newcommer

Back from the past? Been Lurking and finally want to say hi? Or simply new to the Planet? This is the place to introduce yourself to everyone else.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

spike
Peasant
Peasant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

newcommer

Post by spike »

hello all, just thought I'd stop in and see what this boards all about.

Old hat ad&d 1st edition gamer here. It's been awhile...since bloodletting and adventuring have been so near and dear to my heart.

Looking forward to getting into some fun bantering here and there.

Like Gary Gygax himself, am presently located in the midwest (Chicago) though relocating soon.
people don't kill people, magic missiles kill people
TristenC
Vagabond
Vagabond
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: newcommer

Post by TristenC »

Welcome to the site :)

I lived in MKE for several years and even went to lake Geneva once... pity I didn't track down the old master-source while I was there ;)
What doesn't kill you just means you made your save... this time...
spike
Peasant
Peasant

Post by spike »

Ah, me neither. Chock it up to yet another bucket list item never got around to. I used to road trip to Geneva so frequently back in the day too.
TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall
Favorite D&D Edition: 5th Edition

Post by TigerStripedDog »

Welcome Spike! Annother Illinoisan on the board. Well met. I am down in Peoria. Halaster is also local, and I believe closer to you.

If you're ever in Champaign, Peoria, or Springfield visit Titan Games, those are the stores I co-own :)

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
spike
Peasant
Peasant

Post by spike »

Oh? Cool!

Yeah I might end up relocating to Portland real soon, like in a month. Oh well!
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Welcome to the PADnD my friend :)

Please feel free to share, post, debate and outright argue (if need be) on these forums. We all appreciate casual banter and heated debates ;)

Goodtimes! ... and yes, most of us are old-schoolers too round here.

~ Long live 1E
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
spike
Peasant
Peasant

Post by spike »

Thanks buddy, sounds good. I'm not much of an arguer but I can be when pressured :)
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Hi Spike, let me also offer my welcome. I'm one of the aforementioned old schoolers, but also am keeping my ear to the ground about 5E through this site. I'd tell you to jump right in, but see from your posted story and the Paladin/Magic Jar thread that you already have!
Last edited by RPG Dinosaur on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Matt_
spike
Peasant
Peasant

Post by spike »

Thanks Matt,

5E eh? What's your impression thus far?

I stubbornly resisted most of the more streamlined flavors of AD&D over the years. Reason being is that I felt they created one man armies vs. a team of adventurers who needed one another and are forced to cooperate. I like to keep it simple anyhow, I feel like too many rules, new rules, new changes detracts from things IMHO.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

The earlier editions are still my main interest. I haven't played any 5e, but was naturally a little inquisitive about it when it came out. I have heard good things thus far from other old schoolers here who are giving it a try. One of the sites mod's, Brightmantle, is posting a record,journal, blog, whatever you want to call it, of a 5e campaign he is judging from the Rage of Demons storyline. It is in the 5e forum under the title Out of the Abyss is you want to give it a look yourself.
_Matt_
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Welcome aboard, Spike. Glad to have you. Sorry I am just giving you a nod, now. I've been on vacation this past week and away in the wilds of Northern California. I look forward to talking all things gaming with you. I will be adding new entries in Out of the Abyss this week, as my players have just finished chapter one of that story line. I was a play tester for 5e, and got in on the ground floor. If you have any specific inquiries I'd be glad to answer your questions. Note : AD&D 1e is still my favorite version of the game. I am only now broadening my horizons into wotc versions of D&D after 27 years of gaming. May the dice feel natural in your hand, roll in the way that provides you the most entertaining result, and never force you to use a sling shot or torch to get even with them for their wrongs against your beloved characters. :lol:
A king without a sword, the land without a king!
spike
Peasant
Peasant

Post by spike »

Hi Brightmantle, thanks for the nod.

North Cali, sounds like a fun time.

Well it's something to be said for giving it a go (5E). I'll have to do a preliminary scouting of it, see what the deal is. I'll check out Into the Abyss.

Speaking of Abyss, little ad&d trivia time here, do any of you guys know who actually created the Abyss and all thats in it? :) just wondering. If you don't it's perfectly understandable as the architect was purposely obscure for a reason. You might actually dig the story
LadyWinterWolf
Freeman
Freeman
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by LadyWinterWolf »

Hail and well met Spike!

1e and 2e gamer am I; welcome to Planet and enjoy the adventuring.
:welcome:

LWW
Long live the Witch Queen!!!