Ultimate Top Five Deserted Island Poll

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Ultimate Top Five Deserted Island Poll

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

Deserted Island Top Five Choices

I revised this from the original to include food choices and update some of my picks, which have changed over time. I'll also post some explanatory notes where needed. Here we go:

Ok guys, here's something with a lot more choices and a lot less restrictive. Please play by the rules, huh? The rules have been designed to make it both fun and challenging at the same time. I don't want to see any "I couldn't restrict myself to just 5 items" garbage. :roll: Work at it! :wink:

Come on, this is fun because we're picking things that have nothing to do with D&D as well as D&D stuff, so we should see some interesting picks from people here.

Here's the premise. The world goes to hell in a hand-basket like in the Night of the Living Dead trilogy. You get to escape to an isolated, deserted island somewhere, or some other hidden, inaccessible place.

You are going to spend the rest of your life there, and you can assume you have your immediate family and/or a handful of friends there with you. In any case, a reasonably sized group of people probably not to exceed 12 members.

You get to pick five items from each category below. I will list the specifics for each one under their respective categories, but they're all going to give you a wide variety to choose from. The only difficult part may be narrowing it down to just 5 choices. But that's what makes it challenging.

Here we go...

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Games

You get to pick five published paper products from OD&D, BD&D, AD&D, or other games by TSR (Gamma World, Star Frontiers, etc). You cannot pick the AD&D Core Rules 2.0 on CD or anything like that. Each item must be a paper, published item. It can also include Judge's Guild material. I changed this category from the original because to play AD&D you really must pick the PHB, DMG, and MM or MCs, as a base. That takes up 3 of the 5 choices automatically. So I changed this to 5 of any other AD&D items. You can pick modules, box sets, anything. But they must be 5 distinct items. Assume you have access to pencils, character sheets, and dice, along with the DMG, PHB, and MM or MMI & MMII.

Board Games

Let's face it, sometimes we need a break from D&D. So, any 5 board games or other non-video games will be allowed. Video games will have their own choices in the arcade section. To qualify for this, it must be a game of some sort, preferably with a board. Checkers, Monopoly, Chess, Don't Break the Ice, Candyland, Ouija boards, etc. are all workable type choices. A game is different than a toy in that a game has rules, a toy does not.

Video Games

Any 5 video or computer game that exists. It'd be nice to indicate whether the one you pick is an arcade game (free standing like in an arcade or Atari/Intellivision style home version, doesn't matter) or a computer video game. Assume you have something to play it on.

Music

You get to pick any 5 albums. You cannot pick a "Best of..." album or a "Greatest hits" album. Double sets like Pink Floyd's The Wall count as one pick even though they have 2 CDs to cover it all. However, double sets or anthologies like the Beatle's Blue Album 1967-1970 or Beatles Anthology cannot be chosen. Soundtracks for movies count as 1 pick. Come to think of it, let us know if you want it on CD, vinyl, tape, or 8-track. Assume any format will last forever.

Books

Any 5 books ever published, except D&D game material from any version or edition. Again, compilations don't count. So you could not pick a book like "Stephen King's 10 Best Stories Ever", but you could pick a book like the ones that collect the various short stories by HP Lovecraft. I think it's pretty clear what we're shooting for with these rules by now.

Toys

Any individually sold toy counts. No "I want the entire Star Wars collection" ideas. Toys are any play thing not considered a game. Stuff like hula hoop or superball can count as a toy instead of a game. Games have rules, toys do not.

DVD Movies

Same thing here. A double set like Count Yorga/Return of Count Yorga which has 2 movies on one disc counts as two movies. Those 10 packs of horror movies or 20 kung fu movies in a box cannot be counted unless they contain no more than 5 movies, and that counts as your 5 picks. No compilations or stuff like that. The Star Wars trilogy counts as 3 movies. Each individual movie counts as one pick. Assume that any movie you want to have on DVD is out on DVD whether it's ever actually been released on DVD or not. If you choose a tv show on DVD, and that tv show comes in seasons, each season counts as 1 pick.

