Who uses 'gaming paper'?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Who uses 'gaming paper'?

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

I've always loved using miniatures and mats, as have most of my players, for several reasons.

First, it makes it a lot easier to remember who is where doing what. Most people are visually oriented, and actually seeing something allows them to picture it better and understand it better.

Second, it avoids misunderstandings, verbal blunders, etc - "I thought you said that door was FIFTEEN feet down the hall, not FIFTY."

Or..."The hallway before you stretches about 50' south. On the west wall are two doors, each 10' apart, starting 20' into the hallway. Another hallway appears to bisect the east wall of the north-south hallway roughly 30' down." Huh? :? Sometimes a map is almost a necessity. Too much detail to form and hold an accurate picture of.

Third, the miniatures just look cool and help the person visualize each member of the party, their enemies, etc.

Fourth, you can take a break to go out for food or whatever, or even retire for the night, and there is no confusion about who was where.

In my experience, the game has only ever been improved using mats and minis. I remember once, many years ago, I got one of those giant vinyl models of a huge dragon - the wings were about 2' across. The party was going up against a great wyrm red dragon. I had them all close their eyes when they came across it, put it down on the table, and said something like: "Now open your eyes and you'll see what the source of that smoke and fire was..."

Their eyes popped out of their heads, a few people jumped out of their chairs, and they were 50 times more excited than they would have been had I simply described it to them. So yeah, I like it. :wink:

Cole wrote:
I guess when it boils down to it, I don't really use anything for my players (Rarely anyway). I simply make maps, keep them behind my DM screen and describe everything... every room, every hallway, everything. So they never need a visual aid besides me. Isn't that the DM's job in the first place guys?
I agree 100% - it absolutely is! I describe sights, smells, sounds, etc. Usually in exquisite detail - the color of stain and type of wood that the wizard's curio cabinet is made of. The smell of the incense in the cleric's temple and the sounds the chanting priests are making. The smell of the loam and flowers and the fresh scent of water near the river while running through the forest. And so on.

But as in the examples I gave, sometimes the info is too complex. Someone (one of the players) will inevitably have to see the layout of the area visually - which means drawing a map, because the description is so complex. And if we're going to draw a map, why not make it look good? :wink:

I'd argue that mats and minis only help to serve as a tool for a DM, not a crutch. I'd take a DM simply describing everything as you do over a DM who simply draws stuff without describing anything. But when you have a DM who describes things well and draws stuff to accompany or compliment those descriptions...oh yeah! :D
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Yup... that's why I finally caved and bought the vinyl mat. I tend to do complex dungeons and some of my newer players just wanted that visual layout.

In the past ...the good ol days one of the players SHOULD be drawing it out as they go... but I digress it's become the DMS job to do that now to. It's an aid I guess... I'll never say that about minis though. It's not a board game.. it's your imagination. Minis outright kill that IMO.
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by garhkal »

Cole wrote:Yup... that's why I finally caved and bought the vinyl mat. I tend to do complex dungeons and some of my newer players just wanted that visual layout.

In the past ...the good ol days one of the players SHOULD be drawing it out as they go... but I digress it's become the DMS job to do that now to. It's an aid I guess... I'll never say that about minis though. It's not a board game.. it's your imagination. Minis outright kill that IMO.
I wil draw the battle mat out for them, but if they are not drawing their own copy, then they can get lost.. AND ITS NOT ON ME..
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Amen to that brotha!

I always give them a hint at the beginning of the game "best get a dedicated mapper" ... if they don't ... to hell with em. They can just guess and pay the consequences ;)
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Maybe i need to start throwing dungeons at my group, and see if anyone "IC" does map (or even does it out of character)..
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

I'm doing a dungeon type area under the city my PC's are in now... fortunately one of them was smart enough to map it as they went... at least the parts they were scared in :lol:
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Well, I drove out to the closest gaming store that carried Gaming Paper...

http://gamingpaper.com/

They didn't have the tubes/rolls, so I got the individual 8.5" x 11" page pack of 100 sheets. They suck. Good luck lining them up! This mess took me almost an hour, and it only got worse as the map got larger...

The lines are not uniformly sized to the page, so eventually you have to overlap them and even then it becomes almost impossible to line them up both north-south and east-west. It gets worse the more you add, because the tolerances on these things suck! It's more work than it's worth. The time it took me to simply tape up sheets the size of half a battle mat took longer than it would to just draw the damned thing on a battle mat in the first place! I hope the tube/rolls are better. But the sheets are total crap.

Worse part, I had to drive a tad over 50 miles round trip to pick some up, because I didn't want to wait for them to ship (online the company was out of stock on rolls as well) and I needed some for a game tonight. Now I have to take them back for a refund. 100 miles of driving. For this crap. I'm calling the company tomorrow. They better have some damned good customer service skills, that's all I have to say! :evil:
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Couldn't you just get a good pair of scissors and cut right down the lines to make em uniform? :)
Billy_Buttcheese
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Billy_Buttcheese »

Years ago, I found a pair of laminated hard boards that have 1" squares and are foldable. Dry erase markers work perfectly and even if they get kind of dry, a little Windex cleans them right up. They're about 2'x1' when folded and 2'x 2' when opened and they work perfectly with 25mm figures. Typically I only use them during combat situations. I draw the room dimensions and place any possible objects where they would be and tell players to put their figures where they want them if they have time to disperse. This eliminates (or mostly so) any arguments from whiny players about where their PCs were when the fireball goes off (or whatever). "NO! I said I was behind the marble column!!" "Um, that's not where you placed your mini." After combat concludes, I just erase the board and take it off the table until it's needed again. I have some huge sheets of 1/4" graph paper (like 3'x4') but they're so big, it's difficult to keep them in good condition. Rolling them up works but then you have to place objects on the corners of them to keep them from trying to roll up again. Very inconvenient. I've never seen a need for those sheets like Hal posted. Which is weird because I usually snap up any/all of these types of accessories.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Cole wrote:
Couldn't you just get a good pair of scissors and cut right down the lines to make em uniform?
Ummm...no. :wink:

But seriously, no. I shouldn't have to put that much work into a map. I'd have to cut each side of each page precisely, which is a ton of work. Not was I was paying for.

They claim:

"Easy to use...line up side-by-side to make larger rooms..."

Well sure, if you're mapping on Cthulhu's plane of existence it might work. :evil:

There's just no reason for such slop work on such an expensive product.

Billy_Buttcheese wrote:
I draw the room dimensions and place any possible objects where they would be and tell players to put their figures where they want them if they have time to disperse. This eliminates (or mostly so) any arguments from whiny players about where their PCs were when the fireball goes off (or whatever). "NO! I said I was behind the marble column!!" "Um, that's not where you placed your mini."
Same here. It's just a lot clearer and a lot more fun that way.

But I hate erasing and re-drawing. It's so time consuming. I really needed something where I could make it permanent and add to it as we go along. This Gaming Paper really sucked. I'm sure the rolls would be fine, but the individual pages? As poorly executed as the Monstrous Compendium sets of the 90s. Actually, worse.
Meph
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st & 2nd Edition

Post by Meph »

I bought 2 boxes of these last year thinking I could draw out my map ahead and add tiles as I went. They do work exactly as stated and dry erase nicely but I just didn't like them. Something about them turned me off so I still use my chessex mat or lay out terrain. I opened a single box and used them once and now both boxes sit on the shelf.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016H ... UTF8&psc=1
Billy_Buttcheese
Peddler
Peddler

Meph wrote:I bought 2 boxes of these last year thinking I could draw out my map ahead and add tiles as I went. They do work exactly as stated and dry erase nicely but I just didn't like them. Something about them turned me off so I still use my chessex mat or lay out terrain. I opened a single box and used them once and now both boxes sit on the shelf.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016H ... UTF8&psc=1
So, useless and pricey. Thanks for the info, I won't be spending any money on these.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Neither will i. Hell i saw one game store offering them at 20$ each.. But even then a chessex mat is much more portable.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Well color me shocked! Good customer service for a change! I got an email the following day (after I emailed Gaming Paper) and they offered to send me not one, but FOUR free rolls of mapping paper to make up for the inconvenience! 8O :) :thumbs: I think the rolls are going to work fine. I can't imagine they won't.

This is in stark contrast to the idiot I had to deal with at Verizon today. I had to call about problems with the signal. I told him I was in Chicago. He asked me (I sh*t you not!) - "Could there be any mountain ranges blocking your signal?". 8O :roll:

I asked him - "Do you live in the United States?"

He said yes.

I asked him if he graduated grade school.

He said yes.

I told him in as nasty a manner as possible (the cuss filters would delete it all out if I posted here) just what a stupid idiot he was and hung up on him.

I mean...really? A mountain range? In Chicago? Isn't that like 3rd grade geography?

Had a similar idiot once when I ordered some vitamins from California. The woman asked me if Chicago was on the west cost. I said..."Ummm. No."
She then asked - "East coast?".
I said - "You're getting warmer honey. Are you American? Do you live here?"
She said yes, but that she "Wasn't very good with geology".

Geology. :roll:

I said to her: "Can you just read my shipping address back to me? I want to make sure it's going to actually get delivered."

:roll:
Billy_Buttcheese
Peddler
Peddler

LOLOL That's funny because it's true....More's the pity