Two question post concerning comic movies

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Two question post concerning comic movies

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

*SPOILER* alerts for Batman versus Superman: Dawn of Justice but the second part in bold down below doesn't contain any Dawn of Justice spoilers (or any spoilers whatsoever), and isn't about that film
I became a comics fan at a young age, with a big reason because I have an older brother whose main passion in life for awhile was comic books. I embraced the production of superhero movies, but maybe not as much as other comic enthusiasts because I don't enjoy going to see movies at cinemas as much as probably the average person.

The release of the Batman versus Superman: Dawn of Justice DVD a few days ago has me wondering about what you thought of the film. I don't keep up on comics and comic movies consistently all that much, but even I heard the uproar about Dawn of Justice before seeing it. The buzz I heard was that people were mostly unhappy with the film after being intrigued about it beforehand. I loved it and thought it was brilliant. The only significant negatives for me were that it tilted over the too-dark line (that happened when the blood poured out of Martha and Thomas Wayne's coffins in the mausoleum), and I'll concede that the quick battle between Zod and Superman to set up the Superman as a potential threat debate might have been confusing to casual fans as it happened so fast.

The film wasn't nearly so dark as to ruin it for me, as it did for my brother, who saw it way sooner than me but kept his mouth shut. He also hated it for a very common reason among people of that opinion: the performance of Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. I didn't mind his performance. Hadn't we already seen two different actors be directed to do pretty much literal, straight from the comics interpretations of Lex Luthor? It didn't occur to me that I was seeing a Joker or Riddler rip off, it worked for me. The re-imagining of the Bat Cave entrance as being underwater was also brilliant to me, as well as Batman's branding of criminals. After seven modern Batman films I am okay with some re-tweaking. The Wonder Woman debut was fresh and intriguing as well IMHO. All the new interpretations worked for me. I liked that the fight between the two hero's wasn't a draw.

My favorite moments were: Batman saying "Why do you keep saying that name?!" when Superman is down and repeating "Martha!" Very creative use of the mythos! Also, what put the movie over the top in a positive way for me was the writers tying in the Superman 'dying' story arc at the end. Didn't see that coming. I had purposefully avoided discussion and trailers, but happened to see the trailer for this before the Force Awakens and decided not to block it out. The last scene of that trailer had the hero's about ready to confront Doomsday. I thought the hero's were just going to eventually beat down Doomsday and that would be the end of it until the Justice League movie. The 'dying' twist just added to what had already been a great movie experience for me.

So enough from me, where do you stand in the Batman versus Superman: Dawn of Justice discussion?

So what's your interest level for the next batch of comic movies, Suicide Squad out yesterday, Doctor Strange, the last Hugh Jackman Wolverine film, the manga based Ghost in the Shell and Guardians of the Galaxy 2? I'll be seeing Suicide Squad because I told my brother I'd treat him as a birthday present, but after that I feel like taking a break from seeing any new comic movies in the theaters for awhile.
_Matt_
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Two question post concerning comic movies

Post by Cole »

I'll do Guardians of the Galaxy 2, but that's it. After I heard a rumor that batman beat superman I totally gave up on superhero movies.... that's just plain fucking stupid. :roll:
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

[quote="Cole" After I heard a rumor that batman beat superman I totally gave up on superhero movies.... that's just plain fucking stupid. :roll:[/quote]
*Another Spoiler Alert* for Dawn of Justice. Yeah, I would agree with you normally Cole, but Batman has some, how should I put this...help. At the only risk of wasting a couple hours and a little money you might be pleasently surprised checking it out as a rental.
_Matt_
Sheila Jackson
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Sheila Jackson »

Thank you very much for sharing. It was nice of you to post your questions post concerning comic movies. http://livecustomwriting.com/blog/age-o ... ics-movies Here is an article about age of superheroes increasing popularity of comics movies. Enjoy reading!
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

I've been enjoying most of the Marvel movies, but the DC movies I've mostly avoided like the plague. All I need to do is see the trailers to say "garbage". Between the constant reboots of Superman and Batman (an outsider might well believe that DC comics owns only 2 superhero characters and a couple of supervillains), Batman growling his lines in almost incomprehensible, pre-literate guttural utterances, the massive changes to the characters (Aquaman now looks like a homeless vagrant, Cyborg looks like he's wearing pieces of the set to Logan's Run, etc), that persistent glum look the new Superman has - a facial expression that seems to be a mix of confusion, annoyance and constipation, and the overall "dark" tone of the movies has totally turned me off to the DC movies.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

The sole exception to this are the FF and X-men movies. They've changed things so much and warped the source material that I can't stomach it. :puke:
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:I've been enjoying most of the Marvel movies, but the DC movies I've mostly avoided like the plague. All I need to do is see the trailers to say "garbage". Between the constant reboots of Superman and Batman

and the overall "dark" tone of the movies has totally turned me off to the DC movies.
Gee Halaster, why don't you tell us how you really feel :!:
I do have to say that in addition to Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice I am also a big supporter of all three Chris Nolan Batman films (starting with Batman Begins). I respect your opinion. :up: In the viewpoint of Batman being too dark, well I think that pretty dark is how most, not all, fans prefer Batman. IMHO the writers and directors of the recent films are creating with what they believe the majority (not all) of fans want to see.

Also, you zeroed in on DC endlessly churning out the Bat and Superman films, but I would point out that less than five years after the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man films were out of theaters Marvel started the 'Amazing' S-M films.
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:The sole exception to this are the FF and X-men movies. They've changed things so much and warped the source material that I can't stomach it. :puke:
I actually wrote two new posts, make sure you check out the one above this.
I saw the first two FF and X-Men films, didn't see the FF reboot. Yeah, sometimes they are getting too far away from the source material. I liked the treatment of the Silver Surfer, but the transformation of Galactus into an ominous cloud for FF2: Rise of the S.S. was a complete farce, a cheap cop out.
Also, I did indeed see Suicide Squad back in August. It was an average film IMO, but it did have one bright spot IMO and *SPOILER*..... that was the Joker played by Jared Leto. I don't think that anybody will ever supplant the Heath Ledger Joker as most memorable, but this new Joker works for me.
_Matt_
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

RPG Dinosaur wrote:
Gee Halaster, why don't you tell us how you really feel
LOL! If I wrote how I really feel about certain directors and movies, this site would go from PG rated to XXX rated! 8O :twisted:
In the viewpoint of Batman being too dark, well I think that pretty dark is how most, not all, fans prefer Batman. IMHO the writers and directors of the recent films are creating with what they believe the majority (not all) of fans want to see.
The problem is that too many modern "fans" want garbage. They dwell in murky negativity and "darkness". There's this hunger for "darkness" in Batman that didn't exist for most of the character's incarnation. Originally, Batman would kill if he had to, but he was not neurotic, psychotic, depraved, and plotting how to kill all his fellow Justice Leaguers "just in case" like some paranoid maniac. I just don't understand why people want their superheroes to be so f#ck3d up. :crazy:
Also, you zeroed in on DC endlessly churning out the Bat and Superman films, but I would point out that less than five years after the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man films were out of theaters Marvel started the 'Amazing' S-M films.
That's true, but that doesn't change the fact that aside from a so-so Green Lantern movie, DC has put out almost exclusively Batman/Superman movies, with the characters getting more depressing and "dark" and just pathetic with each re-write. And the same two stupid, boring, poorly portrayed villains - Joker and Luthor (yawn). You would truly think DC has only 2 heroes and 2 villains in their stable.

Meanwhile, during the time of Batman/Superman/Batman/Batman/Batman/Batman/Superman/Batman & Superman, we've seen (from Marvel) Ghost Rider, Blade, Spiderman, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, FF, Xmen (with dozens of different characters), Capt. America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Black Panther, Ultron, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Odin, Silver Surfer, Guardians of the Galaxy, Loki, Nick Fury, Thanos, the Warrior Three, Sif, Hiemdal, Winter Soldier, Giantman, Antman, and soon Dr. Strange, etc, etc, etc.

There's no competition.
I saw the first two FF and X-Men films, didn't see the FF reboot. Yeah, sometimes they are getting too far away from the source material. I liked the treatment of the Silver Surfer, but the transformation of Galactus into an ominous cloud for FF2: Rise of the S.S. was a complete farce, a cheap cop out.
Yeah, the Galactus cloud and Reed Richards partying with young girls made me fast forward thru it.
GenghisDon
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by GenghisDon »

yeah, Marvel has been crushing DC for a decade. I think they were put on suicide watch after The Avengers came out. They are trying now, but like to shoot themselves in the foot, and keep making $ anyway, so who knows how long it will take them to get it together. Still, wonder Woman looks like it might be good, and Aquaman is totally ripping off Namor (Mamora IS NAMOR, not water guy), so it might not be terrible. Precedent on thievery too, Namor came out 2 years before Aquaman, 1939 vs 1941. It's all the stranger seeign as Marvel doesn't have the (movie) rights to a host of it's best characters, such as the FF, X-men or Spider man, although Spidey is inching back, Namor & Hulk are kinda back/almost there, and Daredevil, Ghost Rider, & Punisher are fully theirs again now. WB/DC has gotta feel embarrassed getting punked by Marvel with both arms tied behind it's back.

Nov 4 is Dr Strange; looks fantastic!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=253OvBt-fik

trailers for Logan (fox is at best 50/50., but it's a good trailer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWcXXxVZF2A
&
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQFIu9InG7Q

dropped recently
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

GenghisDon wrote:. Still, wonder Woman looks like it might be good,

Nov 4 is Dr Strange; looks fantastic!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=253OvBt-fik

trailers for Logan (fox is at best 50/50., but it's a good trailer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWcXXxVZF2A
The trailers for Wonder Woman and Doctor Strange do look good IMO, but I don't personally dig either of those characters enough to shell out the money to see the films.
In the first post I said I felt like taking a break from comic book movies after Suicide Squad, but am going to go see Logan. Just can't pass up seeing the last Hugh Jackman Wolverine film on the big screen.
_Matt_
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

I've heard that studio leaks are saying that Wonder Woman is going to be as disappointing as Superman vs. Batman. Wonder if that's reverse psychology, because the trailers looked ok. Still gotta rent Superman vs. Batman just to test my endurance of utter crap. :roll:
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

I got too busy to see the Logan film in the theatre, but I'm looking forward to seeing it on DVD at some point.
I was a late convert to the Pirates of the Carribean films and had never seen one on the big screen. So I did see the latest one, POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales (in 3-D) at the theatre recently. One of the previews was for the second reboot of Spider-Man. This isn't the third film with Andrew Garfield playing Parker/Spider-Man, like I said it is the second reboot since the original Tobey Mcquire films. They are really going for the middle/elementary school audience now. If I understood the preview correctly this current movie Spider-Man is in the eighth grade. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but this next Spider-Man film isn't for me. I don't think Andrew Garfield really caught on as Spider-Man, but the character is still such a draw that they decided to go in another direction. If it works, good on 'em.
Glad to see that Wonder Woman is a hit for Warner. I don't think that we'll disagree that if Warner stays afloat and remains at least within spitting distance of Marvel competition wise, we all win as viewers.
_Matt_
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Just saw Spiderman: Homecoming and it was probably the best superhero movie I've ever seen! Just amazing! Best actor for Spiderman ever, Keaton played an awesome, sinister Vulture, the actors rocked, the story rocked, the action and FX rocked. About the only real complaint I had was Vulture's costume. Too mechanical. Wish they'd stick a bit closer to the comics - everything is high tech now.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:Just saw Spiderman: Homecoming and it was probably the best superhero movie I've ever seen!
8O 8O Wow,didn't see that coming! 8O
_Matt_