Back!

Back from the past? Been Lurking and finally want to say hi? Or simply new to the Planet? This is the place to introduce yourself to everyone else.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall
Favorite D&D Edition: 5th Edition

Back!

Post by TigerStripedDog »

HELLO! We have two forums now? I had forgotten :D

I had posted on the others, but not here, so here goes:

Hello everyone. Glad to see the borg still up and running. This place is awesome, it has been awesome. For those of you who don't know me, I started posting here... in 2004? Maybe 2005? Back when I was in college. I was pretty active through early medical school but have dropped off over the past few years. Marriage, Medical School, Residency, and now Fatherhood will do that to a guy. I have lurked for a while, and checked in every now and again.

I wanted to stop in and see who was still around, who was still active, and if anyone here could help me out with some 2nd Edition questions. Thanks!

Attached is a picture of my boy, enjoy!
photo 4 (1).JPG
photo 4 (1).JPG (85.55 KiB) Viewed 19008 times
TSD
*unreadable scribble*
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Back!

Post by Crasez58 »

fire away im happy to help where i can and give a loud opinion where i cant
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Brightmantle »

Cute kid man. Let's talk some D&D! I'm glad to see you came back after all these years.
A king without a sword, the land without a king!
TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall

The warm welcomes here are great :)

My question was about 2nd Edition AD&D Modules, I am looking for some classic non-theme-heavy adventure modules that are worth a darn. Jaded already threw a recommendation my way, but I am always happy for more info if you have it.

TSD
*unreadable scribble*
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Give " The Silver key" a shot as an entry level module. If you want an entire canned campaign try "A Night Below". This one is a great dungeon crawl/ under-dark adventure that spans from level 1-18 or so. You could also use the locales in that game as a jump off point for your own adventures. Most of us here are big Home brew or create your own adventure types running published worlds. If you are considering either of these modules I mentioned hhhmn.. You need not "kill a tree "to acquire them. hint hint. Just as a side note most all 1e. modules are easily portable into 2nd ed. with only minor changes. I know you said " no themes" but the reprinted "Against the Slavers" series is imo a winner. This is a0-a4. A-o Is a new module written by Skip Williams. If you are a 2e. guy you already know him. Well, good luck.
TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall

I am right with you Brightmantle on doing home-brew. In fact, back in the day when I posted here a lot I was getting some great input for my home-brew world:

http://arborris.wiki-site.com/index.php/Main_Page

When I am DM'ing for a serious long term group, this is almost always what I would use, that or my newer home-brew (a little less Warhammer/Iron Age and a little more classic high-fantasy).

My conundrum now however is my lack of time, and group composition. I have been approached by a group of junior and senior high school students about DMing for them. These guys aren't quite as serious as my classic audience of players. And they will likely only play through the summer and up to the next school year (as some of them are leaving for college). Having something that is ready-made sounds great.

I have heard that Night-Below is awesome, and that would have been the place I started if not for the fact that TONIGHT I am going to be starting as a player in a night below group XD

TSD
*unreadable scribble*
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Crasez58 »

If you look through my posts I had a topic about the way back machine. Wizards had a lot of 2e stuff in their archives they just dropped and I think one of the best modules I have played in a long time the Marco volo trilogy was I'm there
rredmond
Peddler
Peddler

Post by rredmond »

Heydee! Welcome back.

I'm no good with the 2E as I'm more a 1E, but wanted to welcome you nonetheless!

--Ron--
:ass: :archer:
http://www.unseenservant.us
for Play by Post gaming!
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

TigerStripedDog wrote:I am right with you Brightmantle on doing home-brew. In fact, back in the day when I posted here a lot I was getting some great input for my home-brew world:

http://arborris.wiki-site.com/index.php/Main_Page

When I am DM'ing for a serious long term group, this is almost always what I would use, that or my newer home-brew (a little less Warhammer/Iron Age and a little more classic high-fantasy).

My conundrum now however is my lack of time, and group composition. I have been approached by a group of junior and senior high school students about DMing for them. These guys aren't quite as serious as my classic audience of players. And they will likely only play through the summer and up to the next school year (as some of them are leaving for college). Having something that is ready-made sounds great.

I have heard that Night-Below is awesome, and that would have been the place I started if not for the fact that TONIGHT I am going to be starting as a player in a night below group XD

TSD
Face palm. No spoiler for you then man! just when I think I'm cooking with gas .. :cook:
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Welcome back Amigo! Good looking lad you got there :) I haven't seen you in so long that I'm not sure you know I have 2 myself now. My boy is 5 and my baby girl is 2. Seems super time consuming (being a stay at home dad for the most part), but I manage and even squeeze in a few D&D groups now (weekly and bi-weekly).

I got no advice for you about pre-made modules, but i've also heard good things about the "night below" modules.

tyyl :greet:
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

I'm a newbie and therefore unable to say welcome back TSD, but I can say welcome! :greet:
_Matt_
LadyWinterWolf
Freeman
Freeman

Post by LadyWinterWolf »

Welcome Back TSD! :)
Long live the Witch Queen!!!
TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall

Also, an update on the Night Below I started... it looks like a fun group. 6PC's. Human Thief, Half-Elven Mage, Elven Ranger, Barbarian Cleric, Knight of Solamnia, and me: Dwarven Fighter Thief named Brutus J. Hardknocks, a gruff cuss out for the money.

Should be interesting, set in the Dragonlance world (obviously considering the Knight).

TSD
*unreadable scribble*
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

TigerStripedDog wrote:Also, an update on the Night Below I started... it looks like a fun group. 6PC's. Human Thief, Half-Elven Mage, Elven Ranger, Barbarian Cleric, Knight of Solamnia, and me: Dwarven Fighter Thief named Brutus J. Hardknocks, a gruff cuss out for the money.

Should be interesting, set in the Dragonlance world (obviously considering the Knight).

TSD

Seems like a solid party. This is for 2e Dragonlance or the original Dragonlance Adventures 1e hardback? I see you wrote Barbarian and Knight of Solamnia. A Night below is a Great Campaign. Never considered it for D.L. though. The default flavor is more Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms: strait vanilla D&D but that's easily modded. Sounds cool. Good class race comb choice too.
TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall

2E Night Below, the DM just loves Dragonlance, and figures once NB is done we might adventure out into the world. He also wanted to try out moon phase tracking, and a new calendar system and thought that this would be a good fit.

I am quite pumped. He is more RP oriented than combat, which should hedge what would otherwise be a very combat heavy module.

TSD
*unreadable scribble*