Implausible map?

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Implausible map?

Post by Stik »

I'm posting this because it's about a place near and dear to my heart, and also because I am a big proponent of making sure that the little details of a game world are plausible, so as to make the implausible things more believable.

A game designer has offered a critique of a map for being unrealistic.
And it's a map of New Orleans.

Read the article here.

My favorite is slide #6. That long bridge is the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, and it's nearly 24 miles long. I drove over it last year on my way from Abita Springs to New Orleans. It was really bizarre to drive for such a long time and not see any land at all in any direction.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Implausible map?

Post by JadedDM »

Steve really is the worst. :P
Billy_Buttcheese
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Implausible map?

Post by Billy_Buttcheese »

Wonder how he'd critique a map of the Florida Keys? There are a couple spans on that road that are pretty long, more than 4-5 miles (I think the stretch between Knight Key and Ohio Key is over 10 miles). Also don't forget that at one time there was a railroad line that followed that same path. I get his point about why the widest point of the lake, though.