Chronicles of Trini Kurtz

Forum for our dedicated NWN server. Server IP and instructions all within these topics.

Moderator: Cole

JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Chronicles of Trini Kurtz

Post by JadedDM »

RPG Dinosaur wrote:Glad Trini is back in action.
Thanks. I've been trying to think up ways to make these summaries a little more interesting to read. I'm worried I'm going to wind up in a rut, where every entry is just "went out, killed some things, died a few times, got some loot, returned to town." So I wasn't sure if anyone would still be interested in reading these things.
Cole wrote:If you are at 8th level (and have run out of souls to burn) IE the CON tally... and have (let's say) 34,800 xp and you die... then you go back to the beginning of 8th level and start adventuring again at 28,000 XP.
It kinds of reminds me of the system they had in place for Final Fantasy 11. But in that game, you could actually de-level if you died too much. It sounds like that won't happen here then?

Anyway, Day 02: Search for the Bandits

So first thing was to grab a couple of henchmen, preferably ones close to my level. I had initially decided on Korrd and Ardun. But Korrd was...occupied. Actually, he was in a fight with a barmaid. Really going all out, too, with both swords and an entangle spell he dropped in the middle of the common room of the tavern. Despite this, she was still beating him. Anyway, you can't talk to NPCs when they are fighting, so I couldn't recruit him. So I went and picked up Borme instead.

The three of us set out, pausing briefly at Sohl's shrine on the way for a quick prayer, to the north. We enter the Western Region of Bryn, then move on to the Far Western Region where I originally encountered bandits. Basically, the same thing as last time happened. The bandits were originally non-hostile, but then at some point suddenly all of them turned hostile. I fought and killed them all, including their leader, although this cost me all of my healing potions (9 moderates and 2 criticals) and my healing kit, and Ardun. But, I couldn't find any prisoners anywhere and the loot was pretty minimal--a handful of copper rings and a couple of gold rings, I think. But I got a decent chunk of XP, and hey, I didn't die.

So I wasn't sure if the quest didn't activate properly or if maybe there is another group of bandits I'm supposed to be looking for. I return to Western Bryn, but I ran afoul of a pair of Ekothians who killed Borme easily, and seemed a bit much for me to handle on my own, especially as my healing potions were gone. So I booked it back to Elspir alone.

So, I'll need to restock on my potions, hire more hirelings and try again. Maybe this time focus on just Western Bryn instead of Far Western Bryn?
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

JadedDM wrote: But in that game, you could actually de-level if you died too much. It sounds like that won't happen here then?
No, you can't de-level ;)
JadedDM wrote: So, I'll need to restock on my potions, hire more hirelings and try again. Maybe this time focus on just Western Bryn instead of Far Western Bryn?
Yep, the bandits your looking for are stashed away closer to Elspir in Western Bryn ;)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Cole wrote:Yep, the bandits your looking for are stashed away closer to Elspir in Western Bryn ;)
D'oh! Oh, well. All I lost was a lot of gold, and that can be easily replenished. I gained XP and didn't die and lose XP, so still a win. I'll try again next time.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

How did you lose XP?
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

I didn't. I said, "I didn't die and lose XP."

Anyway, Day 03: Two for the Price of One

First, I went ahead and hired Korrd (who wasn't busy fighting a barmaid this time) and Ardun, then I set off to the north, into Western Bryn. The bandits were to the west of the region, but not realizing that I started my search on the east side. So it took me awhile to find them. Along the way, I found a graveyard mushroom to turn in for another quest. I also ran into another couple of Ekothian raiders (one horseman and one footman), and after killing them found some nice loot, including a Cloak of Protection from Law. I went ahead and equipped it, since it was better than my mundane cloak, even if it's protection is pretty situational. (I'm not sure how many Lawful enemies I'll be fighting.)

Eventually, I circled all the way around the zone back toward the entrance, when I found some bandits camped outside of a cave. We killed them all without too much difficulty, although one of the archers hit me with a poison arrow and I lost a few CON points. The bandits had almost no treasure, and there was no sign of a little girl anywhere. So I decided to check out the cave.

Inside the cave, I found some goblins which weren't any kind of trouble. There was one friendly goblin, though, a fellow named Dirtlash. He didn't want to fight, so agreed to tell us about the little girl. He had apparently grown fond of her and was glad to see her get out of there. He told us she was very good at hiding, and to try looking behind some crates. There was a room further in full of crates, barrels and boxes and most of them contained rings, gems, gold, scrolls and potions. After searching them all, we found little Alicia crouching behind a big box.

