Sticking To Yer Boss!

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Sticking To Yer Boss!

Post by Cole »

Well, what goes around comes around... especially in my line of work. For those not up to date on my personal life... not that anyone cares... but last week my employer decided to hire someone behind my back, with no warning and just shoved me aside like an old broom to try and save a few bucks. Without any thought to how much money I make them (approximately $60,000 k a year), they decided that the $7,000 I cost them in fuel was not worth keeping my area of coverage mine.

So today... I get an email which says; Cole can you please go install 10 dispensers in the city which is no longer in my area. I politely informed them that there is a "new GMT" in that area and I no longer provide my services within that location. That probably lost me a few hundred bucks.... but I know for a fact they emailed me because the "new guy" can't do it. Now you have no one to do yer shitty jobs assholes.

That's what happens when you bite the hand that feeds you! :x

Only took a week for that revenge to take place. Can't wait until the "new guy" has to scrape a dead body off the floor and pukes everywhere... not having a clue how to proceed with that. :lol:

yes I'm bitter .... you would be to if you lost 3/4 of your paycheck. :(
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Re: Sticking To Yer Boss!

Post by Brightmantle »

What do you do for a living: animal carcass retrieval? Ambulance attendant ? You work for a morgue or something dude? I thought you remodeled cars and were a paint and body guy. Dead bodies are in your line of work eh? Groovy.

Dispensers? Coke machines and dead people. WTF? I guess people take their snacking seriously in Canuck-istan. :lol:
A king without a sword, the land without a king!
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Crasez58 »

Lol good for you :D but like I told ya it could be worse so cheer up buddy it'll get better
The single most dangerous thing in all of Krynn is to hear a Kender say "oops".
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Brightmantle wrote:What do you do for a living: animal carcass retrieval? Ambulance attendant ? You work for a morgue or something dude? I thought you remodeled cars and were a paint and body guy. Dead bodies are in your line of work eh? Groovy.

Dispensers? Coke machines and dead people. WTF? I guess people take their snacking seriously in Canuck-istan. :lol:
Well I work for 3 companies BM. My own company "A&C Restoration" is a home renovation company. I've been doing home reno's for over 15 years. I try not to do that stuff any more, leave it open for friends and family. My 2nd job is REPO man. I work for a nation wide company that forecloses on people's homes. Doing such, I tied my renovation job into that company and do extensive cleanup work on these homes. Prepping, Tyvek work, mold remediation, toxic removal and yes, sometimes scrapping off dead body remnants. The 3rd company I work for because of my "jack of all trades" skills is a national company called iCheck. We basically install stuff for large companies like People's Jewelers, Target, Various Banks, Walmart etc.

Most of the time I just sit around my house watching over my kids. My wife has the real job that demands a ton of time and she doesn't have the luxury of flexible hours like me. This is why PAD&D exists and why I can BS all day with you guys most of the calendar year. Once my 2 year old is in Kindergarten then that will change I can go get a normal job again. Scrapping dead people off of floors pays HUGE $$$, but it probably not good for anyone's health no matter what suit you wear :( The mold remediation is much worse IMO.

I'm working on a new company plan now so that I can stay at home and put my true skills to work. I'm also and IT guy and tech for over 15 years now. This is why this site exists, as you can see the coding, web-design, graphic and database skills at work on PADnD.com. ;)
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Life at your job still pure suckage there Cole? Here's hoping you get some better opportunities in the near future. :)
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Yeah, they are questioning my pricing for lockups now. I personally think the company got bought out, fired allot of people and are looking to cut corners as much as possible as I seem to be dealing with allot of disgruntled people now and penny pinching is the new game.

I'm just going to tell them to go shove it up their ass soon as I don't need their income and don't really care about their petty problems anymore. When it paid me 7K or more a month it was worth listening to bitching, pissing and moaning... but now I'm down to under 1K (today was my smallest check in 5 years) ... I was like ... FUCK IT!

I do things as slow as possible now, take my time and don't run out immediately and do things for any of them now. All because some butthole bought out the company and wanted to prove they could save money by lowering quality and reducing customer service.

Luckily I'm married to a super hard worker, who makes huge bucks (compared to me) and was just rewarded with a promotion to Supervisor in the RCMP. So... we can make it by now with or without me. Perhaps a divorce is coming ... hahaha 8O

Better make myself useful ;)
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Hey cheer up man. I lost my job today because I am to skilled for my position and because I'm over qualified. I cost the company more than a unskilled laborer, and even though I can produce 4 times what he can: greed tells the boss that I'm out. I lost 500 dollars in pay today alone. More good news- today's my wife's birthday. Sonofabitch! :fu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjcT4Qt8aI0
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Crasez58 »

Brightmantle wrote:Hey cheer up man. I lost my job today because I am to skilled for my position and because I'm over qualified. I cost the company more than a unskilled laborer, and even though I can produce 4 times what he can: greed tells the boss that I'm out. I lost 500 dollars in pay today alone. More good news- today's my wife's birthday. Sonofabitch! :fu:
Sorry about that bm butall I can think of is [youtube]Southpark - http://youtu.be/768h3Tz4Qik[/youtube]
The single most dangerous thing in all of Krynn is to hear a Kender say "oops".
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Brightmantle wrote:Hey cheer up man. I lost my job today because I am to skilled for my position and because I'm over qualified. I cost the company more than a unskilled laborer, and even though I can produce 4 times what he can: greed tells the boss that I'm out. I lost 500 dollars in pay today alone. More good news- today's my wife's birthday. Sonofabitch! :fu:
This sounds very similar to what I'm going through in a certain way BM. It's the over qualified part that seems to run rampant. They originally hired me because I could do everything (the work of 10 guys), but they are constantly asking me if I can do the work for the price of the un-skilled worker. I have enough skills and tech savy that I could probably run this company I work for by myself... and the part that really burns me is that I have 20 year old hi-school graduates trying to explain how it might be able to do it cheaper for them. I got the most ridiculous email from one of them yesterday. I just died laughing with what they figured I do for them when securing a home. They haven't got a clue. :roll:

Sorry to hear you've been ousted outright bud. Fuckin world and bureaucracy drives me crazy. It feels like people develop skills for 40 years just to be undermined.

I already told my company that if they want $12 an hour workers, then hire $12 an hour workers and fire me. I don't care because I have contractors in town lined up to hire me at $25+ an hour (for work I don't really want to do but easy to get). They keep saying no we need your skillset... then I'm like "THEN FUCKIN PAY ME FOR MY SKILLSET!"

The funniest part is the company manager just gave me a raise to $37.00 / hour, while the underlings try to talk me into doing shit for next to nothing. Lack of communication big time. :x

My best advice for you BM is to just jump. I'm a strong believer in KARMA (as I don't believe in any religion). What you do as a good human always comes back 10 fold. Every time someone shits on me, it's not long and something better comes along as I do things to help folks all the time. Got fired, it was probably for the best... a new job awaits someone of your skillset and will be glad to pay for it. ;)
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Well I look at it liker this, I was looking for a job when I found this one. Let this new laborer see what I do for a living and he'll find that only 1 out of 100 is willing and able to risk his life on a daily basis and work at the altitudes and angles I do. lol I have another income as well, so this wont break me. As far as religion goes, I wont get into it except to say I am unlike yourself in that regard. Best of luck with your financial situation in the near future. P.S. Don't say "jump", I wouldn't survive. :lol:
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

you never posted what you did for a living :lol: but you get what i mean. Those not willing to take a risk, never get anywhere in life.
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Heh, I actually have a very important job and it's always an adventure. I climb tall buildings and do routine maintenance on heating units, incinerators, dryers, build chimneys, repair them, clean them, install wood stoves, fireplaces, inserts, liners ect. I hang off of the sides of buildings all day. I'll try to embed some pictures for you. Enjoy. http://work.chron.com/DM-Resize/photos. ... o=1&webp=1

http://www.stroudchimneysweeps.co.uk/im ... orking.jpg

http://www.archwaychimneys.co.uk/img/se ... london.jpg
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

So, I actually got my job back. Seems no one wants to climb buildings and risk death every day after all. The boss man came to me and apologized to me for what happened last year. He also explained that since I left the company he had a significant bit of financial trouble partly due to my absence. Turns out he didn't make as much money last year, had to deal with green climbers who were afraid of heights, (most are) and one of his employees wrecked a company vehicle into a bridge guard rail; thrashing the trucks front end. "Ouch"!
He asked me to come back and offered me a significant sum of money to make up for my troubles for the coming season. We shook hands and came to an agreement.

I am once again wearing my "topper" and working as a journeyman Chimney Sweep. It takes a certain type of crazy person to do this profession. I guess I am that guy.
A little trivia: Did you know we are considered to be good luck and are often allowed to crash weddings- even kiss the bride? In Europe- People long to shake our hands, rub our jacket buttons, and women will kiss you on the street. I often get ladies kissing me at the German festivals here in the US if I'm in uniform. No lie. Kind of pisses my wife off! :wink:

If you have a chimney- have it cleaned once every two years. It can cause a house fire and thousands of homes burn each year because of lack of HVAC maintenance. Clean your chimney It's a matter of life and Death.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Glad to hear your boss wised up and made the offer for you to come back! Don't think he'll be letting you go again if he can help it.
_Matt_
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Ya, I think he's come to his senses. I am glad it took him a while to try and make amends, so I had time to cool off. I was pretty irritated by how things had worked out last year. My wife was none to happy with me and it was a real pain to tell her I had lost my steady employment on her birthday. I am glad that he wanted to make things right. I hope that there's no more drama for the foreseeable future.