PC's training NPC's??

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

PC's training NPC's??

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

I'm at work right now and should really wait until I get home and research, but wanted to get this post up: I don't remember anything in the 1E or 2E DM's Guides or Players Handbooks prohibiting PC's from training NPC's.
Keeping in mind that not everybody uses training in their campaigns I was wondering if any of you as DM's ever had an NPC approach one of your players characters asking if they would train him/her? Or if it happened to anybody as a player?
The reason this question came up to me was that I was thinking of a scenario where an Assassin could be hired to assassinate a character and might use that training reason as a cover to get close to their target. Or maybe the Assassin is sent to spy on the party, gauging their strength, classes, etc. and/or their motivation for coming into a new area.
_Matt_
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: PC's training NPC's??

Post by garhkal »

The closest i have had to npcs being trained BY the pcs was when they train up their henchmen themselves..
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

Almost never until recently. I have an NPC training one of my players to swim (NWP) and in return he's teaching him to fight in combat. It seemed to be an interesting way to gain a new NWP and still acquire a potential henchman in the future... so I let it slide ;)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Cole wrote: I have an NPC training one of my players to swim (NWP) and in return he's teaching him to fight in combat. It seemed to be an interesting way to gain a new NWP and still acquire a potential henchman in the future... so I let it slide ;)
That is an interesting trade of skills.
Maybe I don't need to mention this, but in the scenario with the Assassin I was thinking he would approach one of the parties Fighters, posing as a low level Fighter needing to get trained.
_Matt_
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Yeah, especially since the one learning to swim is a Dwarf :lol: but it makes sense for his background :)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

I've never seen a rule anywhere that prohibits PCs from training NPCs. I think it's a rich area to explore. Lots of potential there, if the PCs start hiring NPCs to tag along for training or to train on the side (off-adventure). It opens the door to enemies sending in assassins to kill a PC (as you mentioned) or to spy on them, thieves to rip the PCs off, etc. And also the chance the develop cool henchmen, etc.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

But then you need to figure out how much of levelling costs is actual training material, vs how much is the trainer's fee? If its an even 50/50 split lets say, then what would cost a PC to level up from say 4th to 5th (we will go with 800gp/level here) would then be 400gp/level, or 1,600 + what ever the pc wishes to tell the prospective NPC he needs to pay as a fee...
And then yu need to figure out does that GP the PC gets count for earned XP?
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

I wouldn't make it that complicated. Whatever the fees are for training, that would include instruction and material. 2E sets it at 100gp/level/week. I don't use gp=xp, but if I did, I'd say it counts as xp for the PC, because you can learn a lot through training and teaching, and it's GP that are legitimately earned.
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

I think it is important to bear in mind that in the old school of AD&D there was a strong focus on relieving the PCs of excess wealth. Paying for training was one way to do that. Making them pay for training was one way of doing that. So it may not be appropriate for a PC to be paid anything close to what they would pay out for the same service.

That being said, it's a great idea for PCs to train NPCs. There's potential there for some interesting plot points and adventure hooks, such as:
The PC becomes well-known for being a good teacher. which brings him more students, forcing him to choose between training and adventuring, or perhaps prompting him to bring his trainees on adventures with him (henchmen in the making)
An established "academy" for the PC's class comes to see him as a competitor. This can become a friendly rivalry or a bitter feud.
The PC trains a noble or rich student, bringing the PC into contact with movers and shakers in society he would not otherwise have met who appreciate and praise his efforts. Conversely, the student's family might object to the student's treatment ("He struck the young baron with a stick! Look at the bruises!")
"No matter where you go, there you are."
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Stik wrote: The PC becomes well-known for being a good teacher. which brings him more students, forcing him to choose between training and adventuring, or perhaps prompting him to bring his trainees on adventures with him (henchmen in the making)
I'd go so far as to say no, one couldn't train 'on the road'..
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Stik wrote:
An established "academy" for the PC's class comes to see him as a competitor. This can become a friendly rivalry or a bitter feud.
The PC trains a noble or rich student, bringing the PC into contact with movers and shakers in society he would not otherwise have met who appreciate and praise his efforts. Conversely, the student's family might object to the student's treatment ("He struck the young baron with a stick! Look at the bruises!")
I like your thinking! :twisted:
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Stik wrote: So it may not be appropriate for a PC to be paid anything close to what they would pay out for the same service.

I was thinking the PC should receive 45% of the normal fee. What do you think about that? I don't believe in GP=XP either, so my percentage might be a little higher than some of you who do use that system.
("He struck the young baron with a stick! Look at the bruises!")
Heh. Yeah, you and Halaster are right, there are a lot of different campaign arc possibilities with PC's training NPCs.
garhkal wrote:I'd go so far as to say no, one couldn't train 'on the road'..
I'd agree with that.
_Matt_