Preacher

Post your poems, scriptures, stories & other written work here. If they get lots of attention, we may even post them under PADnD's content section.

Moderator: Stik

Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Preacher

Post by Stik »

I enjoyed the show Preacher in AMC, which prompted me to read the comics.
I like the comics even more.
But I've finished them, and now I'm looking for something similar to read. Any recommendations?
"No matter where you go, there you are."
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Preacher

Post by JadedDM »

I haven't read any comics since I was a kid, so I'm afraid I can't offer anything.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Re: Preacher

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Can't get into the local comic shop as much as I want to, but am still reading them. I wasn't familiar with Preacher; after reading your post got learned about the comic. That's kind of a tough one to think of good, similar titles for, because of the religious aspects of 'Preacher'. The first one that comes to mind is Hellboy. The publisher of 'Hellboy', Dark Horse Comics, is putting out a lot of new stories and buzz in regard to the title because there is a new 'Hellboy' movie being released on April 12. If you want to start at the very beginning Dark Horse is also re-releasing the very first HB story, 'Seeds of Destruction in a 25th Anniversary issue.

Mike Mignola, the writer and original artist on 'Hellboy', also does the art on a comic I'm really enthusiastic about. It's another Dark Horse title, 'Joe Golem: Occult Detective My brother Brian who is also a comic book person, loaned me one and after finishing it I in short order went out and tracked down the rest for that particular story arc. There are new issues being published, really looking forward to picking those up next week. Here's a link to the issue that got me started: https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2188/joe ... ew-roundup

An out of print title that like 'Preacher' also was published by Vertigo is House of Mystery. I got my hands on a 'House of Mystery' graphic novel about eight years back and liked it. Here's the Wikipedia description of the title:
House of Mystery is an American occult and horror-themed comic book anthology series, based on the House of Mystery series that ran from 1951 to 1983. The writers, Bill Willingham and Lilah Sturges (credited as "Matthew Sturges"),debuted the series in July 2008 under the Vertigo imprint of DC Comics.

Plot[edit]
Cain (of Cain and Abel) attempts to return to the House of Mystery, his home in the Dreaming, and finds that it has disappeared. Seven years later, in Texas, a former architecture student named Bethany "Fig" Keele flees her burning house, saving only a handful of sketches she once made of a house from her dreams. Keele is pursued by a "Pair of the Conception", agents of an entity known as the "Omneity"; they are two people, a male and a female, always holding hands. If they let go of one another, they will disappear. The pair chases her through a door and unwittingly into the House of Mystery, where she meets the inhabitants of the house bar and discovers the terms of what is apparently her imprisonment. Everyone must pay for their drinks with stories, and no one can leave without being picked up by the house's mysterious coachman. None of the house's occupants are sure why some people might get to leave and others not, so each person's stay is at least ostensibly eternal until the coachman inexplicably turns up to take them away. This doesn't stop some of the inhabitants from trying to get out, nor does it stop Cain from attempting to get back in.
Not only myself, but a comic shop employee recommends Hellblazer featuring John Constantine. The Constantine character in part spends his time trying to overcome the influence of both heaven and hell over humanity. He appears in the mainstream DC Universe, but 'Hellblazer' was independent of that and published by Vertigo.
This comic was among a bunch I bought out of the 50 cent bins a couple weeks back, but was very impressed with: Dream Police published by Image. Read #7 and really like it, very surreal. Want to get more. Here's the summary of issue #1 from the Image website:
Dream Police Detectives Joe Thursday and Frank Stanford have been partners for as long as they can remember, patrolling the alternate universe of dreams, nightmares, and the great void beyond, an alternate but very real dimension of changelings, echoes, wisps, ethers, and nightwalkers, those who died in their sleep and wander the dreamscape forever. They've seen it all. But when Frank steps away and disappears...and the woman who returns says she's Joe's partner, that she's always been Joe's partner...he begins a journey into the unknown that will shake the dreaming down to its very foundations.
The employee at the comic shop also recommended the title 'Redneck'. Have never read it myself.
I e-mailed my brother for his recommendations and he replied, but don't want to overwhelm you with too many at once. Hope you'll end up enjoying some of these comics, but if none of them sound good, let me know and I'll pass along Brians suggestions.
_Matt_