WHAT'S YOUR BEST MANUVER EVER??

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Shao Khan
Freeman
Freeman

WHAT'S YOUR BEST MANUVER EVER??

Post by Shao Khan »

So what made it so very awesome that it sticks in your mind. Doesn't have to be combat. Epic feats, close calls, and clever combos..any level of your perceived kick-assery

Examples:

In a battlesystem game I cast stoneskin on trolls, loaded them in catapults and shot them THRU the Keeps walls. Troll Loads.

If my Red-dragon casts airy water his breath weapon works underwater!! (council of wyrms approved)

One char would use simple cantrip spells to make harmless star wars quality 3d holomaps for our war-room generals.

I made gunpowder in an OA game by straining cow urine thru hay and collecting the nitrates. Saltpeter and willow charcoal. Don't remember. ((I rolled a one and killed me and the girl next to me, sank the ship I was on to, I was in the lower hold fighting giant otters)) Image
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: WHAT'S YOUR BEST MANUVER EVER??

Post by Crasez58 »

I had a player who researched a new spell "cone of force" cast it backward and tied a goat at the wide end "ultimate dragon killing spell"
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

Well, as you may know now, I'm the DM always, so I don't have a good move of my own.

However one that sticks out for my players was the time an evil minded mage in the party was confronted by a large group of ogres bent on crushing all before them (as usual). I planned on making them all submit to my will as the DM, as they were badly outnumbered... something like 25-5. I would have crushed them all for sure .... however that mage just happen to have 2 transmute stone to mud spells memorized and promptly cast one to turn this massive area into a giant pool of mud and slugg. Then as the DM was scrambling to get his mighty ogres free from this well placed spell, he reversed it :cry:

It's not often, but the DM can be foiled :lol:

The mage referred to that event afterwards as "Auto XP" spell ... :oops:
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Shao Khan
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Shao Khan »

Oh a DM can have the BEST moves ever, it's just npc's pulling them off. That troll thing was me Dm'n a spelljammer game.

I've actually had the rock to mud thing done to us. But she didn't kill us. Young dragon kept kicking us back into a mud hole until we we're all in there at the same time and then locked us in with mostly just our heads sticking out. Then the dragon treated us like the 3-stooges for a few days until we gave in and took on her quest.

That's the same DM that had a npc that would always attck my weapon first and destroy it. By round 10 I was out of weapons and she would goto town on me with the grappling. :evil:
Shao Khan
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Shao Khan »

Drow used Levitate to make himself weightless. She used ballistic attck to projectile him into a building 10ft away.
They make dark skid marks fyi.
Shao Khan
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Shao Khan »

1st level. I just phucked up three bandits with a small iron skillet tied to a rope. Kinda like a retarded nun-chuk.
Bard, Rope use, Lasso, suck it.
You ever see Jackie Chan with that rope and a horseshoe? Like that.
Me and DM, we're both still laughing
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

I haven't topped my one trick I used with a Fighter/Rogue in 3rd Ed against a Barbarian (who happened to be the DMs bro and had a ton of magic items compared to my single flaming rapier).

I had some time to prepare, and I ended up with slicking a 50 foot length of rope with oil, and inserted smokesticks every 5 or so feet. First round, rolled it out, put my flaming rapier to it, and boom, smokescreen.

Sadly, it didn't change the outcome of the fight, as I didn't think of one detail: turning the damn flame off. Barbarian asked if he could see the glow in the smoke, and the DM said yeah, and he charged that spot, and grappled me. Being a Fighter/Rogue, that was basically it right there. Got a great reaction from everyone at the table when I pulled that one out at least.

More recently, we've been running Edge of the Empire, the new Star Wars RPG from Fantasy Flight (incredible system btw). And one of the most memorable fights was when the party tried to steal a Freighter from a Trandoshan smuggler. The parties smuggler pulled some parkour bullcrap and jumped on the top of the craft, but wasn't nearly as stealthy as he though he was. Tried to get the drop on the Trandoshan, and ended up in close quarters with a very angry and strong alien. Who promptly disarmed him and tossed him aside like trash to deal with the wookie who followed the smuggler (since everyone else bugged the loading ramp thanks to excessive grenade use).

Sadly, a Trandoshan versus a Wookie with a vibroaxe is a bit of a one sided fight, although he managed to rough him up a bit (smuggler tried punching him, but he just laughed at the puny human).
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

What the hell is a smoke stick CK... is that a 3E thing or a DM custom thing? or am I missing something :lol: Sounds like you had a great idea though... would have been great inside a small cavern.
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

Don't remember the exact wording, but basically just as the name implies. A small stick, apply heat, then you have a 5 foot by 5 foot cloud of smoke. Think I used like 10 on that one lol.

Considerably less successful: tying a bunch of those to an alchemist fire flask and throwing them at the guy. Didn't work out nearly as well as I had hoped.
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

try rolling in a barrel for of those next time... that should smoke out an entire cavern :lol:
Shao Khan
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Shao Khan »

I got served. Portable holes suck, especially if they lay them where your going to be jumping for cover and there's a forge in the room below. All my items exploded in one magical mushroom cloud of inescapable death. There was nothing left of me to rezz or reincarnate imo.
She did 1d10 per spell level destroyed. Is that normal?
CK is making SW sound pretty awesome I must say.