Who uses 'gaming paper'?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Who uses 'gaming paper'?

Post by garhkal »

Going through some sites to see what, besides the standard chessex map-pack one can use, i often see mentions of Gaming paper.

Who here's used these products instead of standard chessex maps, or other forms (like dungeon tiles/dragon forge)?
Are they worth the cost (a standard roll runs around 4 bucks)? Good at making hand outs??
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Who uses 'gaming paper'?

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

Never used it. Seems some of it is expensive (4 8.5" x 11" papers for $10 8O ) while some stuff is very cheap ($5 for 30 sq. ft. of isometric paper). I'd love to try that isometric paper!
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:Never used it. Seems some of it is expensive (4 8.5" x 11" papers for $10 8O ) while some stuff is very cheap ($5 for 30 sq. ft. of isometric paper). I'd love to try that isometric paper!
Which is why i was asking. I was eyeballing those 30ft sheets, to use to make the larger maps of the one's i have created.. That way i don't need to draw, wipe and re-draw on my chessex map as they go through some of those dungeons..
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Well first I had to look up Chessex map and I learned today that my vinyl roll out mat is called "Chessex" ... so thanks for that Gar. :)

I just started using Chessex maps last year, for me, these are simply awesome! I'm very old school, so bringing that onto my table was a bit of a shocker for my players, but I draw as we go, or unveil areas as we play. It's been wonderful short of me not knowing erasable markers are not really erasable (use water based guys) :lol:

So, no, I've never used gaming paper and I doubt I ever will. Maybe I'm not quite understanding why it's needed at all. I still used standard pack of graph paper for the most part or make my maps digitally with various software.

:)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

Sizing. You can make out your maps on softwar but normally when printed, the squares are NOT going to be 1 inch size.. Generally they are going to be a lot smaller. So whiel you might have your maps all done and handy for YOUR viewing, when it comes time to draw them out, you would need a battlemat or map paper to make them to where the size is larger so things are at least to scale with most figures.

While i also have a chessex like map (34x26 iirc), that's not really big enough for some of my larger maps i have already got created, and i would rather have it already drawn out, so can just whip them out when needed..
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

All my maps are digital. I just use MS Paint. I haven't had any of my notes, maps or anything on actual paper in years now.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

I MUST get this. What irritates me to no end is when the players go off the Chessex Battlemap and I have to erase and redraw, then they have to go back to the old area - it's a lot of redundancy! So with this, I can simply draw a permanent map, then if they want to come back to that area, just pull it out.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

And for those of us who don't have massive tables or battle mats, this would enable us to draw out LARGE dungeon complexes, and just have the 'sheet' up for that area they are in!
Lyrwik
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: AD&D 2nd Ed

Post by Lyrwik »

I have a battle map which I made on A2 size paper, with squares printed and laminated so that I can draw on it. It works pretty well (and was cheaper than the chessex battle maps). However, something I've seen used to good effect is a roll of contact (eg. https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/off ... ar-sm22450), as it also had 1" squares on it (intended to make it easier to line up your book when applying the contact. It looks to be easier to clean than my laminated map too.

I'm currently working on making a bunch of standard room shapes and sizes, which I'll print out and apply contact to. The idea being that then I'll be able draw on the relevant details before the game, and lay down each room as I go. I'll let you all know how it goes.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

That looks decent.. Might have to see if any local store has it.
Marcus
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Marcus »

I have used a few tools, and I have only started to use them in the past few years. In the old days it was whatever drawing I thought would be helpful to the characters. Most were pretty bare bones.

I was given a chessex megamat (the 3'x4' mat you can clean off and reuse) by an aquantence. It is an old one, so it is not reversible.

I was given 12' of 3' wide dungeon paper as a part of the door prizes for players during Iron GM competition at Gen Con 2 years ago. It has been handy but you really need to pick your spots. Essentially you can use a mega mat 3 times ever.

I was also given 4 sections of dungeon tiles (I don't remember the brand) as player swag at last year's Iron GM competition and I have used the tiles a lot. They are reversible and I sometimes use only 2 sections instead of all 4 (which would be about 2'x2'). As a minimalist most of my DMing career, it gives enough visual effect that my PCs are happy but doesn't force me to work very hard. Frankly, a DM who uses strict distance/movement rules as well as a lot of the combat features of post-2nd Ed systems like flanking, threatened squares, reach, etc, the larger chessex megamat (related to the battlemat) is the best item on the market. Most people have no use or space for the 9'x5' mondomat.
"These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days."
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

I guess when it boils down to it, I don't really use anything for my players (Rarely anyway). I simply make maps, keep them behind my DM screen and describe everything... every room, every hallway, everything. So they never need a visual aid besides me. Isn't that the DM's job in the first place guys?

Maybe I'm just old... but my players always tell me they prefer it that way and IF I ever put a miniature on the table they'd all die of a heart attack.

IMO a vinyl mat should only be used to show large scale dungeon layouts where the players want to have a permanent reminder in front of them of where to run! :lol:
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

I use the mats / minis cause is it often helps get rid of arguments like "I wasn't in radius of his spell, i was too far away fighting THAT orc, not this one.." and the like..
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Yeah i have run into that issue a few times obviously .. but I do straight to the I'M the DM and thus ... YOU WERE in the radius as I clearly explained to you.

I even asked my players last year, both groups and neither of them wanted to see any minis. They all professed it takes away from the game, more than it offers. I agreed and dumped them all back into the bin o' useless items :lol:
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post by garhkal »

From all the groups i game with, i'd say its a 65/35 split in those who Want to use minis/maps, and those who don't..