The Top modules of all time according to Dungeon

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Billy_Buttcheese
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: The Top modules of all time according to Dungeon

Post by Billy_Buttcheese »

After reviewing the list again, I noted C2 at #44. I ran this for some friends back in '82 and we all had a blast. In fact, one of the guys liked it so much he started to write a story about the adventure. He never got much beyond the first chapter because RW concerns took over but whenever we get together, he always wants to reminisce about that module. I liked it because it wasn't a typical dungeon crawl but had some elements of them. The puzzles were what they seemed to enjoy the most. Especially the chess room and the upside down room in the tower. The whole thing had a kind of 'funhouse' feel to it. Not like X2, which was one crazy romp to the next and another one I thoroughly enjoyed. I would have moved this one much higher on the list, top 10 for sure! Anyone else enjoy either playing or running this module?
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Keep on the border lands. Classic!
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Billy_Buttcheese
Peddler
Peddler

Actually Cole, I was referring to C2: The Ghost Tower of Inverness but B2 is a great adventure as well. It's a toss-up between B2 and T1 as to which adventure I've run more. Most of every one of my players cut their teeth on one of those two modules. :)
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Billy_Buttcheese wrote:After reviewing the list again, I noted C2 at #44. I ran this for some friends back in '82 and we all had a blast. In fact, one of the guys liked it so much he started to write a story about the adventure. He never got much beyond the first chapter because RW concerns took over but whenever we get together, he always wants to reminisce about that module. I liked it because it wasn't a typical dungeon crawl but had some elements of them. The puzzles were what they seemed to enjoy the most. Especially the chess room and the upside down room in the tower. The whole thing had a kind of 'funhouse' feel to it. Not like X2, which was one crazy romp to the next and another one I thoroughly enjoyed. I would have moved this one much higher on the list, top 10 for sure! Anyone else enjoy either playing or running this module?
Gaahh! Billy, while I find your post to be pure gold, it does bring up a sore spot with me. I too admire C2, but have not been able to play through or DM it. :x No DM has offered to have me go through it, and then when I got a beat up copy of it for myself many years ago to DM with, before such things as files, PDF's, while reading through it I discovered a few of the pages missing, as well as one or two of the maps. :x :x Yeah, I could have written in the blanks myself, but chose not to. Even with only reading about eighty-five percent of it, I'm surprised C2 didn't go higher, and doesn't seem to garner the enthusiasm/discussion (not counting what you said) that others on the list do.
X2, ah yes, this one I did play. This one is in my Top, say, 7. Then awhile after playing it I would get my hands on a copy and read all of it. Love the art, both interior and exterior, on this one, especially the drawing of *SPOILER ALERT* the female Amber, who was buried alive and claws her way out of the grave, strangling her brother (can't remember the names offhand). You know we were talking about Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh recently and I remember that the writers of that one were encouraging DM's to impart an unsettling feeling, in conjunction with the magically placed effects, to players as they approached and made their way about the house. I think this goal was much more easily obtained with Castle Amber because of the description of the mule wandering out into the mist and then you go into the Castle and one of the first encounters is that weird, foppish Amber. Not too mention that the PC's were completely shanghaied into the adventure in the first place. Yeah Bill, I really dig this module. By the way, did you record this one in your campaign journal, like with the Desert series? As with that one I would be curious how you fared or the party you DM'd did? Did anybody make it to the Tomb of Steven Amber? I didn't.
_Matt_
Billy_Buttcheese
Peddler
Peddler

RPG Dinosaur wrote: X2, ah yes, this one I did play. This one is in my Top, say, 7. Then awhile after playing it I would get my hands on a copy and read all of it. Love the art, both interior and exterior, on this one, especially the drawing of *SPOILER ALERT* the female Amber, who was buried alive and claws her way out of the grave, strangling her brother (can't remember the names offhand). You know we were talking about Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh recently and I remember that the writers of that one were encouraging DM's to impart an unsettling feeling, in conjunction with the magically placed effects, to players as they approached and made their way about the house. I think this goal was much more easily obtained with Castle Amber because of the description of the mule wandering out into the mist and then you go into the Castle and one of the first encounters is that weird, foppish Amber. Not too mention that the PC's were completely shanghaied into the adventure in the first place. Yeah Bill, I really dig this module. By the way, did you record this one in your campaign journal, like with the Desert series? As with that one I would be curious how you fared or the party you DM'd did? Did anybody make it to the Tomb of Steven Amber? I didn't.
This was the 5th adventure I ran for my original group back in the summer of '82. My group was positively stymied by the weirdness but seemed to love every minute of it. Sadly, we were unable to complete it as two of my players stopped playing when they got divorced (nothing to do with D&D, and they both moved to North Carolina shortly after. The remaining players didn't want to go on without them so we started another session with a different DM). Haven't thought about those guys for decades!. But I read through this module dozens of times prior to DMing it and I remember I tried to act like the differing members of the Amber family. I mean, really tried to get into the roles acting "off" & disturbed, using voice inflections and developing nervous tics, etc. I had a blast! It's like the ultimate Halloween adventure.
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Billy_Buttcheese wrote: I remember I tried to act like the differing members of the Amber family. I mean, really tried to get into the roles acting "off" & disturbed, using voice inflections and developing nervous tics, etc. I had a blast!
That's great :D I bet your players never forgot your X2 sessions either.
_Matt_