Slow spell and # of attacks (1 or 2e,)

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Slow spell and # of attacks (1 or 2e,)

Post by garhkal »

Ok, so by the slow spell, it imposes a -2 penalty to one's initiative, -4 to hit and ac, AND halves your rate of attacks (well for 2e at least in 1e they just attack and move at 1/2 speed)..

So if you have a fighter who has an attack rate of 1/1 or 2/1 its easy to see how it goes as it shifts to 1/2 or 1/1,
BUT What about when they have 3/2?? Does it go to 2/3? SO attack R1, attack R2, NO attack R3?
What of when they are at 5/2?
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Slow spell and # of attacks (1 or 2e,)

Post by Cole »

BUT What about when they have 3/2?? Does it go to 2/3? SO attack R1, attack R2, NO attack R3?
What of when they are at 5/2?
3/2 normally boils down to 1 attack in Rnd1 and then the other 2 atks in Rnd2 (for those not familiar with the rules) and thus it turns into;

SLOWED it's 0 attacks the 1st Rnd and 1 attack the 2nd Rnd. After those subsequent rnds, it goes into the characters favor (rounded up) as the duration of the fight goes on into Rnd 3 he gets 1 more attack and then, Rnd 4 he gets 1 more attack.

Normally over 4 full rounds the PC would have accumulated 6 atks (which translates into a slowed version 3 atks) < half ;)

Over 4 full rounds It looks like so;

Rnd 1= 0 atks (because it's rounded down)
Rnd 2= 1 atk
Rnd 3 = 1 atk (because it's rounded up)
Rnd 4 = 1 atk

They end up with 3 atks over 4 rnds which is exactly half their normal atks (half of 6).

It needs to be done over double the rnds to make this possible and fair, but only because it needs to balance itself out to be HALF the attacks, which can only be done only over 4 rnds minimum.

Then rinse and repeat Gar is the fight goes on :D

5/2 works the same .... you do the math :coffee:
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

I've always hated the 3/2 rds. attack category precisely for things like this. Just a lot of calculating to do, and often hard to explain to players. Then I have to explain to them how, on rounds where they get 2 attacks, they get their first attack in order of initiative, and then - after everyone else goes - they get their second attack at the end of the round. And then there's the confusion when PCs join the battle at different points in time - "Wait...is it one attack for me this round, or two?". :roll:

I love it when they reach the point where they just get 2 attacks/rd.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:I've always hated the 3/2 rds. attack category precisely for things like this. Just a lot of calculating to do, and often hard to explain to players. Then I have to explain to them how, on rounds where they get 2 attacks, they get their first attack in order of initiative, and then - after everyone else goes - they get their second attack at the end of the round. And then there's the confusion when PCs join the battle at different points in time - "Wait...is it one attack for me this round, or two?". :roll:

I love it when they reach the point where they just get 2 attacks/rd.
Many of my players had that issue, but they've learned to understand and even one has corrected ME on it..
"Dave, Tostig came into the battle with the orog leader last round, while Sha'shu and Serngroot were already engaged with him. SO its THEIR two attack round, not mine"..
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Yeah I can see Hal's point however this has never been an issue for me. I'm usually the one keeping mental track of everything and as long as everyone tells me their # of atks and I know the order of events it goes pretty smooth and IF I F-up, my players are dam certain to correct me :lol:
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Genghisdon over on DF, asked a humdinger of a related question.

Both the Scimitar of speed, and shortsword of quickness, state "The wielder of this weapon is automatically going to strike first in the round'.. SO Does someone wielding one of those weapons STILL DO so while under the effect of a slow spell? OR does the magic of the slowing, negate the weapon?
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Yeh that is a good question; My immediate thoughts are to allow the first strike as usual, so I would simply reverse the order I posted to 1,1,1,0 ... keeps the balance and allows them the first attack. ;)
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

IF THEY still are getting to attack first in the round, how ar they being 'slowed'?
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Apparently Ghengisdon hasn't read the entry for those weapons...

Scimitar of Speed

"This is a magical weapon, usually of +2 bonus, that automatically grants its wielder the first attack in a melee round, even though some magical effect might have otherwise slowed his speed and reaction time."

- DMG, pg. 184

Emphasis mine. Slow has no effect on someone wielding a scimitar of speed. Case closed. It could logically be argued that the same holds for the short sword of quickness.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Yup .. I'd tend to agree with Hal. I'd assume both negate the slow spell according to that ruling.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Wow, so those 2 swords are even more potent then..
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Definitely underestimated weapons. Especially the scimitar of speed, which always allows its used to strike first and improves his attack category by one place, i.e. if the wielder normally gets 1 attack/rd, he now gets 3/2 rds, and if he normally gets 3/2 rds, he goes up to 2/rd. Plus the fact that he cannot be slowed. Plus the fact that it can be as high as a +5 weapon. 8O
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

A got a dozie to show you guys if you like this weapon. I'll have to revamp it a bit and post it to my new realm unique under magic items. I'll post it here to when I get time ;)
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Meh, my memory is going .. :lol: anyway, here is a nice Intelligent scimitar for those looking to implement one in their realm without much thought ;)

http://www.padnd.com/arkuth/weapon_fatechanter.php
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Wicked! :twisted: