Lurking with a paint brush

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

BryantTheSwordsman
Freeman
Freeman
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Lurking with a paint brush

Post by BryantTheSwordsman »

Hey ladies and gents, it a been a while since I've posted and wanted say hi.

Recently I've gotten into Warhammer AoS and 40k and got way over my head in miniatures. Hence the title, lurking with a paint brush. This brought an idea that I haven't seen here in a while.

Who uses minis for dnd? What minis do you use? Do you buy pre painted or paint yourself? The roots of dnd where founded in wargaming and I was just wondering who here keeps it going.
I've learned from my time playing that one enjoyment of gaming was tactile fun of it. Minis to me help enhance that and increase my enjoyment. Do you have similar players or yourself like them?

Good to say hi and ramble with some fellow nerds again.
"The Gerbil of Andor and Alera"
Meph
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st & 2nd Edition

Re: Lurking with a paint brush

Post by Meph »

Welcome Bryant. When I returned to D&D after a couple decades off I decided I wanted to build up my miniature collection fast so I started buying cases of each set of the Wizkids Icons of the Realms minis. I have thousands of minis and a great collection to work from so these days I have stopped buying cases and focus more on individual unpainted miniatures and am focusing my collection. I also 3D print a lot of terrain and miniatures myself. Now I need to learn how to properly base my minis. Show us what ya got. Here are some my prepainted.

Even have the full set of Wizkids Wardlings figures for my 5E game I run for my kids.

Meph
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st & 2nd Edition

Post by Meph »

There are so many good minis coming out to paint lately it's really taken a hit on my wallet. The D&D Nolzur's and Pathfinder Deep Cuts lines are great minis for the price.

I just caught the restock and have 5 more Beholders coming so I am really looking forward to painting them up. I picked up a few more Owlbears to paint. I already have 3 standard ones, I think I am going to do some Snow Owlbear variants with these. I also threw a Shambling Mound and a Remorhaz in the order. Then of course with 3D printing, the sky is the limit. There are some amazing artists out there making 3d Models for printing but so far I am trying to stick with large scale monsters that there aren't good affordable minis of or minis I need in a pinch that I don't have. I won't even get into all the terrain I have printed....we'll maybe I will in a day or two. Will give ya a break from my pic spam.

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by garhkal »

That's some good paint jobs there..