How do you handle bringing in replacement PCs?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

How do you handle bringing in replacement PCs?

Post by garhkal »

So a combat goes bad and 2-3 pcs are dead. They are not high enough level/have enough dosh to get any raised/resurrected, so need to
A) convert a henchmen of theirs into a PC (or do so for an NPC in the party) or
B) roll up a new PC..

How do YOU have said replacement PC come into the game, assuming they were not already there (Option A).
Do they go "Poof and just appear"?
Does the party 'stumble on a jail cell with the PC inside, and coincidentally find 'all their gear' just left for them in the next room over? If so are they down any HP or spells to represent the beating they took to get captured in the first place??
Do they stumble on to said PC 'wandering around the halls' a remnant of a prior adventuring band who is the only survivor of? Like above, are they down spells/ammo/hp to represent the battle(s) they have been through??
Do you have the new pc have to wait till the party is in a "safe space" such as the party's camp or even all the way back to town, before they come in??
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: How do you handle bringing in replacement PCs?

Post by Stik »

"Poof and appear" doesn't happen in my games. I'm all about things making sense.

Finding a new PC locked up in the dungeon, with their gear conveniently stored nearby, is also a no-no. Although if the dungeon denizens the party is facing are the type to take prisoners, I might be inclined for the PC to be locked up, but as far as gear, they'd have to scrounge for it in the dungeon, or borrow from the PCs, at least until they get back to somewhere they could find replacement stuff. And I would probably have them down a few hit points, too.

It's unlikely that two adventuring parties would be in the average dungeon at the same time without running into each other at some point, that point probably being before the encounter that took out some members of the original PC party, but it is possible, and it is a good way to introduce a new PC. Of course, there ought to be a generous dose of suspicion on both sides in such a situation.

Town is my usual go-to. And until the party returns to town, I might have the player run one of the NPCs to give them something to do, so they aren't just sitting about mourning their lost character.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
GenghisDon
Vagabond
Vagabond

Re: How do you handle bringing in replacement PCs?

Post by GenghisDon »

garhkal wrote:So a combat goes bad and 2-3 pcs are dead. They are not high enough level/have enough dosh to get any raised/resurrected, so need to
A) convert a henchmen of theirs into a PC (or do so for an NPC in the party) or
B) roll up a new PC..

How do YOU have said replacement PC come into the game, assuming they were not already there (Option A).
Do they go "Poof and just appear"?
Does the party 'stumble on a jail cell with the PC inside, and coincidentally find 'all their gear' just left for them in the next room over? If so are they down any HP or spells to represent the beating they took to get captured in the first place??
Do they stumble on to said PC 'wandering around the halls' a remnant of a prior adventuring band who is the only survivor of? Like above, are they down spells/ammo/hp to represent the battle(s) they have been through??
Do you have the new pc have to wait till the party is in a "safe space" such as the party's camp or even all the way back to town, before they come in??
It varies
sometimes A)
no "poof, they appear" (or at least very rarely!)
any of the next 3.
the prisoner/replacement PC often has crap or even no gear. There might or might not be some nearby. This is more important as levels rise; gaining piles of magic items by getting killed is not a good idea. I've been there, done that, know better now.