I told her the way was safe and gave her a map to get back to Elspir. She lamented the loss of her teddy bear, but agreed.

On the way back to the entrance, I told Dirtlash the girl was safe, and he mentioned the bandits were after his chieftain's treasure. But it was deeper in the cave, behind a locked door that even Trini couldn't pick. He had the key, and handed it over for a single gold piece. Well, looks like there is a little more to this quest than I thought.

I unlock the door and delve into the second level. The place is crawling with goblins, but none are very dangerous to the three of us. Eventually we come across a room that's filled with crates again, and a ton of goblins, including a chieftain riding a giant spider. Which I have to admit is pretty badass. We killed them all in a fairly tough fight; poor Ardun was down to 2 HP when it was over, but there were no deaths. We looted all of the crates, which contained, among other things, a teddy bear. I immediately got a quest to return it to Alicia.

So we rested up, headed back to the surface, and down south to Elspir. I turned in the mushroom to the turkey farmer, then headed into town to Alicia's house. Imagine my surprise when there are two Alicia's sitting outside, crying about their lost teddy bears. I talk to them both, but cannot seem to turn the bear over to either one. Then suddenly, Korrd starts attacking and at first I think he's attacking one of the girls and panic, but it turns out a couple of muggers have spawned. After killing them, we go and sell what loot we can. Then return to both of the Alicia's, but still can't turn in that teddy bear.

Ah, well. I still earned about 2,000 XP total, not to mention over 4,400 GP. That more than makes up for all the gold I lost last time. And I only used like two moderate cure potions, so it didn't cost much to restock.

So all in all, this outing was a success. I still have a bit of a ways to go before I reach level 7, but I am making progress. Not sure what to do with this teddy bear, though.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

2 Alicia's ... now how did that happen? LoL .. I didn't even think that could happen, but I already know why it did. (It's because someone else started that quest and didn't finish it). Which is kinda cool!... nice that multiple people can do it. I'm not sure why she didn't take the teddy though (I'll look into that right now) :)

Sounds like you had a really good night... I'd say total success :)

Keep up the log. ;)

*Update* Figured out why multiple girls come and why you couldn't turn in the teddy bear.. simple mind fart ;)
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Day 04: Deep Forest

First, I paid a visit to Alicia. There was only one of her this time, but she still wouldn't accept the teddy bear. Before I could ponder what to do next, I received a party invite. Generally I don't accept blind invites, but I didn't have anything else planned today, so why not? The party consisted of a halfling rogue named Bymar Whistlesone and a human (I think) cleric named Woodrof. (If there is a way to see a person's race/class/level, I don't know how. Bymar told me he was a rogue and I deduced he was halfling from his size, and I figured out Woodrof was a cleric when he started casting clerical spells). There was also an NPC henchman, Biam Blimfrin, who seemed like some kind of fighter maybe, I'm not sure.

Bymar said they were going to check out the Deep Forest in Far Western Bryn. I had passed by there before, but never went in, as I wasn't sure how deep it was or how hard it might be. I had assumed these guys were way over my level, but Bymar said he was only level 7, so I agreed.

Woodrof would buff us up and then take the lead, while his henchman and a summoned skeletal warrior provided back up and Bymar and myself stayed in the back and shot arrows with our bows. The first area we explored, simply called Deep Forest, was mostly just wild animals and the like. The XP was sparse and so was the treasure. For the most part, it reminded me of when I would group up in MMOGs like FF14 or DDO; I'd just struggle to keep up while the others just cleared away everything without breaking a sweat.

We did encounter some tougher monsters, like an ettin and a basilisk. But they weren't too hard. I think the most difficult thing we ran afoul of was an ambush of phase spiders that spawned practically on top of us. Caught us off guard, but we managed. Another difficult part was something called Vege-pygmies. Neither my mundane or my +1 arrows would work on them, which meant only Woodrof could hurt them. But he seemed to do fine on his own. We also, at one point, encountered a group of humans who attacked us on sight. They were called, uh...a racial slur for the Romani people. That was...a bit uncomfortable. Cole, maybe you want to rename them to bandits or vagrants or something? Anyway, there wasn't much treasure in their camp. Bymar picked up 20 GP and gave it to me, I guess to be nice.