Comic Books

Any defined story line counts as one pick. For example, you could pick an ongoing, continuous story line that ran across 6 issues of Spiderman, but you could not pick Spiderman #1 - 50. No fair picking "The entire original run of the Justice League of America". If a comic title lasted less than 25 issues, you can choose it as one pick. No "best of" stories or collections. Stuff like the Frank Miller Daredevil graphic novel reprints count as one each unless they contain more than 25 reprints where each was its own individual issue. This one gives you a lot of leeway.

Foods

Any individual recipe can count as one choice, for example beef fried rice or chicken cacciatore. Likewise, any individual food can count as one choice, for example, bananas or BBQ potato chips. Assume no matter what you choose -whether actually healthy food or actually junk food, your choices will keep you healthy and provide all nutrients needed.

Make sure you use each category listed here in order.

Choose wisely, because this stuff is going to have to last you a lifetime!

Ok, here's my picks.

Dungeons and Dragons Games

1. Deities & Demigods (1E)
2. City of Skulls (Greyhawk, 2E)
3. FR10 Old Empires (FR, 1E)
4. Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (1E Gray Box)
5. Ruins of Undermountain

Board Games

1. Monopoly
2. Green Ghost
3. Ka-Bala
4. Life
5. Aggravation

Video Games

1. Space Invaders (free standing arcade game)
2. Tempest (free standing arcade game)
3. Asteroids (free standing arcade game)
4. Myst (computer game)
5. Dungeons and Dragons (Atari 70's game)

Music (On vinyl albums)

1. Revolver - The Beatles
2. Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack - Various artists
3. Rio – Duran Duran
4. Purple Rain - Prince
5. Middle of Nowhere - Hanson

Books

1. Chariots of the Gods – Erich Von Daniken
2. Fingerprints of the Gods – Graham Hancock
3. Ninja, Invisible Assassins – Andrew Adams
4. Journey to Ixtlan – Carlos Castaneda
5. Illusions – Richard Bach

Toys

1. Major Matt Mason Lunar Command Base
2. Major Matt Mason Firebolt Space Cannon Super Action Set
3. Major Matt Mason Space Discovery Set
4. Colorforms Aliens - Alpha 7
5. Kooky Spooky Brother Mortimer Ghost

DVD Movies

1. Lemora, A Child's Tale of the Supernatural
2. Phantasm
3. The Dark
4. The Abominable Dr. Phibes
5. Batman (1966)

Comic Books

1. Avengers/Defenders Crossover (Avengers#115-118, Defenders#7-11): Everyone knows this is my favorite single comic story of all time.

2. Thor #212-216 (Sssthgar/Xorr story arc): The best Thor story ever, and my second favorite comic story!

3. Kobra #1-8: Kobra was my second favorite DC comic book after New Gods. The last issue (#8) was cancelled but printed in DC's Five Star Superhero Spectacular. It was 1 enclosed storyline, so it counts.

4. New Gods #1-19, 1st Issue Special #13, Adventure Comics #459,460: Originally I excluded the "Return" series and limited it to the original 11 issues, but it was technically the same title, and the same continuing story. So I say it should count. It's one total story, spread across several years and titles.

5. Avengers #160-171 (Ultron arc): The ultimate Ultron story!

Foods

1. Turkey with Mole sauce (Mexican dish)
2. Bharta (Indian dish)
3. Kallari 71% Dark Chocolate
4. Giordano’s Deep Dish Pizza
5. White Castle (Cheeseburgers/fries)

Good luck to whoever goes next! It's hard! :twisted:
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Re: Ultimate Top Five Deserted Island Poll

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

I was all set to write up my post for your first "If you could only pick..." and now I see you've come up with this! Great! I love the expanded choices and more categories.
Halaster, I have to ask. Is it okay if I do multiple posts with a few categories at a time?
_Matt_
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Sure! Less time consuming! :)
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:Deserted Island Top Five Choices
Video Games

