New to the planet, olde school player!

Back from the past? Been Lurking and finally want to say hi? Or simply new to the Planet? This is the place to introduce yourself to everyone else.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

New to the planet, olde school player!

Post by Brightmantle »

Greetings one and all,
I am a long time ad&d player and collector, Brightmantle's the name- as in the keeper of secrets. I've been lurking here at pad&d for six months and decided to make my joining the community official. Happy to be here. So I guess I'll begin by sharing my gaming background.

I began playing d&d in 1988 in my 7th to 8th grade year of school. Our group began with Frank Mentzer's BECMI which we played through 1989 when a big brother of one Justin France came home from college and introduced us to Gary's ad&d. Man, from then on I was Hooked! Thus began my love affair with ad&d. We had years of great fun playing 1st and moved on to 2nd in the early 1990's and have continued playing and collecting tsr era Dungeons and Dragons ever since. Ad&d is absolutely my favorite game, I have tried but do not grock the post 2000 era games (wotc&d) no offence meant, it's not fun to me and I find it overly and needlessly complicated. So for me 1999 was a very sad year. Not one to play what I didn't dig, I have kept on rocking Ad&d for both the 3e and 4e era with no signs of stopping. Has it really been almost 26 years now? I guess I'm a grognard- and I'm proud of that.
So anyway, I dig artists from the ad&d era (Elmore, Easley, Caldwell, Parkinson, Brom) and collect masterwork series mini's from these fantasy legends. My wife and son play D&D with me and she is an accomplished painter so we have nearly 300 figs, we play with figures more often than not . Mini's are fun!
I began playing in a time when the game was being persecuted heavily by m.a.d.d. and have personally faced the vitriol of the simple, uneducated, and ignorant: when I was a teen I was made to destroy my gaming material in front of my parents who had been given the book "A stairway to hell" which derides d&d falsely - by a concerned mother. I have payed a steep price to be a gamer, and was a pariah growing up. So when I tell you I am a proud ad&der know that I mean it. "waves" Hi Mom!
I am happy to be a member of pad&d, and I look forward to good times discussing this awesome hobby with you good folks,
I plan to be active and hope to become a valued and productive member of the Borg of d&d.
Sorry for the wall o' text. Bonus points for anyone know who Brightmantle is and where the reference comes from.
Happy gaming folks.
A king without a sword, the land without a king!
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: New to the planet, olde school player!

Post by Stik »

As a fellow survivor of those bad old "tool of the devil" days, let me welcome you aboard.
I started playing in late in 1978, and got my Basic set just in time for the "Great Dice Shortage of '79" . Back then we had to listen to all the hysteria and on occasion defend our hobby from wackos.
Luckily my friends and I were fortunate enough to have understanding parents who did not object. We even had a sympathetic pastor at the local Lutheran church who gave us a classroom to play in on Thursday nights.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Thanks for the welcome Stik. Appriciate that you fought the good fight as well. Thankfully I grew up: I don't blame faith, and held on to mine. Ignorance breeds fear in all facets of humanity. I'm over it- but it did help to shape my gaming experience so: because it's relevant I mentioned it.
rredmond
Peddler
Peddler

Post by rredmond »

Welcome! Great story, AD&D is where it's at!
The only Brightmantle I know is the dwarven deity: http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php ... ightmantle
And even that is after my time.
Be well!
--Ron--
http://www.unseenservant.us
for Play by Post gaming!
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

rredmond wrote:Welcome! Great story, AD&D is where it's at!
The only Brightmantle I know is the dwarven deity: http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php ... ightmantle
And even that is after my time.
Be well!
--Ron--
"Ding ..ding....ding"! That's the one. Thanks for the welcome Ron. I love dwarves.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Yes welcome! Glad to hear that you all have fought the good battle for AD&D. That's one of the main reasons I created padnd and try to maintain an old school presence online that persists, even through some troubled times. This game is a generational game and I'm doing my part to keep that going by adding a new player to my own gaming group that's 19 years old. We also have a 17 year old... playing with us old guys ;)

Anyway, welcome Brightmantle! I'm hoping that PADnD can crawl out from the depths of hell with some new (fresh take) users and once again be "THE" place to talk D&D. Post all you lke, be patient and be open minded (not like me) :lol:

Contribute where you can and don't bring up "Pal-Assassins" :mrgreen:
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I am enjoying being a member of the pad&d community!
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Crasez58 »

Hiya :D and welcome! Im pretty sure I'm the young guy around here (glad I misse all the insanity) but I've been playing for a while.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Hey now, your not that young, we do have a few 17 year olds on here. They just don't post often ;) Your old enough to keep coming back :lol:
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

You gave me a nice welcome, let me reciprocate. Don't worry about running long on your introduction, it was all very interesting! Like I said on my introduction thread, glad you're aboard!
_Matt_
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

@RPG Dino, Thanks man! I hope to see alot more of you on the forums.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

me too! Looks like we are getting a good group on here again. Nice to see indeed!