Anyway, we eventually made our way to a grove of some kind. There were satyrs, mycanoids (fungus folk) and treants. None were hostile, but they didn't seem to have anything to say. There were some ancient ruins, too. We found some kind of druidic circle of sorts, where a bunch of treants were, and one of them had a name. Now, this got a bit weird. Woodrof spoke to this one and asked him to join our group. He failed his persuasion check, so the treant refused. But then the other, nameless treants immediately started beating up the named treant (sorry, I forgot to write down his name). They killed him, and we all just stood there, agape. Then the named treant revived, so Woodrof tried again. Same result, he failed his persuasion check and then the other treants killed the named treant. When he revived a third time, I tried it myself. I have 8 ranks in persuasion, but it wasn't enough (not surprising; his CR rated Impossible for me, which meant he was a minimum of 5 levels stronger than me). This time, though, the other treants left him alone. Bymar tried, too, failed, and again the other treants didn't attack. Weird.

So we went back to the ruins, and then Woodrof announced he had to leave and logged out. Then, strangely enough, a nearby treant attacked his henchman, killing him. Biam revived, and then was killed by the treant again. Bymar and I decided this forest was kind of dangerous, so we started making our way back. We were just two rogues now, so we had be careful. When we got attacked, one of us would kite the enemy around while the other shot at it. If the enemy switched targets, then we'd switch roles. This worked out pretty well. And when we won, we got way more XP than before. Turns out Woodrof was level 10, so was sucking it all up.

Once we were out of the forest, Bymar suggested we try going after the bandits in that area. This was moderately difficult, as our kiting strategy was less effective (most of the bandits were archers or crossbowmen). I had to burn through about 4 CMW potions, which isn't too bad (I usually carry about 10 of them on me when I go adventuring). We killed all the bandits and found a Short Bow +1 (which Bymar claimed) and a Throwing Axe +3 which I got. I can't use it, but I can sell it. We also got a pair of horses, which made getting out of there a lot easier.

After returning to Elspir, Bymar offered to show me how the auction house works in Agoria. He asked how much gold I have, and told him I only had around 7k. He then told me he had about 50. He said he died a lot, and this left him pretty broke. I immediately felt bad for accepting that 20 GP (and letting him pay the 1 GP fee to get back into Elspir). So I returned the 20 GP and agreed to pay the teamster to take us to Agoria.

This got me thinking...is my experience in the game different from the norm, or is his? Have I been pretty lucky to make this kind of gold while soloing? It's kind of funny, because in-character, Trini is supposed to be poor and struggling to make ends meet, but I guess having 7 grand kind of negates that. I usually wind up spending several hundred on each expedition, for healing potions and hiring henchmen. And I don't always make enough gold to balance that out, but lately I've managed to get some good loot to sell, so I don't know. Maybe I've just been lucky with the random placement of treasure. Or just been very cautious in my playstyle. I have yet to die once since Trini was rebooted.

Anyway, we got to Agoria and he showed me the basics of how the auction house worked. I dropped a gold ring in and we watched the NPCs bid on it. I wound up getting 219 GP for it (well, 198 after the house took their cut), and I gave it all to Bymar as thanks for showing me how the system works. I asked him to show me to an inn so I could quit for the night. He took me to his favorite spot, but when I went inside, it was kind of a mess. One of the waitresses was red (meaning hostile toward me), and several patrons were in a full blown fight (throwing spells and everything). So I slipped out and found another inn on my own. But that one also had a hostile waitress, and a big, hulking minotaur who just killed every NPC he found, one by one (he wasn't hostile toward me, though, thankfully). At that point, I just shrugged and logged out. Agoria 'tis a silly place. :lol:

Overall, I made about 1,000 XP and 1,000 GP (although I haven't had a chance to sell my loot yet, including that throwing axe). I am getting pretty close to level 7. I think I need another 2-3k XP to get there. Oh, I also found a ring which turned out to be a Ring of Fire Resistance, so I put that on. Between that and Sohl's blessing to protect me from cold damage, I feel pretty safe from the elements. Well, as long as I stay out of thunderstorms, anyway.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

JadedDM wrote: Eventually we come across a room that's filled with crates again, and a ton of goblins, including a chieftain riding a giant spider. Which I have to admit is pretty badass.
That is pretty cool. IIRC the Drow did that in the D series of 1E modules.
It sure is bizarre about the group of Treants killing the one who didn't fall for your party's persuasion attempts.
_Matt_
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Maybe they were mad he didn't spend several years deciding before giving an answer. :lol:
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Day 05: Flaming Trolls

Today, I didn't really have a plan of any kind. I decided I would head south and try exploring the southern regions of Bryn, which is where I more or less left off when I perma-died.

