Animated D&D Maps

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Animated D&D Maps

Post by JadedDM »

Check it out.

Useless for me, as I don't run face-to-face games anymore, but still kind of cool.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Re: Animated D&D Maps

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

JadedDM wrote: but still kind of cool.
I'd actually say it is full on cool! You know I should have seen something this coming with what technology can do today, but I didn't so this new application for the game is exciting to me. The only downside I can see is that it might affect those groups who like to do extra long sessions, as the players and DM's eyes might get tired more quickly looking at the screen as opposed to a tabletop. Also, I don't think I would personally use the sound effects as I think they would be distracting.
Still I think it's exciting and am glad to be made aware of this. Thanks for sharing Jaded!
_Matt_
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Also, how much does something like this cost?
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

RPG Dinosaur wrote:Thanks for sharing Jaded!
No problem.
garhkal wrote:Also, how much does something like this cost?
It says in the article. They range between $2 and $5.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Thanks. DIdn't scroll down enough to see a cost..
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

Pretty cool, especially that last one with the river. To tell the truth though, I've been moving away from technology in my games. Using something like this, it borders on becoming a video game. For so many years (back in the days) all we had was some black and white art and our imagination. And that's what it's really all about. I've even gotten to the point where I hate Googling pictures of ships, crystal caverns, weird landscapes, etc. to show the players. I prefer giving a detailed description (sights, smells, sounds, etc). So much easier and so much better, especially when people are using their imagination. I think that the imagination aspect of the game is becoming lost to the allure of technology.