Family woes.. Boo hiss..

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Re: Family woes.. Boo hiss..

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

garhkal wrote:BUT if they are supposedly wanting me to come the hell up, to take him when he gets discharged, DON'T THEY THINK it would be a bloody good idea, to actually, you know.. TELL ME WHEN the hell i need to be up there?!
Yeah, that's got to be frustrating. It seems like there was real progress being made with your brothers situation, especially with the promise of him to remain in communication, and now the situation has turned frustrating because of everybody's (except yours) lack of communication.
I'll continue to be thinking about you both. I'll continue to hope that your brother returns to the promising progress and communication he was heading towards, and that a suitable location can be found for him in order to get the therapy. I'll also continue to hope that you have the patience and both physical and mental energy needed to deal with this.
_Matt_
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by garhkal »

Well, it seems part of the reason i was not called all last week, was they felt it wasn't worth it, when there was no news to update me on..
Billy_Buttcheese
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Billy_Buttcheese »

Damn, Bro. Not sure how to respond to that. Sounds like he might be feeling a little more like himself, based on how you described him in the past. I told you the VA would be a good idea but I can tell you from personal experience they will not do DICK without his DD214. About 12 years ago, when my parents moved back to my area, I took my father to our local VA. He was a WWII vet and had never used the VA for any services and didn't even know he was eligible. I went with him and we spent most of a morning filling out about 75 forms (only a slight exaggeration). About two weeks later they called him to set up his initial appointments. For the rest of his days, they handled everything medical about him, including some very expensive hearing aids (another 50 forms) and his hospice stay when he passed in '13. He told me several times he wished he had known he was eligible when he was younger, if only for the cheaper meds.

I'll say this for you, you've been pretty patient with him. I'm not certain I would have the same level of patience you're showing. No one can say you haven't been trying to help. Best of luck and keep up the good work!
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

It does sound like a very frustrating situation. Personally, I would want regular updates from someone, regardless of whether there was anything new to report. No news is good news, but you still gotta hear that there's no news. I hope this situation turns around for the better. Dealing with family is always tricky, but when the government is also a player, that's where it really gets difficult.

I went through a very combative episode with the local health care system and authorities years ago when my grandmother was dying of cancer. First, the hospital kept giving her cold sodas and Popsicles after abdominal surgery. :roll: No, that's contraindicated to the extreme. They wouldn't stop, so I told them I was going to cook up some real chicken soup (organic chicken, cook it in crock pot for 24 hrs, along with organic veggies - perfect, healing food). I told the doctor, the nutritionist, and the nurses (all of whom argued with me about diet even though I had infinitely higher levels of training in nutrition than all of them combined) that I would cook up a few gallons of soup and bring it so they could all also enjoy it, as long as they made sure she was eating 3 bowls daily - hot!

The nutritionist argued that she had no appetite and was suffering from nausea and could not be released in that condition. I told her that was because of all the cold crap they were giving her and that the nutritionist was going to learn something in a few hours, and I also left with the admonishment that if anyone served her another cold drink or Popsicle, I was going to bring a Super Bomb Pop (those giant red, white and blue rocket-shaped Popsicles) and shove it very deep inside that person, somewhere very uncomfortable. And yes, I would bring extras for the security guard as well. And no, I wasn't joking either. And I made that part crystal clear. I told them: "Ask my grandmother if you think I'm joking."

Came back the next day with the soup, my grandmother refused to eat. Nutritionist is standing there with a cocky grin. I said: "Grandma, just take a sip. I just want to know if you think I cooked it as well as you used to." She took a sip, then another, then devoured the bowl and asked for seconds. It was my turn to smirk at the idiot nutritionist.

She left the hospital 24 hours later.

Then we got some whacked out Jesus-freak therapist visiting her at the house. The woman stood next to my grandmother's bed and pointed at the dresser, where she had a picture of me, my brother, my mother and my uncle (her son) and a picture of Jesus. The lunatic therapist starts pointing at the pictures and squealing (like a child might): "Oh look! He's my friend! That's my best friend in the whole world!" as if speaking to a child. She was talking about Jesus. :roll: My grandmother asked: "Who is this ass-hole?" (grandma did not mince words!). She told me that she did not want this therapist back - ever! The therapist got pissy with me, so I told the therapist that she should go play with Jesus, because she would not be coming by anymore. :roll:

She retaliated by calling Senior Protective Services and claiming my grandmother wasn't being fed. In reality, my grandmother told me she was going to skip breakfast because the meds made her tired and she wanted to wait until I brought more soup which was brewing at home, later in the afternoon. We had all her meds listed and coded, time sheets for taking it, evaluation forms I'd fill out to track her progress, and a refrigerator full of food along with charts showing what she ate and when (so I could evaluate her appetite and make sure she was eating enough). She had far better and more professional care, around the clock, than she ever got at the hospital.

I went to get the soup and I got a call from my uncle (her son, who was there with her 24/7 and especially any time I couldn't be there) and he told me they had sent people to investigate and they wanted to take her back to the hospital. I knew she only had months or even weeks to live, and she told me she would NEVER go back to that hospital alive. If they took her there, she would have died. I told him to ask who was in charge and put that person on the line. I told them I was on my way over and that if she was removed from that house, I was going to track down and murder in cold blood and in the most brutal manner imaginable, every single person involved with removing her, authorizing anyone to go remove her, or taking any part in the decision to remove her. I was quite graphic. I told them to ask my grandmother about my training and my temperament. They fled quickly, and wisely left well enough alone.

I got a call from the police and senior services shortly after, asking if I had "used threatening language" towards the health workers. I said no, it was not a threat I made. What I did was made a sacred vow to hunt down and murder brutally in cold blood anyone involved in removing her from that house. Don't f*cking test me. I explained how she was being taken care of, and that any removal or attempt at removal would be viewed by me and my family as premeditated murder and that I would indeed track down and kill everyone involved. I had never been more serious in my life. Sometimes, you need to go above and beyond the law and handle things yourself, because they tend to think they are in charge and can do what they want. They very wisely backed down and never bothered us again. But yeah, dealing with these people can be a chore.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by garhkal »

Billy_Buttcheese wrote:Damn, Bro. Not sure how to respond to that. Sounds like he might be feeling a little more like himself, based on how you described him in the past. I told you the VA would be a good idea but I can tell you from personal experience they will not do DICK without his DD214.
Well, his workmate's been working on getting it. So i guess they got a copy, now they are trying to go to the VA.. I Doubt the hospital would do that if they DIDN'T..
Billy_Buttcheese wrote: I'll say this for you, you've been pretty patient with him. I'm not certain I would have the same level of patience you're showing. No one can say you haven't been trying to help. Best of luck and keep up the good work!
Thanks.. Well, still no call from him. Even after me griping to the physio yesterday..