Dispel magic - repeated attempts?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Dispel magic - repeated attempts?

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

A wizard or cleric attempts to dispel a magical effect using dispel magic. He fails. Does he get another chance? Can he cast another dispel magic in a second attempt (assuming he has the spell memorized twice)? I've always done it where once you fail, you fail. It means that caster is not able to overcome that particular magical effect. If he tries casting it a second time off a scroll or device, I'd allow it.

What say the rest of you?
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Dispel magic - repeated attempts?

Post by garhkal »

In the rare times i've had a player try, i've gone with one attempt and done for spell, one more if a different spell (like from a scroll or ring of spell storing) and one more if from a different item of magic. SO if say a priest pc had it memorized, had it on a scroll, and had it as a 'special power' from say his weapon, he could attempt to dispel stuff thrice..
DrakeNightwind
Peasant
Peasant
Favorite D&D Edition: 3.5

Post by DrakeNightwind »

I've always gone with one attempt with that spell itself, but I've also always been a DM thatthe ruling of if they have another spell that they can use to dispel the magical effects of another person, they get a chance at using it that way.

I have played with other DMs before that gave you a chance the next round if you have the spell memorized multiple times. In the long run it comes down to, like always, DM prerogative.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

DrakeNightwind wrote:
I've always gone with one attempt with that spell itself, but I've also always been a DM thatthe ruling of if they have another spell that they can use to dispel the magical effects of another person, they get a chance at using it that way.
So for example, if a dispel magic fails against an evil effect, they can still try dispel evil?
DrakeNightwind
Peasant
Peasant
Favorite D&D Edition: 3.5

Post by DrakeNightwind »

yes, if they have both of those spells, at least that's how some DMs that I know of would have done it.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

That makes sense. There's a few other spells where other options exist. Can't think of one off the top of my head (dead tired). Dispel evil and dismissal? Or dismissal and abjure? Similar effects, but different spells.