I grabbed Ardun only, which was probably a mistake, but I figured I'd be okay with just one henchman. We headed past the Elspir farmlands, into the southwestern region of Bryn. After exploring a bit, I found a passage leading to an area called the Abandoned Cemetery. Ironically, I never found the actual cemetery and the presumed undead swarming around it. Instead, I wound up finding a troll cave.

Moving in carefully, as I wasn't sure how strong trolls would be compared to myself, I managed to find one by itself. I threw an alchemist fire at it, then sent in Ardun while I fired arrows. It took a lot longer than I would have expected to wear it down, and at one point I had to use a healing kit on Ardun to keep him standing. But eventually the troll went down. I wasn't sure how trolls work in this game, so I pulled out my torch and tried to use it on the corpse. But it got back up before I could, so we fought it some more. Eventually it went down again, and the torch caught it aflame and killed it for real. I mean, I thought it did. I got XP for it. But then it got back up again anyway. We killed it again, and got XP for it again. (Also, I got a notice that Ardun's actions had given me 1 point of Evil, and I have no idea why.)

The only thing on the troll's corpse was a heart, and when I picked it up I immediately got a quest to turn it in to Tarm. I've never been there, but I think it's nearby.

Perhaps pressing my luck, I ventured deeper into the cave and found two more of them. I lured one away from the other, and we did the same routine. And again, the same problem. I kept 'killing' it with the torch and then it would revive again. Consequently, it killed Ardun and I was forced to run for it. The troll chased me all the way back out the cave and through the zone before I lost it (it was fully healed by that point). A ghoul somewhere on the map must have seen me and followed, too, all the way back to the Southwestern region. I killed the ghoul, but it diseased me, and I got a CON penalty as a result.

On the bright side, I leveled up! I am now level 7. However, shortly after entering Central Southern Bryn, I passed by a hill with a giant on it. It threw a rock at me for 15 damage, and since my CON was down, it was a KO. I bled out and died, and respawned back in Elspir.

Well, since I had just hit level 7, I didn't lose too much XP, at least. I did lose a chunk of gold, not to mention the gold I spent on Ardun and all of the healing potions I used. Hopefully, next time I can find Tarm and turn in that troll heart and hopefully make up for some of that.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Awesome! :lol: *tip for Trini* put your extra gold in the bank (they work like an ATM) and you can deposit money at any bank and pick it up anywhere else that has a bank. Then when you die, you don't lose a ton ;)
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Ah, I see. That reminds me a bit of how things worked in Ultima Online, way back in the day.

Day 06: Tarm

So today I decided to visit Tarm. I have that troll heart, after all, not to mention some 'mugger tags' I've picked up. Plus, I know where it is now (and it turns out I got really close before I wound up perma-dying).

First I recruit Korrd and Ardun again, I restock my CMW potions, and I also decided to get a horse. There were a number to choose from at the stable. The cheapest one was 80 GP. I don't know what the difference is between them. Maybe the more expensive ones are faster? I also wonder if they are permanent or not. Turns out, not. As soon as I claim the horse with the voucher I bought, the voucher vanishes. So I guess it's more like renting a horse.

I ride south, to the farmlands, into the Southwestern region of Bryn, then the Southern region, and then east from there to Tarm. I don't run into anything big, just a gnoll and some goblins and a few mundane animals like badgers and boars. None of them prove to be any trouble.

Once in Tarm, I find the guy who wants troll hearts. I give him one, but he won't take the second one. So I'm not sure what to do with that. Maybe it's worth something in a shop. I also go and meet the mayor, who happens to be named Neina Nacomis. I wonder if she's somehow related to Nina Nacomis, the woman who I met before? Well, she doesn't seem to recognize me, regardless. She takes the tags for a smidgen of gold and XP (I think they were like 4 GP and 10 XP each?).

My final stop is the Tarm Crypt. Is going into a crypt a good idea? In D&D, never. But I do it anyway. The first level isn't too bad. A couple of zombies and a couple of ghouls. One of the latter hits me and I get diseased, which I am forced to heal up with potions. Looking around the place, we find a key to the second level.

