dispel magic and undead?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

dispel magic and undead?

Post by garhkal »

Ok, so we know lich's are created by magic, and so are most zombies/skeletons (via animate dead)..
So would a caster popping off a dispel magic have a chance to render those undead back into 'dust'?? (so to speak)?
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Re: dispel magic and undead?

Post by JadedDM »

I wouldn't think so. No more than your wounds would return if someone cast Dispel Magic on you after you were just healed by a cleric.
Lyrwik
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: AD&D 2nd Ed

Post by Lyrwik »

In one sense, it would make sense that it could, since it's an ongoing magic which is holding the creature together. However, I feel it wouldn't really be in the spirit of it to allow it to. Also, under the Animate Dead spell, it specifically says that "the magic cannot be dispelled". I think it would be reasonable to apply the same to other undead such as a lich.

In the case of a lich, I could potentially see an argument for at least subduing the lich's power temporarily through a dispel magic, in a similar way to how dispel magic can temporarily subdue the power of a magic item. However, I'd be cautious about allowing this, as it may result in a relatively low level spell being especially powerful against what should be a powerful undead. I'd also assume that a lich would be clever enough to figure out how to stop the magic holding them together from being dispelled, and warding against such.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Lyrwik wrote: Also, under the Animate Dead spell, it specifically says that "the magic cannot be dispelled".
For me that quote closes the case on the question of whether Dispel Magic can turn Undead back to dust.
I'm still a little opened minded about Dispel Magic possibly temporarily tampering down a Lich's power like Lyrwick mentioned, but I dunno... a DM allowing that could open a bigger can of worms than he/she might want. I can see a player then arguing about it how it should affect other magically created creatures as well.
_Matt_
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Lyrwik wrote:In one sense, it would make sense that it could, since it's an ongoing magic which is holding the creature together. However, I feel it wouldn't really be in the spirit of it to allow it to. Also, under the Animate Dead spell, it specifically says that "the magic cannot be dispelled". I think it would be reasonable to apply the same to other undead such as a lich.
It seems that's a change 2e made, cause in 1e they could get dispelled..
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

No, for the simple reason that it would emasculate liches. The lich is supposed to be a very high level opponent. Being able to bring him down with a simple 3rd level spell makes no sense.