SOLD! - Moving to New D&D Country (Red Deer)

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: SOLD! - Moving to New D&D Country (Red Deer)

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

No, nothing like that. I'm betting it was all the strange lifting and pulling to put away all these Xmas decorations (I have 6 or 7 tubs of decorations, two trees, another dozen boxes, etc). At one point I remember bending over the back of the couch and twisting to reach a cord, but I didn't feel any pain at the time. Could have just popped out later, having been pushed slightly out of place at the time. But the problem is that if you turn over during the night, it pulls it into weird twisting motions which cause severe spasms. So then the other muscles lock up to stabilize the rib, using the other vertebrae as anchors. So eventually those powerful spasms pull the rest out of alignment. God that x-ray blew my mind, but confirmed what I suspected. The lower thoracic vertebrae looked like they were stacked by someone shaking with Parkinson's! :cry:

So now it's 20 minutes of heat, 20 minutes of ice, 20 minutes of heat, 20 minutes of ice, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat all night. And sky-high doses of curcumin and a few other natural supplements. And a lot of stretching work. I figure this will take me a good week or two to really get back to fully normal. Lots less pain today though.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

What is concentrated curcumin extract? Is that an alternative pain reliever?
_Matt_
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Curcumin is an extract of turmeric. It's mainly used as an anti-inflammatory, though it has other uses. It's far more effective than crap like Tylenol, and has no negative side effects or risks like Tylenol or even aspirin. There are a few companies (Jarrow, Life Extension, Terry Naturally) selling the most concentrated form, BCM-95 with 95% curcuminoids. I've seen (and experienced!) incredible results using it. You can also apply it topically (I dissolve it into DMSO), but it stains everything a neon yellow-orange, so you gotta be careful or you'll look like a pumpkin if you get it all over your skin. Healthy, but creepy looking. LOL! Here's a link to the one I get. If you click on the references, you'll see all the studies done...

http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-S ... o-Curcumin
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by garhkal »

Ohh.. Thanks for the head up.. never knew that about curcumin..
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Yeah, it's awesome stuff! The whole western drug model is broken. It's all about treating symptoms with drugs as opposed to curing the cause. And each drug has a negative side effect. I love the one for social anxiety disorder that I keep seeing commercials about. It can cause spontaneous loss of bowel control. I don't know about you, but if I had social anxiety disorder, I think I'd be a lot MORE anxious at if I had to worry about soiling my underwear in front of the entire office at the Christmas party due to some drug I'm taking to relieve the anxiety to begin with! 8O That one always has me laughing my ass off!
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:Curcumin is an extract of turmeric. It's mainly used as an anti-inflammatory, though it has other uses. It's far more effective than crap like Tylenol,
Thanks. I'll probably try curcumin later, but right now I'm on the hunt for a pain relieving alternative to Tylenol, aspirin etc. A buddy of mine told me that he used a supplement called Bromelain to avoid using opioids after hernia surgery. He says it's expensive and I'm just wanting something for moderate occassional knee and back pain, so I haven't tried it yet either.
Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:Yeah, it's awesome stuff! The whole western drug model is broken. It's all about treating symptoms with drugs as opposed to curing the cause. And each drug has a negative side effect.
Sad, but true.
_Matt_
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Bromelain is good too, and mixed with quercetin it's awesome to combat allergies. Of the two I'd probably use the curcumin over the bromelain. It just works better.

If the knee and back pain are due to low levels of synovial fluid, then perhaps the best supplement would be Synthovial 7. It's the best form of hyaluronic acid on the market, and will rebuild the synovial fluid needed to properly cushion the joints.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Thanks again. You seem to know a lot about supplements. I'll look into the Synthovial 7 also.
_Matt_
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

That's my job. Been studying Ayurvedic medicine and western clinical nutrition for 30 years now. 8O
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

LoL!

yeah this snow thing sucks... but the SUN in the sky is making it easy. No more rain and rain and rain for me.

All is good here, hope you boys are doing well yourselves. :)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

As always, send the snow my way! We got ONE single big snow a few weeks ago, and what happened? That's when I hurt my back so no snowmen got made. :evil:
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Hahahaha! My kids are loving it here. It hasn't snowed for at least a few weeks now, but it never melts either. The snow here is awesome though not like Van island where it weighed a friggin ton per scoop. Here it is like magic powder... just fluffy and weighs nothing. I love it!

I was having issues with no snow tires on our vehicles here, so I asked my new company for a car and they provided it. Nice AWD with snow tires :o

I'm gonna ask for more shit now :lol:
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

I prefer the heavy snow. It's almost impossible to do sculptures, snowmen, igloos, etc with that light fluffy stuff.
Kafen
Peasant
Peasant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Kafen »

Fun stuff, it is always a good thing to see new dnd groups forming. I hope it went well.

Joe
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy