Should flame tongues give "warmth"?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Should flame tongues give "warmth"?

Post by garhkal »

Over on DF, in a discussion about magical swords, it was pointed out, that THOUGH a frost brand does give it's wielder Fire resistance.. A Flame tongue, does NOT give the same towards cold..

So who here thinks that a flame tongue, SHOULD have granted the effects of the ring of warmth (spell resist cold) to it's wielder, in the same vein that a frost brand grants fire resistance?
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Should flame tongues give "warmth"?

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

In my current campaign, we use it that way. It does make sense to have it do that. Of course, I've heard it argued that a flame tongue is, as its base, a +1 weapon whereas the frost brand is at a base a +3 weapon, and the frost brand goes up to +6 vs. +4 for the flame tongue. I never bought that argument. I think it makes sense for both to work the same.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

True, but just looking at the 1e DMG< the flame tongue is listed as only 900xp/4500gp, where the frost brand is listed at 1600xp/8000xp.. Almost double it's value. Some on DF, feel that if we DID give the flame tongue the effect of that ring, we should bump up its xp to being comparible to the frost brand.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Yeah, it would make sense to jack up its xp/gp value.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

So as it stands, no it wouldn't give a "warmth" like effect, as the FB does fire resistance. BUT if it did, it would be worth comparible XP..
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Yep, I'd do both.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Copy that. So for NOW, i'll stick with it does NOT give a ring of warmth like effect. BUT there might be a greater version out there, which does. (maybe it's intelligent and that's one of its powers).
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

I break it down more simply when playing. If it gives off ANY sort of flame, or radiant heat and it's purely not a visual effect, then of course it would provide a bonus against cold effects. That bonus is up to the DM.

I've never run into this item, so I can't provide any further thoughts. I just use LOGIC where the game fails to do such.
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons