CB radios

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

CB radios

Post by Cole »

So I'm getting into this now. Yup another hobby for me. That's 3000! J/K but my wife is buggin me about having a billion hobbys so... yeah, I'll admit it. I do :)

If anyone here is familiar with CB radios, let me know. I have some questions and most likely my american friends can help me out as parts here are expensive :(
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: CB radios

Post by Crasez58 »

CB or ham? :) I personally would try to get a ham radio I don't know what Canadians have to go through to get a license but in the US it is $15 to take the test

Cb is what truckers use ham is higher power longer range
The single most dangerous thing in all of Krynn is to hear a Kender say "oops".
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

ohh I never heard of Ham radios. I'm going CB right now as all my buddies have it and the truckers as you mention. We are getting around a mile now... but I'd like to get more around 50 miles. I'll look into that Crazy ;) thanks for the tip :up:
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Crasez58 »

Not a problem! If I remember correctly you can boost you signal legaly(at least in the us)http://m.wisegeek.org/how-do-i-increase ... -range.htm
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

I'm almost a complete layman when it comes to CBs and ham radios, but on the more practical end I just read a newspaper article about how hams are used by a volunteer group to transmit emergency information in the area where I live. If there is an emergency like a natural disaster, you would probably be informed about it much quicker if you owned a ham.
_Matt_
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Yeah I pick up the emergency weather channel on my CB already... it's always talking away. That's a cool feature when the zombie apoc hits us all ;) :roll:

As for amps, yeah I'm going to look into that Crazy... I got about a mile range now on the open road, that's not bad. I'm going to place an external speaker by my head so I can hear better over my car's engine.

I need an SWR meter asap as I can't tune shit without it... seems impossible to get one here in Canada right now. I'll have to pick one up on ebay I guess.

They are fun though, as a guy pointed out on that website, it's a great alternative to a cell and it works anywhere. I also found a huge benefit here in BC. I can yak on that and not get a ticket... :D
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Crasez58 »

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2036239

Ask and ye shall receive?
If this is any cheaper than it is for you and you want it lemme know
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Thanks Crazey ;)

I got one of eBay coming from Ohio soon. If it turns out to be a POS then I'll get this one you posted as it got good reviews ;)
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Crasez58 »

my buddy who is big into ham and cb's told me that you can get a cb with the swr meter and power meter built in for not much more :D might be something to think about
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

yeah I seen that. The built in ones those are not very accurate though... the external ones are much better (naturally because you have to spend more money) :(

I've looked into those Ham radios, those are cool! I'll have to wait awhile till I can get one of those as my wife would skin me alive if I ignored my CB now... lol

There's juts something cool about driving around talking to my buddies in town and not being worried about a cop seeing me and handing out a ticket. ;)