DM tips

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

namenlos
Vagabond
Vagabond

DM tips

Post by namenlos »

I figure I can always learn something new and with no access to the DM area I figured I'd see if anyone had any tips they'd like to share out here? general knowledge, do's and don'ts, etc?

I think I'll start it off by saying don't overthink it! Something I'm pretty good at :D overthinking that is.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Re: DM tips

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

The only criteria that I know of for gaining access to the DM's forum is that you are or at one time were, a DM. Just send a PM to one of the mod's and I'm sure they'll set you up.
_Matt_
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Stik »

If you haven't been given access to the DM section, PM me and I'll figure out how to give you access (it's been awhile since I've used the Mod control panel. I have to retrain myself).
Or PM one of the other mods. They might already know how.

As to you your question, my advice for DMs is:

Steal everything you can.

Seriously. Stealing characters from movies and TV, or putting an actor's face on an NPC (if only in your own mind) allows you to roleplay them more effectively. There's no reason the bounty hunter in the bar couldn't be Jules from Pulp Fiction. You already know how Jules would react to a given situation, so it saves you having to spend a lot of time thinking about it.
Don't be too blatant about it, though. If that bounty hunter starts spouting "Ezekiel 25:17" your cover is blown and your players will make fun of you.

Steal settings. Steal dialogue. Steal scenes. Change them. Use them. Your players won't notice, and they will think you're ten times more creative than you actually are.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
namenlos
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by namenlos »

Thanks, It would be interesting to see what's hidden behind the DM screen lol.

As for your advice, that is actually one of the most paralyzing things for me when it comes to writing. As I put pencil to paper or fingers to keyboard I can't help but see the books I've read in what I've written and shy away from it, whether I had done well or not. Kinda silly I suppose but still. In the end it's hard not to steal(haha) at least for me, heck some of those stories are why I DM lol.

Something I like to do is not be too set in stone when I create a world, I like to have an overview of the campaign plot but be flexible in the outcome. This is not so much a tip I guess but a personal preference maybe?