1. Space Invaders (free standing arcade game)
2. Tempest (free standing arcade game)
3. Asteroids (free standing arcade game)
4. Myst (computer game)
5. Dungeons and Dragons (Atari 70's game)
Wow, the Space Invaders and Asteriod arcade video game picks of yours are the true meaning of 'Old School', and I don't mean any disrespect by that. I dug Asteroids, but found it too difficult. Man, what a cutting edge game Tempest was, the colors were just dazzling. I really liked it, but as with Asteroids found it too difficult. Youthful me could only sporadically get the timing down to shoot those flipper things that stayed at the edge of the platform you were on if and 'flipped' after you, if you didn't shoot them before they got there. Also, the spikes took too many of my lives, despite a concerted attempt to keep at least one lane clear.
Despite having an Atari system I never got the AD&D game. Although it has been quite awhile and I don't remember much detail, I have seen a play through on YouTube. I seem to remember that the player shoots everything with arrows. It seemed like one of the better Atari games, one of the more extensive ones with a lot to do.

All right, now I'M going to get started!
Halaster, I don't know if you did this, but my numbering doesn't reflect any particular ranking.

Video Games
1. WWF WrestleFest- Arcade
2. Spy Hunter- Arcade
3. Xevious- Arcade
4. Myst
5. Hero's of Might and Magic: Quest for the Dragon Bone Staff- PlayStation 2

Music
1. Rush- Snakes & Arrows Live double CD
2. Rush- Clockwork Angels
3. Sky Cries Mary- Here and Now Live 2005 double CD
4. Armin Van Buuren- Universal Religion Chapter 7
5. Swans- Soundtracks for the Blind double CD
_Matt_
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

RPG Dinosaur wrote:
Wow, the Space Invaders and Asteriod arcade video game picks of yours are the true meaning of 'Old School', and I don't mean any disrespect by that.
I'd never take the words "Old School" as anything other than a compliment, trust me! :wink:
Man, what a cutting edge game Tempest was, the colors were just dazzling. I really liked it, but as with Asteroids found it too difficult.
You know what's weird? I was never that huge into video games, even then. I played them often, but while other kids spent $10 on quarters to play Asteroids, I spent those $10 on comic books or Micronauts or whatever. Still,I played pretty regularly. I was ok/good, but not great. I played plenty of different games (Space Invaders, Pac Man, Galaga, Missile Command, etc.) and got a few high scores now and then until one of the regulars who played the same game several hours a day came along. But with Tempest, it was like the game was made for me. People called me the Pinball Wizard because I could play that game virtually blindfolded and get the highest scores. I was never beaten, and the game always had my name as a high score. I have no explanation for it. It was like a Zen thing.
Despite having an Atari system I never got the AD&D game. Although it has been quite awhile and I don't remember much detail, I have seen a play through on YouTube. I seem to remember that the player shoots everything with arrows. It seemed like one of the better Atari games, one of the more extensive ones with a lot to do.
Funny story with Atari. The local Burger King was raffling off a free Atari set as a promotion when it was first released. So my younger brother and I decided to "win" it. We asked our mother if she would buy games for it if we won (we showed her the flier from the Burger King location). She said "Yes, but don't get your hopes up", and I know she said that simply because, after all, who thought we would actually win? Well, devious ME, that's who! :twisted: I got my brother to go with and we each put in (by stealth) several entries. Every shift change we would go drop more entries off, shift after shift, day after day. By the time of the drawing we probably had a 90% chance of winning. We must have put in several hundred entries. 8O And of course, the day of the drawing my mother got a call saying we won. :lol: Of course, her first words were "Ok, what trick did you pull?". Parents were psychic back then. Our response? "Well, we both put in entries." Not a lie. We literally both put in entries. :twisted: And so we got plenty of good games. The AD&D one was probably my favorite.
Halaster, I don't know if you did this, but my numbering doesn't reflect any particular ranking.
Either way is fine. I couldn't possible rank my choices without my head exploding! :lol:

Glad to see someone else here likes Myst! And who can forget Spy Hunter? And Rush? God, this is a hard exercise!
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Books
1. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
2. Infinite Worlds by Vincent Di Fate
3. Conan by Robert E. Howard
4. The Great Brain Reforms by John D. Fitzgerald
5. Everything I Need to Know I Learned in the Twilight Zone by Mark Dawidziak

Toys
1. AWA Wrestling Battle Royal Ring Playset
2. Lazertag equipment for four(?) people
3. Palm sized medium hard rubber ball
4. Whammo! Full size Glow-in-the-Dark Frisbee
5. Regulation NFL football
I took the football keeping in mind that eleven other people are coming with me to the island. My list for toys would be different if I was by myself. It might come as a surprise, but even if I was going to the island by myself, the Frisbee would still come with me. I would design my own disc golf course and use the Frisbee instead, something I've done in real life. I mean, I haven't designed my own disc golf course, but back when the sport was in it's infancy my brother and I used Frisbees instead of regulation discs and I thought they worked fine. Regulation discs almost made the list.
The original Lazertag included guns and sensor equipment for two people so I hope grabbing two packs isn't out of the question.
Again, keeping in mind the desert island scenario, I almost put a boogie board on my list of toys. I left it off when I figured that I could probably make my own.
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:Deserted Island Top Five Choices

Comic Books

1. Avengers/Defenders Crossover (Avengers#115-118, Defenders#7-11): Everyone knows this is my favorite single comic story of all time.

2. Thor #212-216 (Sssthgar/Xorr story arc): The best Thor story ever, and my second favorite comic story!

3. Kobra #1-8: Kobra was my second favorite DC comic book after New Gods. The last issue (#8) was cancelled but printed in DC's Five Star Superhero Spectacular. It was 1 enclosed storyline, so it counts.

4. New Gods #1-19, 1st Issue Special #13, Adventure Comics #459,460: Originally I excluded the "Return" series and limited it to the original 11 issues, but it was technically the same title, and the same continuing story. So I say it should count. It's one total story, spread across several years and titles.

5. Avengers #160-171 (Ultron arc): The ultimate Ultron story!
My brother and I didn't get into the Defenders (he did most of the comic buying in the seventies when we were still living at home) as much as we did the Avengers. However, he did buy Defenders #100 and that is still to this day one of the trippiest comics I've ever read, him too. We still talk about it. If you aren't familiar with it, check it out and see if you agree with me. I've only read one issue, the first one, of the Avengers/Defenders crossover. It was actually just a couple of years ago, we missed out on the whole arc originally. The issue was good IMO and the arc seems intriguing.
You know I've been a comics fan all my life, there were times I was hardcore and buying a lot, there were times I wasn't buying anything new and merely re-reading what I already had and there are times like now when I'm more of a casual fan and just buying a little, but I've never heard of Kobra. I'm going to look it up after I get done here tonight or tomorrow.
I am also shockingly in the dark about the New Gods, other that I know it has been rebooted a couple of times. I picked up an issue or two of the second reboot in the early nineties IIRC, that was over twenty-five years ago so I can't remember why I didn't stick with the title.

Movies
1. Roger Waters: the Wall live in Berlin 1990 concert documentary
2. Rush- 'R30' concert documentary
3. 'Taxi' TV show season 4
4. 'The Thing' 2011 version
5. 'The Illusionist'

Comics
1. Batman- 'A Lonely Place for Dying' arc (Batman #440, The New Titans #60, BM #441, TNT #61, BM #442)
2. Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Jensen, Vol. 2 Aw, yeah... Bullseye, Elecktra, the KIngpin, the Hand!
3. The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers #0-11, series run
4. The Uncanny X-Men- 'Dark Phoenix Saga' arc, #'129-138
5. Marvel Super Hero's Secret Wars #1-12 (1984)
_Matt_
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

RPG Dinosaur wrote:
My brother and I didn't get into the Defenders (he did most of the comic buying in the seventies when we were still living at home) as much as we did the Avengers. However, he did buy Defenders #100 and that is still to this day one of the trippiest comics I've ever read, him too. We still talk about it. If you aren't familiar with it, check it out and see if you agree with me.
I can't remember that issue. I collected EVERYTHING when it came to comics in the 60's and 70's...Marvel, DC, Charlton, Dell, Archie, Gold Key, etc. I stopped regularly reading Defenders around issue #65 or so, and my memory of the later issues is spotty.
I've only read one issue, the first one, of the Avengers/Defenders crossover. It was actually just a couple of years ago, we missed out on the whole arc originally. The issue was good IMO and the arc seems intriguing.
Greatest story ever told in comic form! :D God I loved it! They have it reprinted in a graphic novel but the slick paper looks like crap. I think it's also been reprinted on regular paper. Gotta pick it up though. This was Marvel's first real major crossover, with Loki and Dormammu as villains. It was a blast!
You know I've been a comics fan all my life, there were times I was hardcore and buying a lot, there were times I wasn't buying anything new and merely re-reading what I already had and there are times like now when I'm more of a casual fan and just buying a little, but I've never heard of Kobra. I'm going to look it up after I get done here tonight or tomorrow.
Kobra was an awesome DC short-lived comic! The first issue was Kirby, then the artists changed every issue. The best was Kobra #3 - Keith Giffen pencils with inks by Giordano and Austin. Just fantastic artwork! Some of the best ever. I'm not going to give away any spoilers, but it was a really great story. The final story actually takes place in DC Special Series #1 (5 Star Superhero Spectacular). Kobra meets and battles Batman! If DC handled its characters as well as Marvel did, Kobra would be their Dr. Doom.
I am also shockingly in the dark about the New Gods, other that I know it has been rebooted a couple of times. I picked up an issue or two of the second reboot in the early nineties IIRC, that was over twenty-five years ago so I can't remember why I didn't stick with the title.
The reboots sucked. The original, all by Kirby, was a masterpiece! Some of his finest work. So creative! Then the series ended with issue #11. It was revived in 1st Issue Special #13 (1st Issue Special was sort of a trial comic, to experiment with how different characters would work if given their own title) where it picked up shortly after the events of New Gods #11, then the series was revived starting with New Gods #12. Short but interesting comics trivia note...though the cover title reads "Return of the New Gods", the actual title in the indicia reads just "New Gods". The reason for this is that due to postal regulations, it cost more to change (and ship) a new title than it did to revive an already-registered title. The series lasted until New Gods # 19. The story then continued in two issues of Adventure Comics #459/#460. That ended the original storyline. The revival part was not Kirby art, but they did settle on Don Newton, whose style fit the series and was awesome in his own right. So to get the entire "original" series as I see it, you'd need to pick up:

New Gods #1-11
1st Issue Special #13
(Return of the...) New Gods #12-19
Adventure Comics #459 & #460
'The Thing' 2011 version
Wait a minute! They made a 2011 remake? I don't remember that. I remember the original and the 80's Carpenter remake. I never saw any 2011 version though. How was it?
2. Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Jensen, Vol. 2 Aw, yeah... Bullseye, Elecktra, the KIngpin, the Hand!
4. The Uncanny X-Men- 'Dark Phoenix Saga' arc, #'129-138
Oh man, having to leave these off my list was like having to sacrifice one of my eyeballs! Two of the finest comics runs of all time!
5. Marvel Super Hero's Secret Wars #1-12 (1984)
The mere mention of Secret Wars makes me want to hunt down Jim Shooter and castrate him, then set him on a fire atop a pyre made of every issue of Secret Wars ever printed. :twisted: :lol: I know a lot of people loved that series, but man I hated it!
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:RPG Dinosaur wrote:
I've only read one issue, the first one, of the Avengers/Defenders crossover. It was actually just a couple of years ago, we missed out on the whole arc originally. The issue was good IMO and the arc seems intriguing.
This was Marvel's first real major crossover, with Loki and Dormammu as villains.
I did not know that.
'The Thing' 2011 version
Wait a minute! They made a 2011 remake? I don't remember that. I remember the original and the 80's Carpenter remake. I never saw any 2011 version though. How was it?
It was, and is, awesome in my opinion. I saw it on the big screen and walked out of the theater jacked, knowing that it was my new all time favorite horror film. I am loathe to admit this because of being a big John Carpenter fan, but I actually haven't seen the '82 Carpenter remake. I did see the original after watching this latest 2011 version. I enjoyed and admired the original film, it provided the strong bones that the other two films were able to expand upon. Hope to one day see the 2011 version again on the big screen, but I'm not holding my breath. Many paid critic reviews for this 2011 version weren't very good (and they were off base and unfair IMO) so it hasn't supplanted the '82 version in terms of wide awareness and affection.
The mere mention of Secret Wars makes me want to hunt down Jim Shooter and castrate him, then set him on a fire atop a pyre made of every issue of Secret Wars ever printed. :twisted: :lol: I know a lot of people loved that series, but man I hated it!
8O 8O

Board Games
1. Escape from New York
2. Oh No....Zombies!
3. Life
4. Battlelore
5. Ticket to Ride (U.S. version)

Dungeons and Dragons
1. Boot Hill game, second edition boxed set
2. Gamma World, second edition boxed set If I have to pick a certain amount of things to last me the rest of my life, I'm taking a wide selection. So these other TSR games make the list.
3. Wilderness Survival Guide
4. B1 Secret of Bone Hill module I just really like this module for a couple different reasons. I think it is an excellent module for starting off a beginning level party, I wish it got more credit for that. Second, the large amount of terrain and separate 'mini-adventures' detailed in the module (besides Bone Hill itself) would allow me to start playing with my 'island survivor' group immediately after arriving. No time lost while some home brew is created. If the players liked the setting well enough, maybe we would just stick with it and I could add in higher level challenges in the areas outside Restenford after, well, I guess IF is the better word, the party survived the Bone Hill ruins.
5. I3-5 Desert of Desolation module series, Revised 1987 edition There is a collected single version of all these modules available right now on Amazon, I'm abiding by the rules. I haven't ever played these modules in any way, but I have read this 1987 version and had two vastly different reactions. Quite simply, I loved about the first 60% of the modules, enough to put them on the list. My reaction is just as strong for the last 40%, except I hate it. For my island group I would rewrite and more especially shorten this 40% portion because that is where I think the module(s) fall apart; they tried to pack too much into them and the creative juices ran dry and the result was a 'jumped the shark' last portion. If it is surprising that a module I haven't played is coming along, well I'm thinking that I can recreate my favorite modules from memory (and creatively tweak certain parts, that would be a fun challenge). Another reason this is coming with me is the length, if you've read these you know that they are going to take quite awhile to run, even if shortened. But time is one thing that won't be in short supply.

Foods
Nothing too crazy.
1. Quaker oats for oatmeal
2. hot coco packets (would double as my beverage and also the sweetener for my oatmeal)
3. Chef salad with turkey and medium salsa for dressing
4. Tortilla chips
5. standard Papa Murphy's vegetable pizza with small broccoli pieces, artichoke hearts, onions and olives
If you do this again anywhere Halaster, may I suggest another category: Drinks/Beverages.
This was fun!
_Matt_
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

RPG Dinosaur wrote:
If you do this again anywhere Halaster, may I suggest another category: Drinks/Beverages.
This was fun!
Thanks! Yes, drinks are in order! So...

Drinks/Beverages:

1. Voss Water - best tasting water from Norway and it comes in glass bottles.
2. Fresh squeezed lemonade, stevia sweetened - the only way to make it!
3. Lipton Cold Brew Iced Tea - a favorite since childhood
4. Tang (Orange) - since we're magically making things health, this would have to make the list!
5. Orange Julius - god how I miss those things!
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Drinks/Beverages
1. Minute Maid Light Lemonade
2. Stash Peppermint Tea
3. Stash Green Tea
4. Vitamilk Skim Milk
4. Vitamilk 2% Chocolate Milk