The second level is way worse. There are like almost half a score of allips. They swarm all over my henchmen, killing Korrd and dropping Ardun. I am forced to retreat back to the first level and only a couple follow me. So I pick them off (I only take one hit, and luckily make my fort save), then finish off the few remaining that my henchmen failed to destroy. Ardun revives and I try to heal him up a bit, and then we head down to level 3.

In level 3, we run into a...crap. I actually forgot what it was. Zombie Lord or something like that? It killed Ardun, but I managed to finish it off. However, that was as far as I could go. I found a door that led to a hallway with two creatures called Skeleton Bombs or something like that. They rated Difficult to me, and I was all alone, so I just closed the door and headed back. No need to take any big risks.

Overall, I didn't make much money. But I did find a Ring of Protection +1, so that was nice. In terms of XP, I made about 1,000. I am still around 6,000 XP away from level 8, so it'll be awhile yet.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

JadedDM wrote: I also decided to get a horse. There were a number to choose from at the stable. The cheapest one was 80 GP. I don't know what the difference is between them. Maybe the more expensive ones are faster? I also wonder if they are permanent or not. Turns out, not. As soon as I claim the horse with the voucher I bought, the voucher vanishes. So I guess it's more like renting a horse.
You get the token when you purchase a horse, when your done with the horse, simply find a stable and "stable" your horse, you get the token back. Thus permanent ;)

Yeah, Neina is a NPC from my old PnP world, she's also a PC in this world. The real Neina is in Tarm ;)
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Ah. Well, I logged off while on the horse, so when I logged in today, it was gone, so... oh, well!

Day 07: Back to Stonecall

Not really a lot to say. I'm making my own map this time around, so that means re-visiting some places just for the sake of completing it. It's kind of nostalgic. Back in the day, this is was just how videogames worked. You took notes and made maps yourself. Nowadays, everything has a wiki or online walkthrough. Now and again I'll be digging through my stuff and find some old map I drew as a kid, or a list of instructions on how to get through a puzzle or something. Then I think to myself, "Ha, the old days were a hassle!" :lol:

Anyway, I picked up Korrd (who was injured and out of spells; probably from all the bar-fighting going on) and Ardun and headed directly to the east of Elspir, the Highlands. My henchmen kept getting stuck in the trees, but eventually we made it to Stonecall again. For the heck of it, I decided to try the trog cavern again. It went pretty well. In the final battle with the chieftain, both of my henchmen fell. But I was able to pick off the remaining enemies, and eventually both of them woke up again. Unfortunately, they killed the chieftain right away, so by the time the fight ended, his body had de-spawned. So I didn't get his head, and couldn't complete the quest by throwing it into the fire in town. Ah, well.

Overall, I made like 200 GP and maybe 600 XP? Not even enough coin to make up for the henchmen fees, but I also got a ton of potions (Curing, Barkskin, Antidotes, among other things), so at least I'm well stocked on those for awhile.

Oh, there was one other thing. Some guy in the temple hired me to retrieve his family, taken by bandits. He said they were taken to the forest to the north, in some Forbidden Fortress. I'm wondering if he means that forest I visited with Bymar and Woodrof before? I don't remember seeing a fortress in there, but then again, we didn't explore the entire thing, either. Maybe that will be my next mission. I might need to take special precautions, though. I remember those Vege-pygmies were immune to my arrows (the mundane and the +1 ones), so I should try and find something that will work on them.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Day 08: Mouse House

I didn't do much tonight. I got another horse, rode back to Tarm, dropped off another troll heart for 500 XP and 100 GP, rode back to Elspir, and made sure to stable the horse this time so I got the token.

However, I think I missed something big that went down. I'm not sure what. But when I first logged in, I found several high level henchmen in the tavern (I know they are high level because I could not hire them). They were just milling about, like someone had left them there. Also, in town, several of the guards were badly injured. So I don't know what happened, but I think I missed a party.

I also passed by a place called the Mouse House and went inside. There was a rat running around, and a woman screaming, begging me to kill it. I attacked the rat and...I couldn't hit it. Even an attack roll of 30 was not high enough to hit it. Then the rat started attacking me. Granted, it was just a rat and only dealt minor damage. But I couldn't fight back at all, so it would have eventually killed me. So I ran for it. Luckily it didn't follow me outside. It might have wiped out the whole guard or something. 8O :lol: