Hybrid 1E/5E Rules

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Hybrid 1E/5E Rules

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

Not trying to be snarky, but there is a perfect fix for that. Just play 1E. All bias aside, I've not seen an edition past 2E that has made the game better. Each has only made it less and less like D&D and more and more like Superhero Powers. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Very little if anything in 1E and/or 2E is broken that can't be fixed by either ignoring it or via simple DM whim that takes no effort. Each edition 3E and beyond breaks the game and emasculates it more. That's just a fact.

And this I'm not directing at you either, but speaking in general - an observation I've made over time. It seems to me that a lot of people buy these new editions wanting them to play like the old editions. They want what cannot be. It's always going to be far easier to tweak an original than to "upgrade" to a totally different edition and then try to retro-fit the new edition to the old. They don't fit. Oil and water. 1E and 2E are both Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. 3E, 4E, 5E, etc are all just derivative works - a Frankensteinian mish-mash of mess. You really either play AD&D or you play Modern D&D. There's really no way to combine oil and water. Not in a game at least.
Meph
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st & 2nd Edition

Re: Hybrid 1E/5E Rules

Post by Meph »

I am not going to disagree with you Halaster because as you can tell by my posts, I struggle to embrace 5E myself. It just doesn't, and most likely never feel like what I truly want from my game. My group consists of some of my best friends. My first edition was the Moldvay Basic set and I tinkered with it but I didn't really start playing until my friend Tim introduced me to 1E when I was 13. He DM'd for that first summer and then the reins passed to me for the past 31 years. Shawn and Elmer I met in college and have played with me in just about every game I have run since. The two "new" players are both co-workers that I have known for 20 years now. The reason I even considered 5E was interest from my group. If my groups were disposable I would just dump it all and go back to 2E but i'm not willing to throw away decades of gaming with these guys over the edition of the game. They know the issues I am having with it and know that ultimately we will probably be back to 2E but for now I will keep plugging away and working on modifying things that I don't like. All of the issues aside, I honestly do have fun when we play. It does sound like a mess sometimes when I start detailing the classes and the damage they are doing, but it does play pretty fast and loose. The game flows well and they are enjoying themselves. I guess only time will tell what we end up playing but as I said, i'm not going to throw out my group over the sake of an edition. As long as we all still enjoy playing we will keep at it. If 5E becomes unbearable for me to run then I will switch. I still want to see how the game performs at level 10+.