Dice towers

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Dice towers

Post by Brightmantle »

So, you guys and gals ever roll via a dice tower? I have one of these things called a "dice boot'. You can still roll em into it so it's not like "dice dropping" rather than rolling. That would irk me to no end personally. It's kind of fun to watch the dice run through this thing bouncing to and fro and my players like it so far. It's the trial period right now. I'd never force it's use unless I had people throwing dice all over liker ninnies during the game. One good aspect is- the dice stay where they belong and the result can clearly be seen so no "fudgy fudgy" or cocked dice rolls. Mine has felt padding so it's not very loud. Kind of cool. " What? Bright- that's not olde school"! :scared:
A king without a sword, the land without a king!
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Dice towers

Post by Crasez58 »

Haha was that a poke at me?
Anyway I have built them for a few years and they are rather simple a wooden "cylinder" with some Wooden planks angled at 45° on alternating sides I never thought of covering it in felt though I kind of like the sound of dice clattering through them
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

Never saw much need for such a thing. My players roll their dice openly on the table, so it's not as if they can hide what they are doing, and despite what anyone says, I doubt it's possible to control what way a 20-sider lands, particularly when it bounces among the pretzel crumbs and loose papers and books that litter our table.

When I saw the title of this thread, though, I thought you were talking about the venerable art of stacking dice. I have a few players who, during times when their character is not involved in whatever action is happening at the table, or when there's a break in the game, will try to stack their dice as high as possible until they knock the stack over or someone else kicks the table leg.

Obviously the d4 goes on top.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Stik wrote:Never saw much need for such a thing. My players roll their dice openly on the table, so it's not as if they can hide what they are doing, and despite what anyone says, I doubt it's possible to control what way a 20-sider lands, particularly when it bounces among the pretzel crumbs and loose papers and books that litter our table.

When I saw the title of this thread, though, I thought you were talking about the venerable art of stacking dice. I have a few players who, during times when their character is not involved in whatever action is happening at the table, or when there's a break in the game, will try to stack their dice as high as possible until they knock the stack over or someone else kicks the table leg.

Obviously the d4 goes on top.

i can stack a set and sometimes engage in this uh.. did you say "art"? I see the dice tower as more of an entertaining lark that some find fun, need it though? Awe hell no.
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Crasez58 wrote:Haha was that a poke at me?
Anyway I have built them for a few years and they are rather simple a wooden "cylinder" with some Wooden planks angled at 45° on alternating sides I never thought of covering it in felt though I kind of like the sound of dice clattering through them

Poke at you? I don't actually know you man, nor did I know you built these things. I just think it's kind of cool. Mine is Plexiglas and you get to watch the die go through the course of angles. The felt or foam is more for looks I think. It still makes a little noise either way. I'd like to see some links to pic's of your design Crazez. :thumbs:
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Crasez58 »

Brightmantle wrote: " What? Bright- that's not olde school"! :scared:
That's actually what I was talking about

But I will I just need to find my plans and I will post a step by step
eliana
Vagabond
Vagabond
Favorite D&D Edition: 3rd Edition

Post by eliana »

Nothing is better in the middle of a game than the noise of handling and throwing dices along :knight: the action packed storyline!

SO.. I keep rolling them as it was done generations after ganerations and as it was past down for one player to another...

Lets Roll and lets role... people...!

Éli,
:charge
Raised into Darkness, Awaken by Evil.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Never heard of them :( sounds like some kind of monstrosity you sit in the middle of the table and it rolls dice for you. Myself and players alike are WAYYYYYYY to superstitious to ever use one of those if it's what it sounds like.
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

I couldn't help but notice these have become more common nowadays. ... and rather pricey too.
What are peoples current thoughts on them?
Tower or let 'em fly?

(yes I still stack my dice too)
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
Lyrwik
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: AD&D 2nd Ed

Post by Lyrwik »

I appreciate the artwork and craftsmanship of some of them, but I don't really want them at my table. I find they're just clutter and result in people taking longer to roll their dice than otherwise.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

Some of them look pretty cool, but I don't have any use for them. All of my dice these days are digital. But were I to run another face to face game, I can't imagine I'd ever bother getting one...unless I thought one of my players was cheating or something. :lol:
BryantTheSwordsman
Freeman
Freeman

Post by BryantTheSwordsman »

Due to my understanding that some players find enjoyment through the tactile sensations of dice rolling, writing, miniatures, etc... I usually let players roll however they want. Usually. There has been one time where I had one player, that also played warhammer with, who could only roll his dice as hard as he could. He wasn't doing it on purpose, just legitimately couldnt roll any other way. Miniatures would fly, terrain would be damaged, everyone would duck for cover. Anyways, I took him to the FLGS and had him pick out a dice tower and bought it for him.
"The Gerbil of Andor and Alera"
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Ok so how the dice tower thing worked out. That shit sits on a shelf gathering dust.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Brightmantle wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:51 pm Ok so how the dice tower thing worked out. That shit sits on a shelf gathering dust.
HAHAHA!

Like 99% of my stuff :)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons