Read any good books lately?

Post your poems, scriptures, stories & other written work here. If they get lots of attention, we may even post them under PADnD's content section.

Moderator: Stik

Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Stik »

In my PC-failure-induced hiatus from PADnD, I did a lot of reading. I've got a few recommendations.

Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal by Thomas Harris (the Hannibal Lecter trilogy). If you don't know who Hannibal is, you are likely to be profoundly disturbed by these books. If you do, from the movies and/or the TV show, you may be intrigued as I was by the differences between the adaptations and the source material.

The Child Thief by Gerald Brom. A modern-day retelling of Peter Pan. Gritty and dark, yet true to the original.

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. What would be the impact on society if there were an infinite number of alternate parallel universes that one could just step into?

What are you reading?
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Re: Read any good books lately?

Post by Stik »

And I'm just gonna leave this right here...

(Click image for the rest of the series.)
DramaLlama
Peasant
Peasant

Post by DramaLlama »

"S" by JJ Abrams

It is such an interesting read

Plus it has a decoder wheel in it. It is not a book to try to read digitally. It has all sorts of add ins through out. It even has a story within a story.
spyguy1503
Peasant
Peasant

Post by spyguy1503 »

Ready Player One and Armada, by Earnest Cline.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Stik wrote:
The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. What would be the impact on society if there were an infinite number of alternate parallel universes that one could just step into?
That book sounds like a mind blower!
As I've mentioned on namenlos's Converting a book to a campaign thread, I finished A Journey to the Center of the Earth in December. I have been reading mostly non-fiction these last few years (with the exception of graphic novels), but had come to the conclusion that I hadn't read enough of the Classics. Again, if you haven't read it, it gets a strong recommendation from me.
I'm three chapters in to The Martian, but I'm not digging it. I wanted to see the movie and prefer to read books before seeing their movies. Think I'll just watch the movie after all :lol: .
The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck. It was Steinbeck's first novel that wasn't located in the U.S. Actually, it kind of has a trippy, Twilight Zone feel to it because there is no reference to a specific time period or country. Short enough to buzz through it, but memorable in my opinion.
_Matt_
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

Stick with The Martian. I haven't read it, but one of my coworkers is reading it now and says it's really good
namenlos
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by namenlos »

So glad you mentioned Lovecraft :D

I bought the Collected(?) works at Barnes and Noble and had a lot of... fun? reading it. I thought it was a real trip at times.
Spoiler(?)
I specifically liked his story of wandering of from a cave tour group and finding a primitive man, if you're familiar with that one.

---
So... not everyone will like this and it's not classic but Dan Abnett's Warhammer 40k novels always blow me away when I read them. Reading them during my military service was great because the author is really able to convey the scene to me with realism(despite being you know way in the future). This has a tie in with Lovecraft since I read Warhammer 40k first and some of Lovecrafts stories gave me the feel of traversing the Empyrean(sp?), just nice for me to be able to relate the two.

(all of the above is my opinion and just that. Being so, everyone should agree to it :D)