Dice rolling,, towers, boxes or trays?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Dice rolling,, towers, boxes or trays?

Post by garhkal »

So when you do your dice rolling, do you roll it openly (ie flat on the table), in a felt/leather tray? Do you use dice rolling towers? Just use a cardboard/wood box?
Do you roll under arm, over arm, or some other way?
Are you a leftie when rolling, or a righty?
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Re: Dice rolling,, towers, boxes or trays?

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Wow, I'm not widely traveled as far as other D&D message boards go, but this topics a first for me. If overarm means with palm facing toward the ceiling as the die are shook, that's how I do it. I usually roll right handed, which is my primary hand, but just for changes sake I will occasionally use my left.
_Matt_
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

The best way to describe it is
"over arm throwing of dice is what you most often see done by players of craps. Their palm's upward, fingers curled in, and the throw their hand out away from their body opening the hand up.

Where under arm is more the palm's facing down, and the wrist is flicked out, rather than the arm/hand itself being moved away.."
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

Damn! I didn't know there was so much detail when it came to dice tossing! :lol:

I always wanted a few of those cool dice towers they advertised in Dragon, but never did end up getting one. No, we just threw the dice. Basically just rolled them in our hands, then tossed them. Not sure there was any method involved, short of the usual player quirks (blowing on them, "wishing" for a high roll, etc). :lol:
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

I really don't even remember. I haven't rolled a physical dice in years. :lol:
Billy_Buttcheese
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Billy_Buttcheese »

A few years ago, I had asked for a dice tower for a holiday gift. My kids bought me this awesome one made of cherry, lined with soft green felt. The tower can be removed and lies down flat in the tray when not in use. I use to use a small wooden tray lined with some kind of cloth but sometimes the dice would jump out and bang into my DM screen. With my tower that never happens and because it bounces off three or four slats on the way down, there's no way to cheat with it. It truly does generate random numbers. My players use a big cardboard Frito Lay box that sits out in the middle of the table where everyone can see. It is removed and set aside when mapping is going on so everyone can see the player's map.
BryantTheSwordsman
Freeman
Freeman

Post by BryantTheSwordsman »

I just need to see the dice roll as a DM. I normally dont care how they are rolled. I did buy one of my players a dice tower though. Hes what our group have nicknamed as a "tosser" cause he just throws the dice. No rolling, no shaking in the hand, just throws over palm and it got pretty bad with him knocking minis, terrain, and drinks over. I also bought one for myself so he wouldnt feel singled out. Now my table loves dice towers and my gets passed around the table a lot.
"The Gerbil of Andor and Alera"