know what the context is. Its entirely possible he never actually laughs in RoS. And besides that, he's literally been out of action for three decades. How is that not still an accomplishment?
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

garhkal wrote:How can rey not be the chosen one, with all the force she seems to be able to use?
Well I posted the prophecy itself, and it's pretty clear who its referring to.

I will say the Force seems to choose champions from time to time, and she does seem to fit the bill for that. But she is not the Chosen One.
The Kobold gonna kobold.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by JadedDM »

I just meant, she's nobody important. Not from a great bloodline or conceived by the Force itself. Just the daughter of some deadbeat junkers.
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

Speaking of lineages, I'm actually a little taken back by how many people who think the Force can ONLY be attained by being part of a family with the ability to use the Force. Like, what movies are you people even watching to get that conclusion from? The Skywalker line literally starts from a fatherless conception, the Force don't care about your lineage.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I am somewhat reasonably confident that Rey's and Kylo's connection could, in theory, allow for long range conception due to the fact that rain water was transferred to his glove. Pet theory, do not steal.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm kinda amused no one is freaking out over my casual drop that there is, in fact, canonical time travel in Star Wars.
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

After reading all these posts my brain melted. I guess I just want to say... It's not just space wizards to me, if I can't believe the movie is real, then I just won't be a fan. I've been a DM for longer than I even care to count now and if I can't make my players feel it's a real world, I don't want to even bother DMing. Same goes for starwars...when the movies start being inconsistent, story is not cohesively told, characters are broken...I just lose interest. I'm happy with the new movies, but some of it was terrible .. just like Jar jar.
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

Cole wrote:After reading all these posts my brain melted.
You took the words out of my mouth ... mine too :crazy:
Cole wrote:... when the movies start being inconsistent, story is not cohesively told, characters are broken...I just lose interest.
:pop: It doesn't matter what sort of movie it is. This will always be true for me. I apply the same ideology to television shows and books as well. Give me something believable that fits the tale being told.
Cole wrote:terrible .. just like Jar jar.
I used the Jedi mind-trick on myself. :bash: There is no Jar-Jar.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

But Jar Jar is the most important of them all. But in all seriousness, the blow back against that character was overblown, and the treatment his actor got was entirely uncalled for. But, Star Wars fans gonna do what they do (just like any major franchise)
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

Hahaha... yeah yeah, that actor shoulda been shot! :lol:
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

I recently wrote up a bit regarding the Hyperspace ram, after seeing someone ask about official explanations as to why this tactic wasn't used before or after The Last Jedi, and figured I'd dump it here, as I think it paints a compelling point that, no, we won't see this become a regular occurrence in the setting.
here's what the novel states.
  • Under ordinary operations, the presence of a sizable object along the route between the Raddus's realspace position and its entry point into hyperspace would have caused the cruisers fail safes to cut in and shut down the hyperdrive
ie most ship crews, in the interests of not dying, are not going to have those turned off.
  • When the heavy cruiser plowed into the Supremacy's broad flying wing, the force of the impact was at least three orders of magnitude greater than anything the Raddus's inertial dampeners were rated to handle. The protective field they generated failed immediately, but the heavy cruiser's augmented experimental shields remained intact for a moment longer before the unimaginable force of the impact converted the Raddus into a column of plasma that consumed itself
So their experimental shields played a role, implying it was a one of a kind design and critical for this stunt to actually work.
  • However, the Raddus had also accelerated to nearly the speed of light at the point of that catastrophic impact--and the column of plasma it became was hotter than a sun and intensely magnetized. This plasma was then hurled into hyperspace along a tunnel opened by the null quantum-field generator--a tunnel that collapsed as quickly as it had been opened.
Very precise timing is needed. Hit the speed of light, and you've just jumped into hyperspace. Too close, and you don't turn your ship into that column of super hot plasma.

So there you have it.
  1. People, in the interest of not dying in stupid ways, don't generally turn off the failsafes
  2. The Raddus was noted as being exceptionally large, and was sporting experimental shield tech, which may be lost forever now
  3. It requires precise timing and for a target to be in a formation that would make it worth while
Also followed up with some further unofficial thoughts on the matter.

First, the organizations operating such large cruisers like the Raddus are not generally in the business of throwing away such hugely expensive craft like this. And after this point of the conflict, the Resistance is unlikely to have access to such massive ships, and even less likely to have that experimental shield technology.

And having been subjected to such an attack, the First Order will take precautions for future attempts.
  1. No more lazy fleet formations
  2. Battle tactic changes that prioritizes destroying any ships that may be attempting a Hyperspace ram
  3. Deploy gravity wells to disrupt Hyperspace jumps as a defensive measure. Empire had the technology, no reason for the First Order not to have it as well (since Hyperspace tracking was teased in Rogue One, this makes it almost assured that they have gravity well tech)
With the technical mumbo jumbo out of the way, and a, what I feel, is a reasonable explanation of why this tactic won't become widely used, can we just agree that the scene in question looked and sounded incredible? It was such an intense moment, and in the theatre I saw it in, I swear you could hear a pin drop, like everyone was holding their breath. It actually prompted some theatres to put out signs hinting at that scene and asking for people to be respectful and not ruin the moment.

Super cool, and can't wait to see what Rise of Skywalker holds for us.
The Kobold gonna kobold.