Your favorite Setting

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Your favorite Setting

Post by Brightmantle »

So I was wondering about what "official" tsr setting you folks preferred and why? Over at d.f. two worls basically rule them all; Greyhawk and Forgotten realms. This is likely because of the ad&d 1e. fans that call that site home. Yes I know alot of you are world crafters and homebrew but what setting do you dig from the tsr era?
Some options include:
Greyhawk
Blackmoor
The known world a.k.a. Mystara
Hollow world
Red steel
The Forgotten realms
Dragonlance
Taladas
Spelljammer
Planescape
Ravenloft
Masque of the Red death
Hyboria "yes there were Conan modules"
Lankmaar
I have included some expansions to printed settings as well because of the distinct difference in flavor from the base setting. Feel free to fill in any blanks for me. Tsr only please.
A king without a sword, the land without a king!
doomer
Vagabond
Vagabond

Re: Your favorite Setting

Post by doomer »

I gotta go with the Forgotten Realms. The release of the original box set caught me at the right time. I wanted something different. Later with my oldest playing the Baldur's Gate PC games that I had played years before, it gave us some degree of equal footing in understanding a world. I know the rules better, but he knows all the places. Read some of the Drizzt books, but never got huge into FR except as a campaign setting. So many of the old modules could really be set on any world, that it was easy to adapt those to FR.
--Doomer
"Trying is the first step in failure"-Homer Simpson
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Crasez58 »

Seriously top of my list is planescape and red steel both because of the amazing whimsical sometimes terrifing others moments of planescape.

Red steel just because it is so diffirent

But to read hands down is forgotten realms then dragonlance and last is ravenloft
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

I'll go with FR, it had the greatest impact on me as a DM. I seen and owned pretty much all of the FR supplements and loved the maps. I'm big on detail and cartography and FR is hands down king of that.

Second I'll go with Dark Sun as it was the only realm that was really unique enough to get me to read an actual novel.
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Crasez58 »

Wait...you've never read a fr novel?
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Cole wrote:I'll go with FR, it had the greatest impact on me as a DM. I seen and owned pretty much all of the FR supplements and loved the maps. I'm big on detail and cartography and FR is hands down king of that.

Second I'll go with Dark Sun as it was the only realm that was really unique enough to get me to read an actual novel.
Dangit! Forgot to list Athas. "Doh".
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

I am a big fan of the Dark Sun setting, except for one thing: psionics. It's far too prevalent. You can't even eat a salad for lunch without engaging in psionic combat with the tomatoes. It really slows down things that should really be quite simple, like quick random encounters or dungeon designs.

Ravenloft was fun, too, but came with its own complications.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Crasez58 wrote:Wait...you've never read a fr novel?
Nope, I don't read novels at all. I'm that dude that sat around at night reading a thesaurus or a dictionary or a D&D guide. I have about 0 interest in reading novels.
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Crasez58 »

Wow I'm slightly amazed

I'm the guy who always has my nose in a book It's my brain candy
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Yeah I get that allot. Tons of people who meet me are like "ummm you don't read, where does that imagination come from" ... I usually reply, when you have an imagination, you don't need other people's ideas ;) but that's just me being a smart ass :wink:

In RL I just don't have time to read and I when I've tried, I find books to be dull as I end up reading things twice just to try an understand what the writer was intending. I find that on these forums too. Allot of people post something without using smiley faces or some sort of emote and people take them wrong or there are allot of misunderstandings.

I use emotes ALLOT, so people can physically see my intent. :thumbs:
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Crasez58 »

Meh i gotta have my books they just give me something to think about someting to keep my mind busy.

lmfao :twisted: as far as the other part goes i just dont give a shit what most people think i mean :D i dont really use emotes that often but being around yall ive started to much more
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

My wife says I'm contagious ... but she's allergic to me, so she's safe ;) I feel much the same for the record.... it's always easiest not to give a shit :beer:

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

My personal favorite settings are Forgotten realms and Dragonlance. I also have a soft spot in my heart for Mystara as I learned to play via. The Mentzer red box. O.k. I also dig Greyhawk!
Meph
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st & 2nd Edition

Post by Meph »

My favorite setting is Ravenloft but I am not such a huge fan of the whole demi-plane idea. I love gothic horror and think the setting fits well into any world. I am currently running my own homebrew world in a campaign we just began. It was a last minute decision for me to take over DMing for the group so I decided to run them through the DF module Spider Farm. Instead of finishing the adventure as written I had a group of goblins escape through the woods. Trackers located their lair in a swamp a few days away. The goblins had inhabited some old ruins and the upper 2 levels of the dungeon below it. The PCs are going to shortly need to come out as they are pretty beat up only a few rooms into the dungeon and they will soon get lost in the swamp. This is where Marias d'Tarascon comes into play, or whatever I decide to change its name to. This will give the PCs a home village to use as a base for the mega dungeon but before they can do that, they will have to solve the mystery of the locals disappearing and turning up as zombies. So that is how I will fit Night of the Walking dead into my world without the whole demi-plane. I am not too worried about the PCs abandoning the town since they have a Lawful Good Cleric and Paladin in the party. I am sure the Zombie Lord will love them =)
RivenBlade
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by RivenBlade »

What's DF stand for, I don't think I've heard of that one.
Make your first strike a killing strike